Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im happy caron didnt get a spot, cause maybe now itll motivate him to get back to the level he was at before.

as for odom, he definately deserves to be in that game!! at least more than redd or ilgauskas (he's gonna be the reserve center).

any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Well, if Odom played center, he most certainly would get in over Z -- and if Odom's team were in 4th place in the east, he'd probably get in over Redd. However, he plays forward for a non-playoff team. He's got his work cut out for him (though that's not to say he's not deserving).

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
The last foward spot is going to come down to him or martin. He is deserving and should get it.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Joker</b>!
as for odom, he definately deserves to be in that game!! at least more than redd or ilgauskas (he's gonna be the reserve center).
Redd deserves to be on the team more than Odom IMO.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>wadecaroneddie</b>!
The last foward spot is going to come down to him or martin. He is deserving and should get it.
The way I see it, it'll come down to Odom, Martin and Abdur-Rahim. Of the 3, Odom has by far the worst FG%, Least Points Per Game, and his team isn't in the Playoffs, whereas Martin's is the #2 Seed in the Conference. Martin also gets more steals and blocks, and the FG% difference is huge, 49.8%-41.6%. Odom turns the ball over more, and they both average 9.7 Rebounds per game. Odom's only advantage over Martin is in Assists, 4.1-2.4 per game. Martin averages 17.6 ppg compared to Odom's 16.9. Overall, I don't think there's anyway you put Odom over Martin, but I think they both deserve it more than Abdur-Rahim. Please, make an arguement for Odom over Martin.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Re: Re: about caron and odom in the all star week

Originally posted by <b>Ben</b>!

Redd deserves to be on the team more than Odom IMO.
Yeah, definitely. Redd is 8th in the league in points per game, and has his team overachieving and exceeding everyone's expectations into one of the best records in the East. Redd definitely should go before Odom, but it's really pointless to argue because Redd is a SG and Odom is a PF.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rukahS capuT</b>!

The way I see it, it'll come down to Odom, Martin and Abdur-Rahim. Of the 3, Odom has by far the worst FG%, Least Points Per Game, and his team isn't in the Playoffs, whereas Martin's is the #2 Seed in the Conference. Martin also gets more steals and blocks, and the FG% difference is huge, 49.8%-41.6%. Odom turns the ball over more, and they both average 9.7 Rebounds per game. Odom's only advantage over Martin is in Assists, 4.1-2.4 per game. Martin averages 17.6 ppg compared to Odom's 16.9. Overall, I don't think there's anyway you put Odom over Martin, but I think they both deserve it more than Abdur-Rahim. Please, make an arguement for Odom over Martin.
as van gundy said, there are only 3 players in the nba who rank in the top 40 of all 3 major statistical categories, assits rebounds and points. KG, Odom, and Pierce. Like i said in another thread, if odom and Marftin shot about the same number of 3 pointers, (Odom shoots way to many) their fg percentage would be about the same. Martins team is not that many games better than us, and him running the fast break with Kidd helps him out a lot. Also, the heat are close to having the same number of wins from all of last year and we are competing for a playoff spot, which is exceeding expectations. With SAR, still about the same stats, but odom and martins teams win a lot more, so i dont see him getting it

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts

as van gundy said, there are only 3 players in the nba who rank in the top 40 of all 3 statistical categories, assits rebounds and points. KG, Odom, and Pierce. Like i said in another thread, if odom and Marftin shot about the same number of 3 pointers, (Odom shoots way to many) their fg percentage would be about the same. Martins team is a whole 3 games better than us, and him running the fast break with Kidd helps him out a lot. Also, the heat are close to having the same number of wins from all of last year and we are competing for a playoff spot, which is exceeding expectations. With SAR, still about the same stats, but odom and martins teams win a lot more, so i dont see him getting it
Who's fault is it that Odom takes too many 3's? He shoots over 3 of them per game, and shoots under 30% percent from behind the arc. Who's fault is it that Odom is chucking up so many 3's that he shouldn't be taking, Martin's?

And no, that is incorrect that they would shoot about the same if Odom didn't jack up so many 3's. Odom shoots 44.9% 2-Pointers, whereas Martin shoots about 50.4%.

Martin's team is the #2 seed in the East, Odom's team isn't in the playoffs. That's the fact.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts

Martin's team is the #2 seed in the East, Odom's team isn't in the playoffs. That's the fact.
yea they are second seed, but all of 5 games seperate us. We are a half game out of 7th place ourselves and close to equalling our total wins from last year, with odom being the main reason of that. Also, Nets are not second best in the east, they are 2nd seed, and there is a huge difference

Edit...whoever has insider can u find an atricle and post a snippet of it. It is where 5 respected gm's said who they feel should be in the game, and according to them odom was in over martin. Its not as inconceivable as some may think. Being in a category that only pierce and KG are otherwise in has to count for something. That is all star company right there

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts

The reason why Odom's FG% is lower than Martin is that LO shoots way more 3s. About three more a game than Martin does. That would bring his overall FG% down compared to Martin and his close range shots.

He's also the best player on the Miami Heat who are only 5 1/2 games behind New Jersey. Odom can create his own shot and is more versatile than Martin. Without Jason Kidd, Martin wouldn't be scoring as much as he is. Jason Kidd is the leader of the Nets and he should be the one that is most responsible for their wins. If you took away Miami's bad start, they would have a record as good as the Nets. The Heat are a better team than the nets anyways because they just beat New Jersey by 21 points!

Lets compare Odoms stats to Martins in that head to head game:

Odom 12 points 18 rebounds 6 assists 1 steal 1 block
Martin 16 points 8 rebounds 0 assists 3 steals 0 blocks

Martin is a little better at defense and the only reason he scored more was because of JKidd. Odom is better at rebounding and passing by far.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts

yea they are second seed, but all of 5 games seperate us. We are a half game out of 7th place ourselves and close to equalling our total wins from last year, with odom being the main reason of that. Also, Nets are not second best in the east, they are 2nd seed, and there is a huge difference

Edit...whoever has insider can u find an atricle and post a snippet of it. It is where 5 respected gm's said who they feel should be in the game, and according to them odom was in over martin. Its not as inconceivable as some may think. Being in a category that only pierce and KG are otherwise in has to count for something. That is all star company right there

I never said the Nets were the Second best in the East, I said #2 Seed, which they are. I realize the Heat are close to the playoffs, but they're not in it as of now.

Sure Odom's in Elite company, but answer me this: Other than Martin, who gets 17+ Points, 9+ Rebounds, 1.5+ Steals, 1+ Blocks and Shoots over 49%? I'll help you out, NOBODY. Martin is a complete player, offensively and defensively. He's lightyear's ahead of Odom on the defensive end which we haven't even addressed yet.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b><< SkipToMyLou >></b>!
The reason why Odom's FG% is lower than Martin is that LO shoots way more 3s. About three more a game than Martin does. That would bring his overall FG% down compared to Martin and his close range shots.

No, that's not the reason.

Let me quote myself here:

Who's fault is it that Odom takes too many 3's? He shoots over 3 of them per game, and shoots under 30% percent from behind the arc. Who's fault is it that Odom is chucking up so many 3's that he shouldn't be taking, Martin's?

And no, that is incorrect that they would shoot about the same if Odom didn't jack up so many 3's. Odom shoots 44.9% 2-Pointers, whereas Martin shoots about 50.4%.
That's not why he shoots a worse percentage. The difference in their FG%'s is HUGE, and a very important stat that Martin has a HUGE advantage over Odom in.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
The only reason K-Mart's FG% is higher then Odom's is cuz all K-Mart does is dunk!!!Hes incapable of doin anything else!!!Sure Kenyon is a really good defender(hes far from lightyear's ahead of Odom!!!),but hes nowhere near a complete player!!!:laugh:He CANT shoot,pass,handle or most importantly lead!!!He pointed the finger at KVH,turned RJ into a di*k and choked in the finals,yet this dude thinks hes gonna get $80+mill???Can u say rude f'n awakening,cuz I know I can???:laugh:

K-Mart is an athletic cancer that benefits from playin alongside the BEST PG in the league!!!In 3 years when his athleticism isnt what it is today(and he hasnt improved his game cuz his ceiling just isnt that high)he will be a JOKE,yet Odom who actually has an ALL-AROUND game will still be an All-Star!!!

K-Mart better then "The Goods"?!?!

NOT!!!:devil:

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Gripni</b>!
Kenyon Martin definitely, ahead of Odom and Reef.
defintly no...it is very close. They have very similair stats. It could go wither way

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HEATLUNATIC</b>!
The only reason K-Mart's FG% is higher then Odom's is cuz all K-Mart does is dunk!!!
That's just not right. K-Mart has developed an offensive game and an arsenal of post moves far superior to that of Odom, but Odom has a much better perimeter game, although K-Mart's jumper is vastly improved.

Sure Kenyon is a really good defender(hes far from lightyear's ahead of Odom!!!),but hes nowhere near a complete player!!!:laugh:He CANT shoot,pass,handle or most importantly lead!!!He pointed the finger at KVH,turned RJ into a di*k and choked in the finals,yet this dude thinks hes gonna get $80+mill???Can u say rude f'n awakening,cuz I know I can???:laugh:
He's a very good defender, one of the best in the league(quite possibly Top 10 at any position). He is far ahead of Odom, especially defending in the post. He CAN shoot, he CAN pass, and has good handles for a guy his size. He plays with heart and passion, how can you not say he's a leader? Look at his performence in the finals 2 years ago against the Lakers. In Game 4, he was the only reason the Nets were in the game, and he showed me a lot that game by the way he kept fighting despite being down 3-0 in the series. He played a hell of a game that night in the biggest game of his life to that point.

K-Mart is an athletic cancer that benefits from playin alongside the BEST PG in the league!!!In 3 years when his athleticism isnt what it is today(and he hasnt improved his game cuz his ceiling just isnt that high)he will be a JOKE,yet Odom who actually has an ALL-AROUND game will still be an All-Star!!!

K-Mart better then "The Goods"?!?!

NOT!!!:devil:
Sure he benefits from playing with Kidd, but K-Mart is a good player in himself too. His athleticism is only one aspect of his game, an important one, but not his only asset. Martin will be a joke in 3 years?:laugh:

K-Mart is better than Odom, plain and simple. The stats back it up. Make all the excuses you want for Odom, and discredit Martin all you can, the numbers still speak for themselves, and show that Martin is clearly a superior player this season to Lamar Odom. The numbers don't even show how far ahead Martin is to Odom defensively.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
If the vote is going to be that close most of the coaches will vote for Lamar Odom because the Heat have no other player to represent them. The coaches will pick Jason Kidd at guard from the Nets to represent them. I think the Heat are just as good as the Nets if not better. Theres no reason why New Jersey or some team like Cleveland should have 2 players and Miami have 0 in the All-Star game. Especially when they have a star like Lamar Odom on their team.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I just don't see how you put a Power Forward shooting 41.6% from the floor on the All-Star team. :sigh:

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
I just don't see how you put a Power Forward shooting 41.6% from the floor on the All-Star team. :sigh:
small foward for the first 15 or so games of the season. His percentage has gone up since moving over when caron started starting again. Since than also, his rebounding has been well over 10, which is more than martin. If he played power foward the entire year he's be at 10.5-11 a game.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts