Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, so much to think about...an NCAA Tournament that would involve every single Division I team in the country? I am trying to wrap my head around how on earth that would work, how it would be organized, where games are played, etc. Anyway, the ACC, led by Coach K, is proposing this to the powers that be in Indianapolis.

NCAA Tournament for all

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So...the NCAA said no to the all-inclusive idea. I would too. I mean, that's just crazy talk. However, here is another article that mentions 3 different ideas re: the 2021 NCAA Tournament (assuming we have one):

3 different takes on the 2021 NCAA Tournament

They actually brought up a very good point that I had not even thought about. There are several leagues that have said they are ready to move forward with a conference-only schedule (pretty sure that is what fueled the crazy idea of a 350 team tournament - protecting the weaker teams in the ACC that would have a losing conference record). It was mentioned that they wondered how many conferences could even afford to play if that was the case, especially given the cost of covid-19 testing that would have to be done. You figure schools and conferences already lost a big chunk of NCAA money from no 2020 tournament and the schools in this league that have football have lost all guarantee games. If now everyone no longer gets any guarantee money from hoops AND will have to play in front of very minimal/zero fans thus losing that income all while still paying for all these scholarships, you do have to wonder how many will be able to afford to play. After the Power 5, the Big East, the A-10 and maybe the Missouri Valley/Mountain West, how many conferences would be able to afford the cost of playing games?

I mean, let's face it, is it really feasible or fiscally responsible (of course, more so than normal) for Maine to make a bus trip/flight to UMBC for a game to be played in front of no fans with no possibility of making the NCAA's? Or for UNH to Binghamton? Or UMBC to Stony Brook?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Man, so much to think about...an NCAA Tournament that would involve every single Division I team in the country? I am trying to wrap my head around how on earth that would work, how it would be organized, where games are played, etc. Anyway, the ACC, led by Coach K, is proposing this to the powers that be in Indianapolis.

NCAA Tournament for all
Stupid idea. This is about the Power 5 conferences getting all their teams in the tourney. They couldn’t care less about the low/mid majors. Logistics would be crazy, and for what?

·
Premium Member
33,160 Posts
Last March there was no NCAA Tournament, but now there would be an NCAA Tournament for 350 teams? Lol, ok. People should be more focused on how there's going to be any college basketball this season.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Last March there was no NCAA Tournament, but now there would be an NCAA Tournament for 350 teams? Lol, ok. People should be more focused on how there's going to be any college basketball this season.
I absolutely agree that everyone's focus should be on doing the right thing to contain the spread and keep people healthy; however, if by some chance things are safe enough to come together in March, doesn't every player/coach/staff/admin person want to keep the season going as long as possible? I may be in the minority, but I will watch UVM Men's BBall play anytime, anywhere, against any team that shows up. As much as we all think decisions affecting the team are about what the fans want, they usually are not...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts