Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This should be a fun thread during the Atlantic 10's 2012-13 non-conference schedule.

In order to qualify for recognition on this thread of shame, an Atlantic 10 team must lose a game to a non-conference team it was favored to beat during the 2012-13 regular seaon.

On Friday November 9th, no favored A10 teams lost.

11/10 A-10 Games - Post # 1

Scheduled Games:

GEORGE WASHINGTON (-3) hosts Youngstown State

Final: Youngstown State 80, GEORGE WASHINGTON 73
Poorer teams are usually poorer shooting teams that struggle to create baskets.

GW lost to Youngstown state for that reason. The Colonials did not generate a lot of easy shot opportunities and when they did, they often missed. Seniors Kromah, Byrnes and Smith were a combined 6-23 and GW shot 27% on treys.

The defense was a problem in the first half, too. Colonials tightened up in the second half but the damage was done. They played catchup the whole way.

I thought Youngstown State was well coached and they played a good game.

Good news for GW is that the team has some talented youngsters who will get better rapidly as the year progresses. Frosh PG Joe McDonald was shaky to start and had five TOs, but he has a college-ready body and looks like a player. He settled down in the second half.

Small forward Patricio Garino was the second leading scorer and top rebounder for the game. He looked like GW's best all round player.

Still, if GW doesnt get more from its seniors it will be a long season.

·
Administrator
68,864 Posts
This should be an interesting thread. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing that I was checking A-10 scores the other day just to know whether or not I'd need to prepare myself for any shenanigans 'round these parts.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Whatever. If you want to keep inciting him, go for it.
I'm with 84 on this issue. Ignore Muddy at all costs. Even a milli-cent is to much to "spend" on the "Mudster"!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
When you open with findlay, walsh, Arkansas State and colorado, you shouldn't be talking about suck factors.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
When you open with findlay, walsh, Arkansas State and colorado, you shouldn't be talking about suck factors.
Really? Complaining about UD's exhibition foes? And Colorado? Colorado is actually a pretty good team. That's some off-brand trolling.

·
Registered
598 Posts
"A10 Suck Factor" games was actually coined by WH in his Dayton Nonconference Forecast, to mean he was picking at least one loss for UD that shouldn't have been a loss because A10 teams just tend to have one every year.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
just for clarification, the "A-10 suck factor" was coined long before the Dayton nonconference forecast, WH has been talking about it for years.

Other than that, ignore is a lovely feature.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Really? Complaining about UD's exhibition foes? And Colorado? Colorado is actually a pretty good team. That's some off-brand trolling.
Colorado made the NCAA last year and if UD manages to win that it could be a ranked opponent in Baylor. But let's talk some more about 3rd ranked Findlay.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I didnt coin the phrase A-10 suck factor. I am not that clever.

But the phrase caught on, 5-6 years ago, during a down period when it seemed like the league was losing more than its normal share of games we considered gimmes. Truthfully, it's an affliction for all leagues, not just the A-10.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Didn't Colorado win the Pac 10 Tournament and go to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament, beating UNLV and losing to Baylor last year? I'm not sure how many guys they lost (ruling out a Xavier-like offseason meltdown), but I'm expecting a stern test.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Do you get a reprieve if it turns out that the Sucky loss was actually OK? Youngstown State looks like a 20-win team at this point.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Sorry BM-GW,

The only factors that are relevant for the purposes of recognition on this thread are:

(1) The game must be played during the 2012-13 regular season.

(2) The game must be played against a non-conference opponent (i.e. today's Buter-Xavier game is ineligible).

(3) The Atlantic 10 team must be favored to win the game according to the latest spread posted on this MB.

(4) The Atlantic 10 team must lose the game.

Re: 11/13 A-10 Games (Huge day!) - Post # 1

Today's eligible 'A10 Suck Factor' games:

UMASS (-9.5) plays Harvard at 10 am ESPN
Temple (-3.5) plays KENT ST at 12 pm ESPN
VCU (-7) plays Wichita St at 7 pm ESPNU
RICHMOND (-15) plays NC-Wilmington at 7 pm
CHARLOTTE (-11) plays Georgia Southern at 9 pm NBC Sports Network

Today's ineligible 'A10 Suck Factor' games:

XAVIER (+4) plays Butler at 4 pm ESPN
Fordham (No Line) plays Robert Morris (NIT Tipoff Round 2, game played in Pittsburgh) at 6 pm

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Well, the loss is supposed to be to a clearly inferior team. And it usually takes place on the home court of an A-10 team.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.