Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW YORK -- Bill Walton and Tom Tolbert are heading from NBC to ABC and ESPN to call NBA games, while Charles Barkley signed a new deal with TNT.

Walton, a Hall of Famer, will team with play-by-play announcer Brad Nessler for ABC and ESPN, which, along with TNT, are starting a six-year, $4.6 billion TV rights deal with the NBA next season.

Tolbert, who played in the league from 1988-95, will join Mike Tirico as an ABC studio analyst and also will be a game analyst.

Walton and Nessler will be the lead duo for ABC's coverage and for ESPN's Wednesday games.

"With the NBA returning to ABC Sports for the first time in nearly three decades, we have assembled an announce crew that provides credibility and instant name recognition,'' ABC Sports president Howard Katz said Thursday.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
:upset: Bill walton is the 3rd anti-christ. So let it be written. I hope we can all be saved! before it is too late.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
:eek: Personally I don't like Bill also, I hope TNT will re-employee John Thompson and that old white guy with white hair I can't recall his name sorry.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Walton is an acquired taste. :D I listened to him doing plenty of Clippers games and now I enjoy listening to him everytime he is doing a national game. Bill is a riot :yes: Would have liked to see Musburger (sp?) do some games as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bill Walton is an abomination.. he RUINS the game.. i at least wish ABC and ESPN would have kept Snapper Jones so they would have someone that would call walton on all the stupid S he says. And what about all the people that ESPN has in house... they couldnt get Tim Legler to do some games?? Get someone, but no... they go out and hire Bill F-in Walton :no: ............ One bright spot.... David Aldredge is a definate upgrade from Peter Vescey

·
Your Humble Homer
11,083 Posts
azadism said:
"With the NBA returning to ABC Sports for the first time in nearly three decades, we have assembled an announce crew that provides credibility and instant name recognition,'' ABC Sports president Howard Katz said Thursday.

Nothing says credibility like Bill Walton. =)

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I really don't mind Walton all that much , I find it funny when he starts with the history of the game stuff. But Tolbert is evil, he's bad and monotone and always refers back to his scrub NBA career.

Hubie is as schticky as Walton but you gotta love the numbers and stats his uses. He's television gold with his mantra " Come on now" .John Thompson was very good as well.

I hate Mike Breen he hates Kobe. He's eaten at least 3 of Wade's jockstraps. He loves Wade.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Too many people seem to take Walton seriously. The guy's hilarious, especially when he exaggerates ("that was the worst pass in the history of basketball").

I do want Hubie back though, he knows so freaking much about the game and his insight is usually keen and accurate. And he's willing to use stats and basketball terms without talking down on an audience.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
**** Hubie Brown. He's like listening to my senile grandpa yammering on about yarn. Hubie may have known what he was talking about ten years ago, now all he does is spout cliches instead of real analysis.

Bill Walton on the other hand is a genius in the announcing booth. This is evidenced by the number of rubes who think he's entirely serious. Walton as a major network announcer for the NBA is hilarious. Because at his core, he is mocking the establishment of sports broadcasting...constantly.

For a boring game that ends in a blowout there is none better than Bill Walton.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm probably negatively biased, but Tom Tolbert sucks. I was at a Laker game in 03' and asked for his autograph. He signed it but didn't even say yes or no or whatever. I tried to be nice to him, but he was a total dick. As is John Lithgow the actor from 3rd rock from the sun. They both suck.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
When I read the title "ABC bring in Walton, but there is good news..." I thought you were going to say "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance". :laugh:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Walton puts the COM in Commentary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts