Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1373&line=82940&spln=1

Point Guard Acie Law may have a promise from the Clippers, who hold the 14th pick in Thursday's draft.
ESPN's Chad Ford says that Law may not be around after the Clippers pick and this all makes sense given the uncertainty surrounding the Clippers point guard situation. Sam Cassell is past his prime, Jason Hart is a free agent and Shaun Livingston's future is in doubt after last year's devastating knee injury. Jun. 22 - 1:33 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Re: Acie Law may have promise from Clippers?

100% false i think. its already reported that he might have a promise at 11 (atlanta), and thats why he cancelled a workout with the hornets. The hornets (13th pick) was the day after the atlanta workout. If your promise is at 14, you stop working out for teams AFTER that pick, not before it.

Plus not to mention all the word that the clippers are not looking for PG.

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

yamaneko said:
Could be a smoke screen. It seems like sites like DX and ESPN have hinted that the Clippers have been interested in both Crittenton and Law. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a smoke screen, Clippers rarely show their hand in their decisions.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts

Seems highly likely. Or at least any 1st round PG that falls to 14 will be picked up by the Clippers. Either way, it makes too much sense to take a PG. If all the good PGs are taken, they'll take a SG for the future.

·
Registered
586 Posts

Wow....hurry and pull the trigger on the AK47 + fisher for Maggette + Mobley + Cassell trade!!!
We dont need to draft a PG.

·
Registered
693 Posts

leidout said:
No More Promises!!!
Exactly, why do teams make promises in the first place. Leave your options open.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts

I dont think it makes any sense for the clippers to pick a PG. Pretty much every PG in this draft, other than conley jr. would have been 2nd round picks in other drafts where the PG crop was stronger. The team doesnt need another ewing/diaz type. We need either a franchise level guy who has huge upside, like a conley jr...otherwise, just get another brunson or hart for the minimum wage who would probably do more than the other PG's in the draft. if you have a lottery pick, you have to spend it on lottery talent. Not some guy who is only lottery projected because of the weakness of the position in the draft

·
Registered
165 Posts

yamaneko said:
100% false i think. its already reported that he might have a promise at 11 (atlanta), and thats why he cancelled a workout with the hornets. The hornets (13th pick) was the day after the atlanta workout. If your promise is at 14, you stop working out for teams AFTER that pick, not before it.

It may be true he has a promise with the Hawks...But that isn't necessary the reason, he cancelled the Hornets workout...The cancellation with the Hornets workout is mainly because the chances they draft him is like 1% because they already have a young star PG in Chris Paul and they have needs in SF. I bet he rather go to the Clippers 1 pick after the Hornets b/c he knows he can't start at the Hornets while at the Clippers all he has to do is beat out a 37yr old player and HArt.

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2134

After cancelling a workout with the New Orleans Hornets, the Oklahoman is speculating that Acie Law may have received a guarantee from the Atlanta Hawks. A quick call to Law’s agency, Wasserman Media Group, leads us to believe otherwise. “Acie Law does not have a promise from Atlanta,” told us Greg Lawrence of WMG. “The workout went well, and teams are impressed by him, but he does not have a commitment.”

So why did Law cancel his workout with New Orleans? From what we understand, Law would much rather be drafted one slot down from the Hornets, at #14 by the Los Angeles Clippers, rather than play behind 2005 Rookie of the Year point guard Chris Paul. The Clippers are desperate for a point guard who can play minutes right away due to Sam Cassell’s heath problems, and Law would find himself in a perfect situation in Los Angeles—which happens to be in WMG’s backyard. Adding intrigue is the fact that the Clippers’ highly regarded Director of Player Personnel, Neil Olshey, used to work with Arn Tellem and the rest of the WMG crew at their former agency, SFX Sports.

Regardless, sources tell us that there is a very good chance that Law will indeed get drafted by Atlanta, even if he does not have a commitment at this point.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts

If the clippers resign hart, acie law is the third string PG. Same situation as hornets. The logic isnt making sense to me. Do people ever confirm promises (whether its clippers or hawks) before the draft? So them saying theres no promise with the clippers nor the hawks doesnt mean much to me. Promise or no promise, if atlanta doesnt take conley at 3, and if they dont make a trade for j. jack, i dont see them passing on law at 11, just like the article says.

If hornets arent at all interested in him/PG, why did they invite him to a workout? Welcome to the crazy world of the nba draft...does anything ever make sense in it?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts

Im not a fan of crittenton either. I dont like law but id take law before crittenton. I think the hawks would too despite crittenton being a georgia guy. I really wish that people didnt put so much emphasis on these workouts, and not what one does during the season. Its the reason we ended up with guys like chalmers, and the reason why guys like skitavilli get drafted in high lottery.

·
Registered
165 Posts

yamaneko said:
If the clippers resign hart, acie law is the third string PG. Same situation as hornets. The logic isnt making sense to me. Do people ever confirm promises (whether its clippers or hawks) before the draft? So them saying theres no promise with the clippers nor the hawks doesnt mean much to me. Promise or no promise, if atlanta doesnt take conley at 3, and if they dont make a trade for j. jack, i dont see them passing on law at 11, just like the article says.

If hornets arent at all interested in him/PG, why did they invite him to a workout? Welcome to the crazy world of the nba draft...does anything ever make sense in it?
THe situation is different...Chris Paul is the franchise player for the Hornets. He's gonna be there for a long time. Sam Cassell is an old injury-prone player who has 1 yr left in his contract. Law would never start at NO unless Paul suffers a Livingston injury. Hart is not a guaranteed Clippers and he was a 3rd string PG at Sac, I wouldnt be surprised if Law's able to beat him out for the backup spot after the 1st half of the season.

Still, I bet LAw goes to ATL unless they draft COnley

·
Registered
5,561 Posts

well i wouldnt go that far, but i can say i cant stand the news that the clippers would take him at 14. Lets say we do that diaw trade and end up with some picks in the 20's....then yes, id take law no problem with a pick in the 20;s.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts

The thing is, law probably will not start anywhere, it doesnt matter where he goes. Hart in my mind no doubt is bteter than law, first of all he already knows the offense and has proven himself in it. Law, in PG strong drafts would probablybe a second rounder....hes only being projected lottery due to the weakness of the position.

He also doesnt have history on his side. How many Sr "true" point guards have really become starters in their first few years? Jameer Nelson in 2004? ANd id pick nelson a good 10 picks ahead of picking law...and nelson went 20th in a draft that wasnt THAT strong on PG either. Look at all the other senior PG's who were drafted, most haevnt done much in their career. Most of the good PG's come out early. I dont think its a lock that law even can beat hart on the depth chart. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily....but for a lottery pick, i think its a reach to pick someone who would ideally be your 3rd stringer. Now, were talking the 22 pick or something, lets go get him.

Im not rooting AGAINST law. Id like to see him do well, go in and win ROY...its not like id be mad at him. Im just saying, hes a 2nd round pick in a year deep with PG's, history does not look well on senior PG's, and i think 14 is too high to pick him, when you have a shot at one of the top 2 SG's in the draft at that spot. Sg's who would probably be top 5-10 in last years draft

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts