Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Banned
15,209 Posts
Is there a reason you are yelling?

I don't know about letting it go, I haven't read even 1/3 of this thread, but its what, 9 pages long? That's a pittance on a message board when 1 coach (actually 2 when you include Chris Mack) took a swipe at 13 fan bases that collectively were having one of their better seasons in conference history. If you think isn't letting it go, you should see some of the threads on Ohio State boards about the SEC or UK boards about Duke. Those things have festered for years, this will pretty much die down when the tournament dies down. May have died down by now if Coach K hadn't added fuel to the fire and acted all butt hurt.
FAIR ENOUGH BRO MAUER. AND I'M YELLING BECAUSE IT'S CAPS LOCK FRIDAY

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Coach K has 4 national titles and is one of the greatest coaches in college history. I doubt he really cares that a bunch of A-10 homers think he's an idiot.

Based on his comments to the Durham newspaper, you are wrong. He appears very thin skinned and hurt by what others think. I guess he can dish out criticism but just can't take it.
This. What's even funnier is he gets this S**T all the time from those other haters and ignores it. With us, now he's whining about being called out for being stupid?

What did he want? Should the other ACC Coaches rallied around him? Ignored the fact, he was spewing fallacies? Should Gottfried, after NC State blew it, made a point to mention Coach K still being right, despite the outcome? Should Boeheim done the same? Yeah, it was a rough backlash, but not just from A10 "fanboys" because not a single basketball guy in the media or his own conference agreed with him. He made a ludicrous statement that was proven as such and now he's the one butt-hurt.

As pointed out, had he not referred to this himself by whining about it, this thread would have been buried and probably by next year forgotten.

And, btw, I don't think any A10 fan expected K to give two craps about our reaction, but he surprised us by showing how truly narcissistic he really is when he cried about the backlash he created in the first place. Even more revealing is him still not understanding or getting why the "unquestioned one" was wrong in the first place.

That's a huge ego, because every single criticism of him in the media spelled it out for him and was specific for the two reasons he was wrong 1. Calling out another league (beneath him) 2. Picking the wrong league in the wrong year (stupid). They were all unanimous in saying he should defend his league (par for the course) and campaign for bids. K's even dumber reaction is all I did was defend my league and I was vilified for it. No dumbass that's not all you did and that's not why you got "hate."

·
Registered
360 Posts
just to recap

Coach K trashed the A10 and said they didn't deserve 6 bids.
His team got a 3-seed and lost to a 14 seed.
Every other ACC team won at least 1 game in the NCAA tournament.
He whined that nobody backed him up.
The A10 is currently 2-0 vs the ACC in the NCAA tournament.
The 6th team from the A10 has advanced to the Elite 8.

Most well adjusted human beings - even the egomaniacs who find themselves coaching high level D1 hoops - will back off their bullshit assertions when they're proven to be unfounded, neutralize the situation with some self deprecating humor, or just let it go completely.

Coach K on the other hand, just doubles down with another round of assclownery.

·
Registered
727 Posts
just to recap

Coach K trashed the A10 and said they didn't deserve 6 bids.
His team got a 3-seed and lost to a 14 seed.
Every other ACC team won at least 1 game in the NCAA tournament.
He whined that nobody backed him up.
The A10 is currently 2-0 vs the ACC in the NCAA tournament.
The 6th team from the A10 has advanced to the Elite 8.

Most well adjusted human beings - even the egomaniacs who find themselves coaching high level D1 hoops - will back off their bullshit assertions when they're proven to be unfounded, neutralize the situation with some self deprecating humor, or just let it go completely.

Coach K on the other hand, just doubles down with another round of assclownery.
And we have a winner!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I am still annoyed with Coach K, but truthfully this is good for the A10. They are getting discussed with the ACC now with Coach K's comments and with our little agreement with the ACC at the Barclays center. The comments haven't all been good for the A10, but hey it is getting us publicity
Absolutely! We got all kinds of play out of it. If he just lobbied for NC State it's a story in the Carolina newspapers...

... by bringing the A-10 into it, it went national.

Without Coach K's comments, the A-10 had a failed 2014 NCAA Tournament.

With Coack K's comments, people are talking about how good the A-10 was.
SLU beating NC State isn't a story unless Coach K runs his mouth.
Dayton over Syracuse would still be a story, but the added "A10 now 2-0 vs ACC #MeatGrinder" tweets wouldn't have happened.

Dayton needs to win the championship to match last year's NCAA performance:
We were 7-5 last season in the dance, and we're 4-5 this season.

I CAN AGREE WITH THIS. I JUST THINK THE CONSTANT BASHING THAT'S GOING ON FROM YOU GUYS AND THE FACT THAT YOU WON'T LET IT GO IS MORE CHILDISH THAN THE COMMENTS HE MADE TO BEGIN WITH.
Yes, but we're the internet, he's a national public figure with multiple PR reps.

I can call Coach K a twatwaffle now and there's no repercussions. If he calls me one in a post-game press conference, he's in deep shit.

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts
With Virginia bowing out to Michigan State, that leaves 1 Atlantic 10 team and zero All Cupcakes Conference teams left. They must be really glad that FSU football kicked ass this year.

A-10 smoked the ACC this year. Dayton over Syracuse, Saint Louis over NC State, and the Flyers the last team standing. That would be pretty much a total victory, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Elite-8 Conference Breakdown

Big Ten 3
Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin

SEC 2
Fkorida, Kentucky

A-10 1
Dayton

AAC 1
UConn

Pac-12 1
Arizona
Fkorida - you must be a hater too!!!! :drums:

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
(it's because the big 12 wasn't the best conference)
It was.

You can say that all you want. but the conference RPI doesn't lie. The Big 12 was the #1 conference. Maybe not the strongest at the top, but top to bottom easily the strongest league out there. Now that conference was a serious gauntlet.

The NCAA tournament is all about match-ups. Using it as a measuring stick for conference strength is a foolish endeavor. The SEC has 2 teams in the Elite 8, and had 3 in the Sweet 16. Would you say the SEC is the 2nd best conference in America???

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It was.

You can say that all you want. but the conference RPI doesn't lie. The Big 12 was the #1 conference. Maybe not the strongest at the top, but top to bottom easily the strongest league out there. Now that conference was a serious gauntlet.
Counting the postseason games, the B1G moved ahead of the B12 in terms of conference RPI. Most sites don't update after the regular season ends, but the ones that do have all have the B1G on top. So, if the conference RPI numbers aren't lying, then the B1G is the best conference if you count postseason games as well...actual games.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The good overall thing with this thread is that at least we'll have a venue to settle a little of this debate still between the two Atlantic conferences...

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts
It was.

The NCAA tournament is all about match-ups. Using it as a measuring stick for conference strength is a foolish endeavor. The SEC has 2 teams in the Elite 8, and had 3 in the Sweet 16. Would you say the SEC is the 2nd best conference in America???
Top to bottom, you may have a point. But this time of year, the bottom of leagues is irrelevant. They're not playing.

It's about top-end talent. Big 12 is really good, but the loss of Embiid sank their one shot at a real deep run.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
Top to bottom, you may have a point. But this time of year, the bottom of leagues is irrelevant. They're not playing.

It's about top-end talent. Big 12 is really good, but the loss of Embiid sank their one shot at a real deep run.
Agreed.

The loss of Niang hurt the other shot as well.

Bad luck for the B12 in what was a fantastic year.

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts
Agreed.

The loss of Niang hurt the other shot as well.

Bad luck for the B12 in what was a fantastic year.
Iowa State was a very interesting team. I wanted DeAndre Kane more than any transfer in the history of transfers. I think they were a shade over-rated, but they were exciting.

The middle teams in the Big 12 were talented. Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas were plenty talented...I have a big problem with coaching at 2 of the 3 schools, and there's a lot of speculation that Scott Drew is going to be the next Dave Bliss at Baylor. The talent in the Big 12 is certainly there...but I think the teams ran into some bad luck. Dayton would have blown the Kansas team I saw in St. Louis off the court.

With Embiid, that's probably not the case.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts