Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this won't be a popular post, but has anyone considered making the A10 Talk forums the new place to discuss hoops and all things A10 related? The website is literally devoted to our conference, and the guys who run it do a pretty amazing job. I know that we have used this forum for a long time, but now that the ugly brownish orange color is gone, it has really lost its allure to me. Just a thought. Even if you don't want to move, I would still suggest you follow them on Twitter. Here is a link to the forums:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm not a big poster here, but I like the idea of moving over there. Would help support those guys and would be nice to have forums and news all in one place.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Some of our folks have posted over there, it just never gained much traction. I think a lot of us enjoy the .. uhh .. liberties we get here wrt language and content. Our board is basically self-policed and I don't think we'd get that over there. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I'm torn.

I don't think the forum facelift is reason enough to leave. I think everyone has a shock of change going, but it's not like any of the changes are "bad" changes, just "different." Still the same site, just different software running it. It takes some getting used to. The other board I frequent a ton (about the NY Mets, not A-10 hoops) just switched to the same company's software a month earlier, so I probably have a leg up on that adjustment period.

If everyone stays, this is the new normal and it will be fine.

I do understand the logic: A-10 talk is A-10 guys, and having more people to talk A-10 with is better than fewer, so joining forces with them on the A-10 guys-run site makes a lot of sense. However, the "police itself" board style with swearing and inappropriate jokes and little to no moderation is awesome and I'd hate to lose that. I'd also hate to lose traffic on this board just because of a style change.

So, if y'all go, I'll follow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Grant Labedz from A10 Talk here. In short, we would love to facilitate a movement over to our forum if you all want a new home to discuss A-10 hoops. To address some of your concerns, policing will not be an issue on the site, as it is your community and you guys can make the rules regarding cursing, etc. We're not worried about that and would rather see our forum active with users and content. We have been fairly unsuccessful at getting our forum active in the past, but we get a lot of traffic on the articles we write and think the forum could be a popular place to discuss A-10 hoops with the right injection of frequent posting from a community that already posts a lot. We're open to talking about making changes to the current forum platform to accommodate anything you guys would want to see before deciding whether to move over. Happy to have a more formal discussion about this. Shoot me a private message (not sure if that's how this works on here) or an email and we can chat some more.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Fair points about the loose environment here, which may not fly over on A10 Talk.

I don't think changes here are a reason to move. I help run a much larger forum site than this and we switched from vBulletin to XenForo a few years ago. Much better platform, but as always, changes take some getting used to. I think this was more an opportunity of "Well, if we have to get used to new stuff, is it worth doing so over at a place more closely tied to our interest?"

I'd expect the A10 Talk guys would be very invested in fostering the community there if they can get a critical mass, and I can see some nice benefits to closer ties with beat writers, such as they are. The hands-off environment here is good in some ways, but obviously there's really not much keeping us here other than the fact we're already here.

Edit: Beaten to the punch while I was typing...

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Forums are up. I would advise everyone to sign up and give it a whirl. It took me all of two seconds to join.

Appreciate you all giving this a look. Our guy Matt Morton worked hard to make it more user-friendly and visually pleasing. Like I mentioned before, we really want to get our discussion board going, so if you guys are considering a new place to talk hoops, let me or the team know what we can do to make the A10 Talk forum a good home.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I’ve been posting on this forum for +14 years as have most of the regulars. It’s like going to a favorite neighborhood bar. I like it here and get enough perspective of the conference. There really isn’t that much swearing and off color comments

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I’ve been posting on this forum for +14 years as have most of the regulars. It’s like going to a favorite neighborhood bar. I like it here and get enough perspective of the conference. There really isn’t that much swearing and off color comments
And JAF would know as he is on the receiving end of a lot of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts