Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know earlier I said that Portland might be getting an ABA team..but I can't find proof anywhere, so I e-mailed the president (according to their web site) of the ABA..

but here's something to enjoy.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
does anyone else think the NBA should wise up and have a minor league system?

So that way, players like Travis Outlaw, and others, can actually play the game instead of rotting on the bench?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

So that way, players like Travis Outlaw, and others, can actually play the game instead of rotting on the bench?
yes-absolutely

they can call it the "IL League" j/k :grinning:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts

Yes, I think they should. Will it happen this decade? I'm not counting on it.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Almost every other sport has a minor league where reserve players can get valuable playing time. The NBA should do this instead of letting their players rot on the bench...

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I think the problem is Owner participation. What I mean by that is if you look at how the WNBA started out, the existing NBA ownership group IIRC were granted ownership.

The concept of the minor leagues System has been suggested, but IIRC it was again a situation where the existing NBA owners would be pitching in to initiate the league, or they have been holding out for a individual to get it going.

What the should d is look for independent owners that sign contracts with NBA teams to operate in tandem. Look to cities like San Diego, Las Vegas, St Louis, Cinncinatti, Pittsburg, Tampa etc etc...Big cities with no existing NBA team. Obviously some smaller cities would have to be included, like Columbus and Buffalo maybe even as small as Spokane, but I wouldn't go smaller than that, and I question weather that may be too small. If needed teams could sign with 2 NBA squads so they could start out with like 15 teams, then add as the leagues success grows. Players like DA could go there to work back into shape. Kinda like how Minor league baseball is now.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
An NBA minor league would be an excellent idea. A few problems:

1) The union has openly been hostile to them as they can't control them as much and more revenue would go there and cause an overall decrease in player salaries..

2) It's pulls more kids out of college early... and that creates a publicity problem the NBA does not want.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
An NBA minor league would be an excellent idea. A few problems:

1) The union has openly been hostile to them as they can't control them as much and more revenue would go there and cause an overall decrease in player salaries..
There would obviously need to fairly extensive contract to negotiate.

2) It's pulls more kids out of college early... and that creates a publicity problem the NBA does not want.
I think the rumored concept of minimum age limit would have to be implemented. I'd say 20 years old

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
We've already got the CBA, which is basically a farm team system, sans strict ties to specific teams. What areas does that lack in?

Can a player who's rights are held by an NBA team play in the CBA, like 2nd rounders do in the Euro leagues?

Dan

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!
We've already got the CBA, which is basically a farm team system, sans strict ties to specific teams. What areas does that lack in?

Can a player who's rights are held by an NBA team play in the CBA, like 2nd rounders do in the Euro leagues?

Dan
because the CBA isn't affiliated directly with the NBA like the Portland Beavers are an affiliate of the San Diego Padres.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I'm thinking that strict ties would be needed so players like travis Outlaw, who is a guranteed contract player, can be assigned to Portlands CBA Eugene(example) affiliate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
As someone who has followed minor league basketball over the years (yeah, I've got to get a life!), I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

First of all, the current "ABA" is a joke. It is a pitiful low level minor league that bears no relation to the original ABA that featured Dr. J, the Iceman, Maurice Lucas and Snapper. Go to their website....there are no stats, most games have no box scores and most teams receive no coverage in their local markets.

My understanding on why the NBA doesn't have a true minor league system where a guy like Travis could be playing is because the players union will never allow it. The NBA does now have the NBDL and for years before that had a deal with the CBA as developmenal leagues. Those options are there, but the deal with the union prevents sending players under contract down for seasoning like in hockey and basketball. I guess until recently the colleges were like the minor leagues that developed players for the NBA, but now with so many coming out before they are ready there is a need for a system like baseball or hockey.....but it probably won't happen anytime soon.

Last....minor league basketball is a very tough business....primarily because of competition everywhere from college and high school basketball. That is why minor league baseball and hockey is so much more widespread....there isn't the same level of competition from the college and high school versions. Minor league basketball never works in big cities like those that were mentioned above. The only place it has ever found some level of success is in select CBA cities...usually in the upper midwest....usually where there isn't direct competition from major college programs...i.e. Sioux Falls, Bismark, Fort Wayne, Yakima, Rockford, etc. The NBA has tried the same model in the southeast with the NBDL and is failing tremendously. Their attendance numbers are pitiful, even compared to the CBA. I'd be surprised if the NBDL is around in 2-3 years.

As for Portland in the ABA.....I'd be surprised if that league is around in 6 months.....and either way, Portland is a graveyard for minor league teams....arena football, roller hockey, ABL, WNBA, indoor soccer, etc.

·
Registered
519 Posts
They do it is called the NBDL and it is mostly east coast teams and you can find it on NBA.com top left of the website next to the WNBA In fact i put the link to the website here

LINK HERE

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by <b>blazerfan4life</b>!

They do it is called the NBDL and it is mostly east coast teams and you can find it on NBA.com top left of the website next to the WNBA In fact i put the link to the website here

LINK HERE
I'm fully aware of the NBDL. I meant more in the lines of an affiliate league, much like how MLB has AAA AA and A ball.

As I understand it, if Travis Outlaw were to go into the NBDL, the Blazers would have to release him and lose their "rights" to him.

With an affiliate league, the Blazers could have Outlaw, Carroll, Dickens, Sinovic, Vranes, etc, on their "farm" team. They could share a team with the Sonics (same region) where each team has 6 players.

The NBDL is a joke league. There's no NBA connection.

One of the cooler things about the PCL (or any other AAA league) is that you can sometimes actually see a major league star.

What kind of draw is there for the NBDL? That you might get someone who has a slim shot at being in the NBA again?

If the Affiliate league was made up of draft picks, and players returning from injuries, or actual prospects, I think it'd be a success.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I also think this could be a great idea.

A minor league could give the younger guys more time to develop.

I think that a decent salary for a guy to put in the minor league would be around 250K. Another idea of mine is that a guy signed to the 250K minor league salary can opt out of his salary to sign with another team if that team offers him a guarantted contract and roster spot. The origional team could stop this by letting the player get on their regular roster.

Example: Kaniel Dickens is tearing up the minor league. He gets a offer from the sixers to play on their active roster. He can opt out of his 250K contract to play with them. We can match the offer and let him get on our active roster. This would make the player league happy cuz it treats the players really well

It would be a great feeling to see some young guy work his way outta the minor league and get a spot in the real blazers rotation.

This is the team i would go with as a minor league...

PG-Smush Parker
SG-Kaniel Dickens
SF-Travis Outlaw
PF-Robert Johnson(Graduated from Oregon last year)
C-Slavko Varnes

·
Registered
519 Posts

I'm fully aware of the NBDL. I meant more in the lines of an affiliate league, much like how MLB has AAA AA and A ball.

As I understand it, if Travis Outlaw were to go into the NBDL, the Blazers would have to release him and lose their "rights" to him.

With an affiliate league, the Blazers could have Outlaw, Carroll, Dickens, Sinovic, Vranes, etc, on their "farm" team. They could share a team with the Sonics (same region) where each team has 6 players.

The NBDL is a joke league. There's no NBA connection.
Oh ok...my bad..i didn't understand what you meant....:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts