Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone here or where ever has said Vince is working hard right now and try to kill a lot of critics next season. But my question is we all know that Vince has all the tools on the offensive end to be one of the best guard in the NBA if not the best, but can he actually play GREAT defense? Sure, he has proven that he can played solid defense here and there. But can he actually shut down good offensive players like the way Pippen, Jordan did? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Originally posted by Vinsanity
Probably
nice reply buddy, u seriously jus tryin to get the post count up high huh?

going to penny's question. From what I have heard he has been working on all aspects of his game. Offense to Defense. He said he can't wait til the season starts so he can show what he is made of. I think he is very capable of playing very legit defense. I mean as you said you can see flashes of him trying to stop someone on D but it isn't consistent and I completely agree. Again, look back to his college days. He was an amazing defender. He go too involved in the offense in Toronto that he forgot what he was doing on defense often looking confused. But he can certainly play, I hope to see him play defense too...

·
Registered
338 Posts
ME PERSONALLY I THINK CARTER WILL COME BAK STRONGER THEN EVER IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME. I THINK HE WILL GET BACK TO BEING CONSIDERED ONE OF LEET GUARDS IN THE NBA. I THINK HE WILL JOIN THE TOP GUARDS OF THE LEAGUE LIKE KOBE TMAC.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Well obviously he has the athletic ability to play defense. Now, does he have the desire,fundamentals and technique of defense down??? That is the question. We shall see. If I had to put my money down I would say Vince will be back next year with a vengeance and playing pretty darn good D as well. This is bad news for the Knicks and the rest of the Eastern conference but this is how i see it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am convinced that Carter will come back better then ever, I've seen him in the interview and he seems really focused and mature about his problems from last season. He's accepted the critisism and has a very humble attitude.

He's one of my favorite players in the NBA, when he doesn't slack off on defense how can you not love the guy? simply awesome player. Nothing but love! :cool:

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by Fordy74
Well obviously he has the athletic ability to play defense. Now, does he have the desire,fundamentals and technique of defense down??? That is the question. We shall see. If I had to put my money down I would say Vince will be back next year with a vengeance and playing pretty darn good D as well. This is bad news for the Knicks and the rest of the Eastern conference but this is how i see it.
I agree! I think Vince is coming back with a vengeance and something to prove! Watch out for the rest of the league is what I'm thinking. Awesome gifts and incredibly unique player, IMNSVHO. He can shoot the 3, which only Paul Pierce (amongst the premier swingmen) can do with great consistency. Kobe & Tmac sure don't measure up on the 3 ball like Vince & Pierce do.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by TheRifleman
Kobe & Tmac sure don't measure up on the 3 ball like Vince & Pierce do.
1. Paul Pierce- .404%
2. Vince Carter- .387%
3. Tracy McGrady- .364%
4. Kobe Bryant- .250%

Looks like Kobe is the only one that doesn't measure up.......

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by KC

1. Paul Pierce- .404%
2. Vince Carter- .387%
3. Tracy McGrady- .364%
4. Kobe Bryant- .250%

Those must be last year's stats! You are right, Kobe just doesn't hit the 3 as well as other swingmen according to those stats.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Although I know I am biased....I still think Vince is going to DESTROY all of his critics. In the first two weeks he may play like crap, but once he gets used to playing in the NBA again....the NBA will never be the same again.

I think TO will make it to the eastern finals this year...then next year after a big trade or a big signing with our cap situation being a little better we make it to the finals.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Knowing Vince and watching so many things about him on T.V., he will come back next year better than ever. He will agian become the most talked about player and the NBA and the most exciting to watch. I know he is going to come back better than ever in all aspects of the game, just by looking at him. My only question is, is the leg injury going to affect his jumping ability? The thing Vince Carter is most known for is his ability to jump and completely throw down a dunk. Will he be able to do that as well this year?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Originally posted by sime

nice reply buddy, u seriously jus tryin to get the post count up high huh?
what u want me to write a hundred word essay....is there a rule??..why dont u just keep ur No Profanity to yourself and stop talkin smack

Please don't do that anymore. - Penny Hardaway

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Originally posted by KC

1. Paul Pierce- .404%
2. Vince Carter- .387%
3. Tracy McGrady- .364%
4. Kobe Bryant- .250%

playoffs:

1. bryant - .378
2. mcgrady - .313
3. pierce - .288

of course, jordan shooting below 30% 8 times in his career didn't slow him down too much.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by kflo

playoffs:

1. bryant - .378
2. mcgrady - .313
3. pierce - .288

of course, jordan shooting below 30% 8 times in his career didn't slow him down too much.
And? This was never about the playoffs or Michael Jordan...... Kobe didn't shoot well from 3 during the season. That's the basis of this discussion.

If you want to talk about 3point% in the playoffs, at least mention the McGrady only shot 16 of them.... That is hardly even enough attempts to gauge his true abilities....

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
One thing I do know about Vince is that he proved he can shoot the 3 anytime - regular season or playoffs (2001)! He holds the playoff record for 8 3s in the first half and tied Rex Chapman for most 3s in a playoff game with 9.

Vince did that against stellar defense, when he was healthy. I expect we'll all get to see his sweet shooting touch again!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Anyone with Carter's mental and physical capacity has the potential to be a great defender. There are three major aspects of great defense.

Side to side movement -- Carter has it
Wingspan and speed to block shots and get in front of guys -- Carter has it
Great Vision and intelegence to read quick changes of direction by the ball handler in order to keep in step -- Carter has it

I don't think VC was necessaraly not physically capable of good defence last year, i think he was just way too relaxed on the defensive end to the point where he was often giving up more points than he scored.

The way Carter is working right now, he could realy make a huge improvement in his play and give his team the magic again.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Originally posted by KC

And? This was never about the playoffs or Michael Jordan...... Kobe didn't shoot well from 3 during the season. That's the basis of this discussion.

If you want to talk about 3point% in the playoffs, at least mention the McGrady only shot 16 of them.... That is hardly even enough attempts to gauge his true abilities....
who said it's the basis of discussion? you're the only one who mentioned their %'s this past season.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys, I don't mind the topic changed into something else if it is a good discussion without getting personal. I am not saying you guys are but just letting you all know in advance. Thank You! - Penny Hardaway

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, Kflo, do you have an opinion about Vince Carter's D. I like to hear from you about this. Thanks.:)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts