Registered
7,462 Posts

·
Piker
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A-10 LIVE ON ESPN+ HIGHLIGHTS MEN'S BASKETBALL MEDIA DAY SCHEDULE THURSDAY
Release: 10/22/2019

BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- The 2019-20 Atlantic 10 men's basketball season is two weeks away from tip-off, and the league will hold its annual Media Day Thursday at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. For the seventh straight year, A-10 Live will be interviewing all 14 head coaches. The show, which is produced on-site at Media Day, will also feature Atlantic 10 Commissioner Bernadette V. McGlade and BSE Global’s Alton Byrd, part of the iconic Brooklyn arena's A-10 Championship team. Long-time college basketball reporter and analyst Andy Katz will serve as the host for the third straight year.

The interviews can be seen live on ESPN+ beginning at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday.

The Atlantic 10 will also release the 2019-20 Preseason All-Conference Teams and the Preseason Poll at Media Day.

A complete schedule of coaches for A-10 Live! at Media Day is below.

MORNING SESSION - WATCH LIVE

10:00 – Keith Dambrot (Duquesne), Chris Mooney (Richmond)

10:30 – Bob McKillop (Davidson), Anthony Grant (Dayton), Mike Rhoades (VCU)

11:00 – Mark Schmidt (St. Bonaventure), Travis Ford (Saint Louis)

11:30 – Bernadette McGlade (A-10), Alton Byrd (Barclays Center)

AFTERNOON SESSION - WATCH LIVE

1:45 – Dave Paulsen (George Mason), David Cox (Rhode Island), Billy Lange (Saint Joseph’s)
2:15 – Jamion Christian (George Washington), Matt McCall (Massachusetts)

2:45 – Jeff Neubauer (Fordham), Ashley Howard (La Salle)

The 2019-20 men’s basketball season tips off on Tuesday, Nov. 5. Atlantic 10 Conference play begins Thursday, Jan. 2. The season will culminate with the 2020 Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championship, which will be played at Barclays Center. The league’s premier event will begin Wednesday, March 11 and the league will crown its 2020 champion on March 15.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Katz also works for NCAA.com and has been around to many media days this year. He has actually shown to give a shit about non P5 schools so he is ok in my book. Hes not a pay for hype douche like Rothstein.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I am also not a fan. At least DiSano knew the league inside and out.

This is all on ESPN+ for those who didn't know.
I think Katz knew more about the A10 when he was working for ESPN. He's slipped a little, I still think very knowledgable, but now his job is to know the B1G inside and out, and generate clicks a la fan favorite Rothstein as AA mentioned.

We're caught in no man's land. We need a media day and a national presence, but no "national" presenter wants to make time for us. We're conference #8 , we don't play football, and the general consensus is a giant shoulder shrug. Need to make some waves sooner than later.

ETA.. '03 was posting same time as me.. I would have to echo he has shown love for the A10 and non-power conference schools consistently throughout his career, even while working for BCS-shill ESPN.

·
Piker
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VCU PICKED TO WIN ATLANTIC 10 MEN'S BASKETBALL

2019-20 Preseason Poll and Awards

BROOKLYN, N.Y. — VCU has been selected as Atlantic 10 Conference men’s basketball champions in the league’s 2019-20 men’s basketball preseason poll. The conference announced the poll and preseason all-conference awards Thursday in conjunction with its annual Media Day, held at Barclays Center, home of the 2020 A-10 Men’s Basketball Championship. The awards and poll were chosen by a panel of the league’s head coaches and select media members.

The Rams won the Atlantic 10 regular season in 2019-20, and last won the A-10 Championship in 2015. VCU returns four of five starters and had 19 first-place votes in the poll with 381 points. Led by Preseason All-Conference selections Marcus Evans, Marcus Santos-Silva and De’Riante Jenkins, the Rams finished 25-8 overall last year, 16-2 in the A-10 and earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Davidson was picked second in the 2019-20 preseason poll. The Wildcats totaled 359 points, including eight first-place votes. Davidson returns 2019 A-10 Player of the Year Jon Axel Gudmundsson and 2018 Rookie of the Year Kellan Grady, both of whom are Preseason All-Conference First Team selections. The ‘Cats finished at 24-10 last year, 14-4 in the A-10.

Dayton was picked third in the poll with 341 points and one first-place vote. UD’s dynamic, high-flying freshman forward Obi Toppin was last year’s A-10 Rookie of the Year and is a Preseason All-Conference First Team selection this season. His junior teammate Jalen Crutcher was named to the Preseason All-Conference Second Team.

Led by Preseason All-Conference First Team Cyril Langevine, Rhode Island garnered 283 poll points to rank fourth. The Rams also return Preseason All-Conference Second Team selection Jeff Dowtin and Third Team selection Fatts Russell who were, along with Langevine, a big part of the Rhody NCAA run in 2018.

St. Bonaventure, which played in last year’s championship final, was picked fifth with 280 points. Richmond was sixth with 248 points and defending champion Saint Louis was chosen seventh with 225 points in the voting. Duquesne (196 points), George Mason (185 points) and La Salle (133 points) finished eighth, ninth and 10th in the poll, while Massachusetts, George Washington, Saint Joseph’s and Fordham rounded out the preseason rankings, respectively.

Richmond’s Jacob Gilyard was the sixth member of the Preseason All-Conference First Team, which was expanded to six members to match the A-10 postseason awards. George Mason’s Justin Kier, Richmond’s Grant Golden, Kyle Lofton of St. Bonaventure and Hasahn French of Saint Louis, joined Crutcher and Dowtin on the Preseason Second Team All-Conference.

Sincere Carry of Duquesne, St. Bonaventure's Osun Osunniyi and Jordan Goodwin of Saint Louis were all named to the Preseason All-Conference Third Team along with Russell, Jenkins and Santos-Silva. Langevine, Gilyard, Osunniyi, French and Evans were all chosen for the Preseason All-Defensive Team.

The 2019-20 men’s basketball season tips off on Tuesday, Nov. 5 while Conference play begins on Thursday, Jan. 2. The season will culminate with the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championship, which will be played at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. The league’s premier event will begin Wed., March 11, and the league will crown its 2020 champion on March 15, Selection Sunday. Tickets are on sale now through Ticketmaster, institutional box offices and the Barclays Center box office.

PRESEASON POLL (First-place votes in parenthesis)

1. VCU (19) ............................................................ 381

2. Davidson (8) .................................................... 359

3. Dayton (1) ......................................................... 341

4. Rhode Island ................................................... 283

5. St. Bonaventure .............................................. 280

6. Richmond ......................................................... 248

7. Saint Louis ........................................................ 225

8. Duquesne ........................................................ 196

9. George Mason ................................................ 185

10. La Salle .............................................................. 133

11. Massachusetts ................................................ 103

12. George Washington ..................................... 93

13. Saint Joseph’s ................................................. 65

14. Fordham ........................................................... 48

PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE FIRST TEAM

Kellan Grady, Davidson

Jon Axel Gudmundsson, Davidson

Obi Toppin, Dayton

Cyril Langevine, Rhode Island

Jacob Gilyard, Richmond

Marcus Evans, VCU

PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE SECOND TEAM

Jalen Crutcher, Dayton

Justin Kier, George Mason

Jeff Dowtin, Rhode Island

Grant Golden, Richmond

Kyle Lofton, St. Bonaventure

Hasahn French, Saint Louis

PRESEASON ALL-CONFERENCE THIRD TEAM

Sincere Carry, Duquesne

Fatts Russell, Rhode Island

Osun Osunniyi, St. Bonaventure

Jordan Goodwin, Saint Louis

De'Riante Jenkins, VCU

Marcus Santos-Silva, VCU

PRESEASON ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM

Cyril Langevine, Rhode Island

Jacob Gilyard, Richmond

Osun Osunniyi, St. Bonaventure

Hasahn French, Saint Louis

Marcus Evans, VCU

·
Piker
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That 3rd team would give the 1st team a run for their $. Oh, what is up with 6 players on each preseason all-A10 team?

·
Piker
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why would I do that? are you retiring?
I should retire. I want to walk the earth. Maybe have a bourbon at The Burton.

Oh, FYI.....Issac Vann for VCU covers the best guard every game. Evans is a good defender but Vann is the best on the VCU team. Interesting choice there.

·
Piker
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes! They are talking about bus rides to Olean and making it sound like it is in the far reaches of Siberia.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I should retire. I want to walk the earth. Maybe have a bourbon at The Burton.

Oh, FYI.....Issac Vann for VCU covers the best guard every game. Evans is a good defender but Vann is the best on the VCU team. Interesting choice there.
Vann doesn't cover the best guard, that would be silly to cover ME...

But Vann is the name I meant was left off, grasshopper...

·
Piker
8,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The production value of this A10 broadcast is absolutely horrible. Mics are dropping and popping.They just had the mic live before Bernie's interview and she was chiding Katz. She was telling him what to talk about and what to ask her. Incredible how a pre-planned Media Day is so horrible.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts