·
Registered
2,680 Posts
"and perhaps the team's most reliable player in Juan Fernandez"

LOLno. Absolutely awful.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Got a lot right, tho. Tossup, grab bag conf. When you're watching your own team play this year, you may be missing some of the best college basketball available. (other A-10 games !) I'll have to get a "Haupper" and all the sports packages.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
If anyone really thinks Matt Kavanaugh is a key for Dayton this year, they probably shouldn't be writing preview posts. At least pay a little bit of attention. He's the 7th or 8th most important player. Couldn't care less about where they are picked, but come on, at least try to understand what they will present on the floor.

Richmond's paragraph was embarrassingly bad, too. "They return 4 starters, and might be an extreme long shot to win the league!". Great job on that one, skippy.

The whole article read like a really bad review of someone else's thoughts.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I'll believe Xavier finishes as low as 7th when I see it. Same for Temple.
I'd agree... however, I don't think it's worth arguing. Predictions are 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16.
But each slot isn't one game, like saying Xavier at 8-8, behind LaSalle at 10-6.

Last season we finished: 1-2-3-3-5-5-5-5-9-9-11-11-13-14. Tie-breakers determined seeds.

What's crazy about this league, is that even BEFORE adding in Butler and VCU, the difference between THIRD and EIGHTH was ONE SHOT:

Tie game, end of regulation and UMass' Jesse Morgan attempts a three against vs Rhode Island.
It was blocked and the seeds were #3 Xavier, #4 Bona, #5 SJU, #6 Dayton, #7 LaSalle, #8 UMass.
Had it gone in, the seeds would have been: #3 UMass, #4 Xavier, #5 Bona, #6 SJU, #7 Dayton, #8 LaSalle.

So, I don't read it as 5 LaSalle (11-5), 6 Temple (10-6), 7 Xavier (9-7).
I read it as LaSalle (11-5), Temple (11-5), Xavier (11-5), with strenght of rival opponent determing the tie-breakers, easiest to toughest.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Butler in 8th should provoke some comments on this board.

Having a 16 team league hasn't hampered the Big Least in getting at large bids, but it's suppose to be a problem for us?

Their answer? Play top 50 RPI's in OOC. I thought we were suppose to be playing lower RPI teams to guarantee wins? Actually I think they got that right predicated on Bobinski's comments about bubble team selections.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If anyone really thinks Matt Kavanaugh is a key for Dayton this year, they probably shouldn't be writing preview posts. At least pay a little bit of attention. He's the 7th or 8th most important player.
There's 6 - 7 guys more important than the Kavs? Who are they besides Dilliard?

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
There's 6 - 7 guys more important than the Kavs? Who are they besides Dilliard?
Dillard - His team
Sanford - need a second scorer and his defense
Derenbecker - need his shooting and all around ability
Benson - far and away the best post player, his return is probably as important as Dillard
Oliver - has to become a legit weapon. Best defender on the team.
Price - needs to be capable of 8-10 minutes a night, you don't want Dillard averaging 35+ min.
Gavrilovic - Needs to improve on defense, because his skill level on offense is high

I like Kavanaugh. He's easy to root for. He's a lock to give the same production whether they win 24 or 8 games. I don't see him being a reason why they win or lose more than a game or two. The others can impact several, and collectively the whole season.

The only scholly guys I rate lower on the importance scale are Robinson and Scott. I think their learning curve will be steep. It's not easy to step into a big, physical league and hit the ground running as an interior player. Although I do think one or both will be capable of contributing right away, I don't think they need it to happen.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Butler in 8th should provoke some comments on this board.

Having a 16 team league hasn't hampered the Big Least in getting at large bids, but it's suppose to be a problem for us?

Their answer? Play top 50 RPI's in OOC. I thought we were suppose to be playing lower RPI teams to guarantee wins? Actually I think they got that right predicated on Bobinski's comments about bubble team selections.
#1 - You're just trying to provoke me, aren't you? :D

#2 - I don't think they made an effort to schedule more Top 50 OOC opponents because of VCU/Butler. I think their schedules were probably done way before that. If ESPN couldn't find a Butler/Xavier solution, then there's no way someone else was gonna suddenly add games against BCS Top 50 RPI programs, which are the toughest to get (so much so that X made a smart-*** post on the scheduling message board about it two years ago. Comedy gold.)

#3 - The main point to take out of preseason predictions is "Holy crap, one of THOSE TEAMS is going to finish 6th, 7th, 8th?" (or 16th). Because 5-8 will probably be a tie-breaker.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Adam hit the nail on the head when it comes to Kavs. He is what he is and you know exactly what we're going to get. I don't expect a jump of 9 and 6 to say 13 and 9 from him. He's a 9 and 6 guy which is perfectly adequate in this league.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
#1 - You're just trying to provoke me, aren't you? :D
Not really. I think the guy has a point though.

For X this will be a really tough year. Lost our backcourt and center, who accounted for 60% of our scoring. Good recruiting class, but a lot of unknowns that will test Mack's ability as a coach.

If we do 10-6 again in conference that would be great. Anything less, and if we are on the bubble, we'll need some of the top 50 RPI wins OOC to get in. That's all.

·
Registered
880 Posts

For X this will be a really tough year. Lost our backcourt and center, who accounted for 60% of our scoring. Good recruiting class, but a lot of unknowns that will test Mack's ability as a coach.

If we do 10-6 again in conference that would be great. Anything less, and if we are on the bubble, we'll need some of the top 50 RPI wins OOC to get in. That's all.
I've heard your three shooting is going to be awful.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Because we'll lose more in conference, we need to play more games we'll lose OOC, and have even worse records?

For X this will be a really tough year.
So you should schedule lots of tough games you might not win, finish 17-13 and go to the NIT?

If we do 10-6 again in conference that would be great.
If you don't get to 20 wins, marquee wins aren't helping you, anyway.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Indeed.

I wouldn't be shocked if Xavier went with something like this...

PG - Christon, Davis
SG - Wells, Redford, M. Davis
SF - Philmore, Martin
PF - Taylor, Philmore, Reynolds, Farr
C - Robinson, Reynolds, Farr

...at least to start the year.
Neither would I, but I didn't choose this because it doesn't have a single 3-point threat in the starting line-up.

Opponents would just pack in the middle, close the driving and passing lanes, and force Xavier to take long jump shots.

Coach Mack may decide to go with both Travis Taylor and Isaiah Philmore.

Given that Jeff Robinson's natural position is PF, and Dez Wells' natural position is SF, Mack would essentially be starting three Power Forwards, a drive-to-the-hoop Small Forward, and a drive-to-the-hoop freshman Point Guard.

That is certainly an interesting concept, but no head coach in his right mind would do so unless he had no other choice.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Semaj, Redford and Myles? Dee and Dez?

Note Dame Prep -

Myles Davis 6'3 Xavier - Myles proved again why he is probably the best three point shooter in the country, knocking down 7/7 second half trifectas. Davis is one of the elite scorers in New England in the Company of Ricardo Ledo (Providence), Aaron Thomas (Florida State) and Nick Stauskas (Michigan). Every time we see he seems to be making more and more athletic plays on both sides of the court, we are sure he is putting in extra hours in the gym.
- Ballas
Redford made 9 of 10 3 pointers playing 17-18 mins. a game against All-Pro teams in Europe last week.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Adam hit the nail on the head when it comes to Kavs. He is what he is and you know exactly what we're going to get. I don't expect a jump of 9 and 6 to say 13 and 9 from him. He's a 9 and 6 guy which is perfectly adequate in this league.
UD will be decent offensively as usual. The big deal is on the defensive end (as always) where they haven't been able to get a defensive stop in a down to the wire big game in about 10 years. Archie needs guys who will make the defensive committment. Until then, same 'ol same 'ol, match baskets to the end, then collapse. This is how you get to the Dance. Defense.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
UD will be decent offensively as usual. The big deal is on the defensive end (as always) where they haven't been able to get a defensive stop in a down to the wire big game in about 10 years. Archie needs guys who will make the defensive committment. Until then, same 'ol same 'ol, match baskets to the end, then collapse. This is how you get to the Dance. Defense.
I think it has only been 1 year (last year) that our offense eclipsed our defense. Under both Purnell and Gregory, our defense was our strength.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts