Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,743 Posts
I really hope neither one of them declare, they'd both be better served by returning to school at least one more year. Though next year's draft is set to be deeper, they might be looking at this as more of a calculated business risk than them actually getting better with more time in college.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
McRoberts is flashy and has nice potential, but he has absolutely no low post game whatsoever. He can't finish in traffic at all, and he always gets knocked off-balance. He needs to get stronger (and tougher).

·
Premium Member
69,620 Posts
Those two could go really high if they declare this year, considering the competition they will be going up against next year it doesnt sound like too bad of a plan. Unfortunately for them they will be stuck on someone's bench for a few years.

Guillermo Diaz and Al Thornton might be heading for the NBA too.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,986 Posts
It actually makes more sense for Hansbrough than people have thought.He's a 20 year old freshman who probably will not improve very much next year and certainly won't be the one and only option like he was most of this year.The draft is relatively weak and he figures to go in the middle to late first round.It is quite possible that he'd be a second round pick next season.When you say that he should stay you assume that he has a lot of undeveloped potential.I really don't believe he does.It would certainly be better for UNC if he stayed.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The Truth said:
McRoberts is flashy and has nice potential, but he has absolutely no low post game whatsoever. He can't finish in traffic at all, and he always gets knocked off-balance. He needs to get stronger (and tougher).
McRoberts is a terrific passer and very good ball-handler for his size. He also has great hops which allows him to get some nice dunks (when he has a clear path). But as you said, his post game is non-existent and his upper body strength is weak, making it tough for him to finish in traffic.

I think he can develop into a star on the college level as a versatile big man. I don't, however, see his game being good enough to be a star in the pros. Scouts like McRoberts, but I think his flaws will be more obvious next year if he returns as Duke's premier option.

As for Hansbrough, his game is much more advanced, but his room for improvement may be limited. Still, NBA scouts aren't that high on him and if he went this year, he would be a mid-late 1st round pick at best.

Largely based on the knowledge of the talent that will be coming out next year and the fact that no HSers will be coming out this year, I would be shocked if McRoberts came back. As for Hansbrough, I'd say it's 50/50.

·
Premium Member
69,620 Posts
Diable said:
It actually makes more sense for Hansbrough than people have thought.He's a 20 year old freshman who probably will not improve very much next year and certainly won't be the one and only option like he was most of this year.The draft is relatively weak and he figures to go in the middle to late first round.It is quite possible that he'd be a second round pick next season.When you say that he should stay you assume that he has a lot of undeveloped potential.I really don't believe he does.It would certainly be better for UNC if he stayed.
Very good post

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think that McRoberts is in a Marvin Williams type situation. He was a contributor with a high stock that hasn't had to carry a team yet. If he doesn't declare this year he will likely have to wait at least two more as he develops into a leading player.

As for Hansbrough I hope he stays and I think that it is a good possibility. His draft stock isn't as volitale as McRoberts and will probably stay about the same until he decides to enter. Also a good run by UNC next year could significantly boost his stock much like last year did for Sean May.

·
Registered
45,950 Posts
Miami's Guillermo Diaz to enter NBA Draft

UM's Diaz to enter draft
BY BARRY JACKSON
[email protected]
University of Miami junior guard Guillermo Diaz has decided to forgo his senior season and make himself eligible for the June 28 NBA Draft, sources said Tuesday. An announcement is expected as early as today.

Diaz also has decided to sign with an agent, which means that he would not have the ability to change his mind and withdraw his name from the draft at a later date. Diaz is expected to sign with Miami-based agent Jason Levien, whose clients include Heat forward Udonis Haslem. Levien declined comment, and Diaz was unavailable.

Early projections have Diaz being drafted anywhere from the second half of the first round to early in the second round. By signing with an agent, Diaz would be permitted to have teams cover his expenses when he travels to individual workouts.

Diaz, 6-2, intrigues NBA teams because of his athleticism and explosive offensive game. Some teams consider him a potential combo guard who could play either position. Because he was primarily a shooting guard at UM, his point guard skills will be scrutinized.

Diaz averaged a team-high 17.3 points last season. Named second-team All-ACC, Diaz shot 41.5 percent from the field and 36.4 percent on three-pointers and closed the season with 97 assists, 67 turnovers, 39 steals and seven blocks.

Art Alvarez, Diaz's mentor and high school coach at Miami Christian, said Diaz has made a decision, but he declined to say what it was. ''We feel real good about [it],'' Alvarez said. ``We are going to want to announce it in the next 24 hour to 48 hours.''
This was expected down here in Miami. He did not play with the same explosiveness he had before his off-season knee surgery. He would have been better off leaving after his sophomore season.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Miami's Guillermo Diaz to enter NBA Draft

ya, i think this was a given. you're right, wade. kid probablu should have left last year. i still think he'll get drafted.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,986 Posts

Diaz really disappointed this season...His team was horrible OOC and he didn't look near so dynamic as he did in 04/05.I would guess that the pros are going to be wary of his knees,but if he could regain his explosiveness he might be a surprise in the NBA.Of course if VOn Wafer can get drafted in the first round then Diaz is probably a lottery pick.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts

Wafer was a 2nd round pick.

·
Premium Member
69,620 Posts

Considering next year's draft will be loaded it might not be such a bad move after all. Signing an agent is really not that smart though, anyone remember Azubuike. But all in all I think he will get drafted somewhere between 20-30

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FSU's Johnson to declare for NBA Draft

FSU announced Saturday that Johnson will declare for the draft but not sign with an agent, leaving open the chance he will return for his senior season.
Junior power forward Al Thornton is also a question mark for the Seminoles.... He has not yet announced his plans.
Charles Roberts, Johnson's godfather, told the Tallahassee Democrat that Johnson would probably have to be considered a top-15 pick to remain in the draft.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.