Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8908775/nfl-awards-2012-13-adrian-peterson-beats-peyton-manning-win-mvp

Adrian Peterson (30.5)
Others receiving votes: Peyton Manning (19.5)

Adrian Peterson also won the OPOY (36)
Others receiving votes: Peyton Manning (8), Tom Brady (2), Calvin Johnson (2), Aaron Rodgers (2)

JJ Watt won DPOY (49)
Others receiving votes: Von Miller (1)

Peyton Manning won Comeback POY (31.5)
Others receiving votes: Adrian Peterson (16.5), Jamaal Charles (1)

RG3 won OROY (29)
Others receiving votes: Andrew Luck (11), Russell Wilson (10)

Luke Kuechly won DROY (28)
Others receiving votes: Bobby Wagner (11), Casey Hayward (6), Janoris Jenkins (3), Lavonte David (2)

Bruce Arians won Coach of the Year (36.5)
Others receiving votes: Chuck Pagano (5.5), Pete Carroll (5), Leslie Frazier (3)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I agree. I thought the vote would have been closer since it really seemed like the media was pushing for Peyton to get it.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Funny how the media split the vote b/w Peyton and Adrian by giving Adrian the MVP and Peyton Comeback POY. Seems like Adrian would take both but it's not worth complaining about.

RGIII won ROY, deservedly, only beef is that Wilson deserved more votes than Luck but meh.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
I usually dont like running backs winning mvp, but that Vikings team was straight garbage outside of AP, that team making the playoffs was a Peterson made miracle and he deserved to win mvp

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
What if he rushes for 1700 yards next year and the Vikings go 6-10? Like it or not, being great at running the football just is nowhere near as important as passing efficiency.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
What if he rushes for 1700 yards next year and the Vikings go 6-10? Like it or not, being great at running the football just is nowhere near as important as passing efficiency.
If he does that next year it doesn't change what he did this year, which was put a team on his back and take them to the playoffs in one of the toughest divisions in football. Drew Brees threw 43 TDs and went 7-9, if he'd won an MVP previously I don't think they'd make him give it back.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
I feel like Von miller should have won DPOY but everything else seems correct

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
If he does that next year it doesn't change what he did this year, which was put a team on his back and take them to the playoffs in one of the toughest divisions in football. Drew Brees threw 43 TDs and went 7-9, if he'd won an MVP previously I don't think they'd make him give it back.
Pretty difficult to have a winning record when you are giving up over 28 points per game. Peterson didn't do it all by himself, that's a myth. Someone putting the entire team on his back is such an overused term, especially in football. What Peterson did individually is great, I have never argued that point and I doubt anyone will. Of course the Vikings are a better team with Peterson than without him, that argument is redundant because the same can be said about every other team and their best players. But at the end of the day it comes down to passing efficiency on both sides of the ball. There have been plenty of Hall of Fame type running backs on bad teams throughout the history of the NFL. A lot of great individual rushing seasons were wasted because the team wasn't good enough. The impact of great backs just isn't as significant.

The best example of that are still the Packers under Lombardi even though that was a long time ago. People always think they were great because they were able to run the ball and stop the run. A lot of that was window-dressing: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/09/07/saints.packers/index.html

Running backs are complimentary pieces who can help put your offense in better spots and thus help you win games, ultimately the outcome of games is usually decided by the efficiency in the passing game. It just isn't that important whether you average 3.9 yard or 4.3 yards per carry. There isn't a single team in the league that wouldn't much rather have a great quarterback than a great running back, or in other words get great production out of the passing game rather than great production out of the running game.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
Funny how the media split the vote b/w Peyton and Adrian by giving Adrian the MVP and Peyton Comeback POY. Seems like Adrian would take both but it's not worth complaining about.

RGIII won ROY, deservedly, only beef is that Wilson deserved more votes than Luck but meh.
I think they got the Comeback POY right. By most standards AP had a pretty good year last year. He was on pace for a fantastic season and finished with 970 yards and 12 scores in 12 games. In most cases he could have won both, but with Manning not playing at all last year i think CPOY for him is valid.

They absolutely got MVP right though.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
I think they got the Comeback POY right. By most standards AP had a pretty good year last year. He was on pace for a fantastic season and finished with 970 yards and 12 scores in 12 games. In most cases he could have won both, but with Manning not playing at all last year i think CPOY for him is valid.

They absolutely got MVP right though.
I see people complain about AP not winning CPOY and laugh(and there is alot of people). The guy only missed what 4 games last year? Peyton was out the whole season and there was a chance he was never coming back

They got both awards right

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I usually dont like running backs winning mvp, but that Vikings team was straight garbage outside of AP, that team making the playoffs was a Peterson made miracle and he deserved to win mvp
I posted this in another thread, but the wins and losses for the Vikings this year were far more closely tied to how Christian Ponder played rather than Adrian Peterson. I agree with croco, the running game is just not nearly as important as passing the football efficiently and defending the pass in today's NFL.

Adrian Peterson
In wins: 133.5 ypg, 5.5 ypc, 0.8 TD/g
In losses: 127.0 ypg, 7.3 ypc, 0.7 TD/g

Christian Ponder
In wins: 6.44 ypa, 64.2 comp%, 11/5 TD/INT, 88.3 QB rating
In losses: 5.61 ypa, 59.4 comp%, 7/7 TD/INT, 72.2 QB rating

The Vikings started the season 4-1, but Peterson had 4 of his 6 lowest rushing totals of the entire season.

My argument against Peterson is not that he's not a more valuable running back than Manning is a quarterback, it's just that the quarterback position is much more important than the running back position and Manning is a far more important and valuable player than Peterson.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but the wins and losses for the Vikings this year were far more closely tied to how Christian Ponder played rather than Adrian Peterson. I agree with croco, the running game is just not nearly as important as passing the football efficiently and defending the pass in today's NFL.

Adrian Peterson

Christian Ponder

The Vikings started the season 4-1, but Peterson had 4 of his 6 lowest rushing totals of the entire season.

My argument against Peterson is not that he's not a more valuable running back than Manning is a quarterback, it's just that the quarterback position is much more important than the running back position and Manning is a far more important and valuable player than Peterson.
Im gonna put this out there....Denver won a Playoff game with Tim Tebow but didnt with Peyton Manning

The team was/is good...Minny isnt very good beside Adrian Peterson

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

Adrian Peterson

Christian Ponder

That's a fair assessment of the situation, i agree that every year a quarterback should win the award. I would be willing to bet if you polled every gm in the nfl who they would rather have between Peterson and Rodgers,Brady,Manning or Brees they all would take the quarterback.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
Exactly.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
QB are more important sure. But this year no QB really had that amazing season...Peterson did

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Im gonna put this out there....Denver won a Playoff game with Tim Tebow but didnt with Peyton Manning

The team was/is good...Minny isnt very good beside Adrian Peterson
Of course there are exceptions to every rule. It's like the obligatory "but Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl" comment to justify keeping and starting a shitty quarterback (see arguments being made for Mark Sanchez the last 3 years). Tim Tebow did win a playoff game, and has yet to play a meaningful snap at quarterback in the NFL since and possibly never will, what does that tell you?

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Of course there are exceptions to every rule. It's like the obligatory "but Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl" comment to justify keeping and starting a shitty quarterback (see arguments being made for Mark Sanchez the last 3 years). Tim Tebow did win a playoff game, and has yet to play a meaningful snap at quarterback in the NFL since and possibly never will, what does that tell you?
That Denver has a good team. Peyton didnt change anything

Peterson was Minny whole team

1 - 20 of 31 Posts