Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reading between the lines...Zach and Mile are saying....who are you gonna trade us for? Just when you think we are taking a step forward, we take HUGE steps back. Will things ever change? Im beginning to think Nate wont last the season...meaning he will quit. Miles seems to have that effect on his coaches. Serioulsy though, moves will be made cause i think the Blazers want Nate more then Zach+Miles.

As for Ruben cussing out Nate.....

Ruben will be traded by weeks end IMO.

Very scary to read as Blazer fan.......... Here read it yourself.... http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/o.../sports/113254532823850.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
mixum said:
Reading between the lines...Zach and Mile are saying....who are you gonna trade us for? Just when you think we rae taking a step forward, we take HUGE steps back. Will things ever change? Im beginning to think Nate wont last the season...meaning he will quit. miles seems to have that effect on his coaches. Serioulsy though, moves will be made cause i think the Blazers want Nate mor ethen Zach+Miles.

Very scary to read as Blazer fan. Ruben cussing out Nate.

Here read it yourself.... http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/o.../sports/113254532823850.xml&coll=7&thispage=1
I guess we'll all have to wait and see. Zach is hard to trade due to the BYC. Miles probably is based on length of contract.

Nate isn't going anywhere though, he knew what he was stepping in to and really wouldn't be too smart to quit without even putting in a year, how would that look to prospective employers?.

Ruben I think needs to go, so they can stop showcasing him....errrr, stop trying to rely on him for backup 4 time.

The whole organization has asked for patience, something I'm willing to give, i Mean we are only 1/10th of the way into the season.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
"It's not something you can turn your back to because it's your core, it's your main guys," McMillan said. "They are not open-minded to what we are seeing, because the same thing keeps happening. So we have to look at it, figure out who wants to be here, be a part of this, and work with them. If not, then you have to make moves."
It's pretty clear that Nate is talking about Randolph and Miles. And as good as these guys can be, I'm afraid that both are just too stubborn and too stupid to change their games, which means they will probably be traded. McMillan is "The Man," and there's no way he will be fired.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Talkhard said:
It's pretty clear that Nate is talking about Randolph and Miles. And as good as these guys can be, I'm afraid that both are just too stubborn and too stupid to change their games, which means they will probably be traded. McMillan is "The Man," and there's no way he will be fired.
Actually, I think he might be threatening to bench them, not trade them. And that is something Nate can do, and will certainly get their attention.

barfo

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry if i wasnt clear...Nate will never be fired but who in their right mind would wanna keep talking to stubborn players like Zach & Miles? Its really a joke for Nate and its not even 10 games.

They just dont get it and never will! I could see Nate just having enough of the nonsense and walking out.

Just the same old song!

:boohoo:

·
Registered
568 Posts
mixum said:
Reading between the lines...Zach and Mile are saying....who are you gonna trade us for? Just when you think we are taking a step forward, we take HUGE steps back. Will things ever change? Im beginning to think Nate wont last the season...meaning he will quit. Miles seems to have that effect on his coaches. Serioulsy though, moves will be made cause i think the Blazers want Nate more then Zach+Miles.

As for Ruben cussing out Nate.....

Wow.....

Ok...first of all....where are they saying who are you going to trade us for? Oh, you mean by their actions? Well I'm sorry, I disagree with you. Because Zach was looking at the stat sheet it makes him a selfish player? Really? He knew he couldn't get boards. And the reasons he stated were what I was saying in an earlier post. There were a TON of long rebounds today...as evidenced by the amount of rebounds by the guards in the game....and the Knicks just beat us to them. I also noticed a few times where Zach simply mistimed his jump. Hence him being "outworked" for rebounds by smaller Knick players.

What this seems like to me is another self-serving Quick article where he tries to be a columnist and speculate instead of report on that happens.

Here's my question though. Will the Oregonian cover this Ruben incident the same way it did "Miles-Gate" last year????

Oh yeah....and wasn't Quick saying LESS than ONE WEEK ago that he thought this team would be in the playoffs? This man is the ULTIMATE frontrunner/bandwagonner. Who was it that posted a theory about the paper catering to what the fanbase wants...here's a great example.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
BTW mixum I think you should dmaybe re-read the bit about Zach and Miles basically daring management to try and trade them...It doesn't say or even insuate that at all. What it does say has to do witht he mindset of the modern athlete, which shouldn't be isolated to 2 players on the Blazers. THough the shoe may fit, Quick is simply speculating, in fact if you read the articel closely Quick is speculating most of his article. I am sure much of it is close to home, but there's no grand revelation or shock in it....In other words read the lines instead of between them.

Gee Zach is Stat-Bo and Darius is well....The Darius that's been in the NBA for 5 years now? Shocker.

Nate knew what he was getting into and one thing Nate isn't is a quiter, in fact I'm kinda offended for him that it would be insinuated so.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Not a big deal here.

Everyone wants to be a star when they're in NY.

Nate will get them clicking by the All-Star Game break.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Only one thing disturbing about this artilce in my eyes.

To me Zach and Darius are no surprise, beyond that anyone else mentioned is conjecture by posters here. Ruben...Not disturbing, maybe a blessing.

The disturbing thing? Quick is paid to be a writer.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Not good but i did notice one thing that was so awesome.
Patterson, who played 12 minutes, said he did not want to comment on his outburst between the third and fourth quarters in which he repeatedly used the harshest of swear words toward McMillan. "I'm trying to keep my mouth shut," Patterson said, adding only that he was upset about his playing time. McMillan said: "I will talk to Ruben and we will deal with that. It's a situation where it's different guys, different days. I will figure out what's going on and deal with that situation." Ratliff said he isn't worried about Patterson's mind-set as much as he is the Blazers' youngsters."Ruben is going to do what Ruben is going to do, but he can't be infectious on the younger guys. Ruben has been in the league a long time, and he knows the right thing to do and the wrong thing to do, and he has to suffer the consequences of doing the wrong thing." .
It shows The Ratteler cares about the young team mates.One word about Ruben trade.I take back what i said about Theo it's ruben whos the cancer.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
mixum, you make a big deal out of everything. What I got out of that article was that Nate's pissed at Zach for not defending and rebounding, at Miles for having one of his "sleepwalking" games, and at Bass for trying to put on a show in his hometown. All of that is part of the growing process that we knew this team would go through this year.

I am disapointed in Rube. This is the exact opposite of the veteran leadership he was supposed to provide. I like Rube, but if this becomes a trend then he should be traded soon.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Goldmember said:
mixum, you make a big deal out of everything. What I got out of that article was that Nate's pissed at Zach for not defending and rebounding, at Miles for having one of his "sleepwalking" games, and at Bass for trying to put on a show in his hometown. All of that is part of the growing process that we knew this team would go through this year.
I dont know if Sebastian was necessarily included. Couple doesn't mean 3, it means 2.

Sebastian might have been trying a little too much, but 7 assists and 3 steals aren't exactly "me" stats.

I am disapointed in Rube. This is the exact opposite of the veteran leadership he was supposed to provide. I like Rube, but if this becomes a trend then he should be traded soon.
IF it becomes a trend?

how many more times does Ruben have to slam his foot down his throat before we consider it a trend?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Goldmember said:
mixum, you make a big deal out of everything.
We all make a big deal out of everything. Every tidbit of news is discussed endlessly here. It's what we get paid to do, and by gosh we are damn good at it.

Goldmember said:
Who said he was supposed to provide veteran leadership? And was that person on drugs at the time?
Rube has a lot of fine qualities (I know some will disagree :) ) but leadership aint among them.

barfo

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
barfo said:
Actually, I think he might be threatening to bench them, not trade them. And that is something Nate can do, and will certainly get their attention.

barfo
This sounds like he means trades to me:

"And it's not something you can turn your back to because it's your core, it's your main guys," McMillan said. "They are not open-minded to what we are seeing, because the same thing keeps happening. So we have to look at it, figure out who wants to be here, be a part of this, and work with them. If not, then you have to make moves."
I don't think when he says make moves in that context he's talking about benching.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hap said:
I dont know if Sebastian was necessarily included. Couple doesn't mean 3, it means 2.

Sebastian might have been trying a little too much, but 7 assists and 3 steals aren't exactly "me" stats.
I didn't see the game, but I've seen Bass when he's trying to be "the man." I don't believe it's necessarily a bad thing when he produces like that, but I can see Nate as the kind of coach that would rather his PG be more of a floor general, stick to the game plan, and set up other people than try to "take over," if you catch my drift. I'm just speculating, but from the way Nate reacted to Bassy's game makes me think that might be the case.

how many more times does Ruben have to slam his foot down his throat before we consider it a trend?
I know Rube has had some issues with his role/playing time in the past, but I don't recall him ever blowing up on the coach.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I don't think when he says make moves in that context he's talking about benching.
I agree. Notice the part of his quote where he says, "We have to look at it, figure out who wants to be here, be a part of this . . . "

Doesn't sound like benching is on his mind, though he could try benching Zach and Miles as an intermediate step to see if it gets their attention. If it doesn't, then they are probably gone.

·
Banned
765 Posts
We can't expect these guys to play like a quality veteran team, because they're not. They're young guns. Miles, though he's been in the league, is still only a year older than a lot of rookies.

I don't think the blazers problems have been on offense or defense, it's been little things like turnovers, free throws, and Ruben's boneheaded lob passes.

We've only been soundly defeated in two games this year. Why are people getting up in arms that a young team is playing like a young team?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Goldmember said:
I know Rube has had some issues with his role/playing time in the past, but I don't recall him ever blowing up on the coach.
You are right, last year he waited until media day at training camp and told the media all about it instead.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The most disturbing thing to me in that article is that Quick doesn't know the difference between an editorial and a report. That was an editorial, interspersed with statistics. I thought Canzano was supposed to write the editorials, so I can ignore them?

CelticPagan said pretty much what I've been thinking over the past couple of weeks:

CelticPagan said:
We can't expect these guys to play like a quality veteran team, because they're not. They're young guns.
//
We've only been soundly defeated in two games this year. Why are people getting up in arms that a young team is playing like a young team?
So, Zach was looking at the stat sheet, so that proves...what? Based on his quote, and what I think I know about him, I'd wager no one was more angry at his lack of rebounding than he was. He looked at the stat sheet, which confirmed in black and white that he didn't do his job, and he was angry. Boy, what a selfish *******.

It's weird to me that someone would insinuate that Zach's displeasure with his own performance somehow proves he doesn't care about the team or winning games. Or that the fact that Telfair finished with a career-high 27 points on 8 of 12 shooting, which included three three-pointers, seven assists, six rebounds and three steals proves that he cared more about his personal glory than the team win.

So any player that leads a game in scoring only cares about himself over the team? Any player who is dissatisfied with his performance is selfish? I thought the idea was to get more points, more rebounds, more assists and more steals than the other team? I guess being dissatisfied with the loss (Telfair), and being dissatisfied with one's own rebounding performance (Zach) -- which contributed to the loss -- shows how selfish they really are.

Unfortunately, I didn't see or hear the game, so I can't say much. But it is going to take a lot of patience and understanding to get through the next couple of seasons. All of our players are going to have to develop in more ways than one before the Blazers can be successful (Well, except Theo, he's all grown up; and hopefully Ruben will be traded). Some personnel changes will be made too, to get the right mix of guys.

Note to Oregonian "reporters": we have a long way to go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts