1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Personally, I doubt that AD will be traded due to his large contract. He would be a valuable piece to the team in terms of veteran leadership and giving us quality back-up minutes at the 4 once this team gets healthy. I think AD really likes it here in Chicago despite the losing.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I tend to think it's unlikely too, but then again AD would fit Carlisle's style and if anywhere made sense, it might be a homecoming to the Pacers.

For their part, the Pacers have made dreadful use of Scott Pollard who's really not as bad as he's looked for the Pacers. He'd be much better in a more up tempo style.

Pollard, Croshere, and Fred Jones for AD and Gill would work. I don't know that it'd help us a whole lot. We'd definitely lose something on defense.

What we really need to do is imagine a series of moves that would fit a good pattern. By itself, this move doesn't seem to help much because it's a net addition of frontcourt players.

If it were combined with moving at least two of Curry or Chandler, JYD or Fizer or Blount, then I guess it might make sense.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Harrington and Croshere's big and long contract for AD. I would take this deal. The Pacers might bite this deal cuz of Croshere's contract. However, they don't want to mess with something that's doing too well.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Al could be great for us,and I'd do it even with Austins terrible contract.

but i cannot see it happening from Pacers point of view.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
AD would be a great fit there. We would have to take Croshere . We would want Harrington which means they would want Crawford. They would want to rid themselves of Pollard. We would only do that if they take JYD. So do you do a JC,Davis,JYD for Croshere,Harrington,Pollard,Ant Johnson(backup PG)? No I don't think it is worth it. Baby Al would be great but not at that price.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
I tend to think it's unlikely too, but then again AD would fit Carlisle's style and if anywhere made sense, it might be a homecoming to the Pacers.

For their part, the Pacers have made dreadful use of Scott Pollard who's really not as bad as he's looked for the Pacers. He'd be much better in a more up tempo style.

Pollard, Croshere, and Fred Jones for AD and Gill would work. I don't know that it'd help us a whole lot. We'd definitely lose something on defense.

What we really need to do is imagine a series of moves that would fit a good pattern. By itself, this move doesn't seem to help much because it's a net addition of frontcourt players.

If it were combined with moving at least two of Curry or Chandler, JYD or Fizer or Blount, then I guess it might make sense.
I disagree

I think this would be a great move for the Bulls , and a move which balances us on so many fronts

Pollard, Croshere and Jones for Davis and Gill

I would do that in an instant

Firstly..

Fred Jones is the biggest kept secret in the Eastern Conference. This guy can play . Very good defensively with nice defensive anticipation , he's got quick feet and is as athletic as all hell and moves extremely well off the ball . More of a slasher type at the moment that feeds off what the Pacers offense creates for him but seems to handle and pass the ball well within the offense but he can and does put the ball on the floor and drive and he's quick and in control Haven't seen him shooting from range or often.. although he's shooting mechanic on his J looks fluid as it does at the free throw line. He's still developing and it kind of suits them bringing him on behind Reggie but it seems to me that they have big plans for him and that a Tinsley / Jones back court next year is exciting . Everyone has been giving Josh Howard his props with what he has been doing in Dallas.. whilst at the same time Jones has been all that - and more - with more athleticism and quickness and scoring ability than Josh Howard . And that's no knock on Howard who I am a fan of and I think is going to be a very solid pro

So would I like to get my hands on Fred Jones as a future possibility at 2 guard ? Hell yeah . I see him as comparable to Desmond Mason on the defensive end but with perhaps a slightly more developed capacity to drive and get his shot.. but I think they are not too dissimilar and both would do better with a more trad pass first point guard beside them ( Ford and Tinsley/Hinrich respectively ) So if anything I think our perimeter defense firms by adding Fred Jones

And then there'd Pollard who is a genuine Center unlike AD and can still mix it up and defend. I actually would rate his boarding and defensive contribution the equal to that of AD so I don't think we lose anything defensively there .. rather I think we add to our defense upfront because of the extra size Pollard gives us over AD who is not the shotblocking intimidator he once was . Pollard is not a jumping jack per se .. but he is rangier and at this stage of their respective careers has more capacity to be an alterer / deterrer of shots in the middle than what AD is

So on to Croshere .. who I think is exactly the type of player we need on the Bulls . A rich man's Pat Garrity .. in contractual terms but also in basketball terms . Austin can get his shot . Yes he can lose control at times if he over does it putting it on the floor from too far out . He is effective putting it on the floor but his real value is his shooting and long range shooting at that that forces a big to come out and respect his ability from out there . Its hard to zone if you have Austin and at least one possibly two other competent 3 point shooters out there . And using Austin as part of a zone busting team allows greater room inside for Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler . People diss Austin because of what he is paid but the guy didn't lose his skills and what he can do . Is he overpaid ? Sure. Can he still play ball and could his game help this team in how we are currently constructed ? Sure

You want to push and run the floor with high energy and size and throw the ball in the general vicinity of the hoop to bring it down?

How about :

Pollard
Chandler
Dupree
Jones
Hinrich

Williams ( for Chandler or Pollard )
Robinson ( for Dupree )
Crawford ( for Hinrich or Jones )

That's the 8 to put the defensive smack down and run the other team out of the gym with transition points

In a more structured half court set where the zones are giving it to you making life tough inside how about :

Curry
Chandler
Croshere
Crawford
Hinrich

Pollard ( for Chandler which sends Curry to the PF spot to exploit the mismatch )
Jones ( for Hinrich which sends Crawford back to the point )

That's the 7 you go with when you want to break up the interior defense / zone

Yes Curry and Croshere are not special defensively but the mismatch that both will have most nights can compensate if they perfect their roles and play competent team defense ( which Croshere does ) . And yes Crawford has a way to go in this department too before he will be recognised as a defender (which he is not )

So this 5 has 3 competent 3 point shooters which really pave the way for Curry inside and clears the paint for Tyson to work the offensive boards and for Croshere to judiciously work his fake and drive move ( and he would have the lanes to do it )

If this team is getting killed defensively you try and work your defensive match ups better and in doing so lose a shooter ... so you put Curry back to PF and bring in Pollard at Center ( to spell Tyson ) and make the adjustment at guard and put Jamal back at the point and bring Jones in to spell Hinrich . This way you have Jamal's size and speed to bother the opposing point ( even if he doesn't use it to full advantage to pressure the ball like Kirk does ) and you have Jones to match up with the opposing two . Jamal can still create and drive the lanes if his shot is falling and there is the dual threat of Croshere out there - both of them can still take it in and get their shot .. but Jamal has Jones always moving off the ball and screening himself free ( the knackof which is is learning from Reggie no doubt and he has Eddy atthe PF mismatch inside ... so he has 3 legit scoring options ... Eddy inside .. out to Jones the cutter .. or to Croshere the shooter of driver as the alternative ... these 3 options Jamal has if he doesn't have anything going on for himself

And with the shooting , driving in , inside paint target ... all this room is created for Pollard the cleaner .

Defensively , Pollard / Chandler and Jones / Hinrich are the core inside and out .. we just need Croshere to rotate and play competent team defense .. Jamal to match up against the opposing point and slow down the ball movement and Eddy... well yeah .... just put a body on big boy and box out ... front your man occasionally and then roll and box - use that big arse of yours and bump your man in his mid riff , create the room and you might find you've denied your man the entry pass forced the offense to take a lower percentage outside shot and the ball has found its way into those soft and smooth Mr Wonderful Gorilla mits hands of yours . See : simple Ed.. and then on offense just keep doing what you do ( but focus on your free throws more ) and when you actually get properly fit and can play your game without getting fatigued ( and just follow this simple example on the defensive end ) you may find your actually one of the games top 5 Centers

But I digress...

We basically have a 10 man rotation of :

Curry
Chandler
Dupree
Crawford
Hinrich

Pollard
Williams
Croshere
Robinson
Jones

Where everyone would get proper ( and appropriate ) playing time and be allowed to develop rythym with the Coaching staff having the tools for different game type situations ... but hopefully knowing how best to employ them

We still have trading chips as well with nominal value of contract size and contribtors ( Croshere and JYD ) to add to one of our young pieces to pull off a trade for a top 5 SF type ...if we are in draft position for Okafur

But Pollard, Croshere and Jones have a much better chance of being part of this team's future than what AD and Kendall Gill do

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
he's playing like he doesn't want to be traded. He may need some medical attention

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Hey, I'd do the trade, i just think it would portend more to come. Doing the trade by itself makes our surplus of big men expand into a real glut.

4- Chandler, Croshere, JYD, Fizer
5- Curry, Blount, Pollard

and that's a couple too many.

Of course, that's not a real problem because I'd be looking to send Blount and Fizer away for something decent as they're both expiring deals, and I think we'd be able to squeeze in JYD at the 3 some and as a general utility guy.

Or maybe we just try and trade Curry Sooner rather than later. I'm fast becoming convinced he's El Busto.

-------------

And yeah, I think AD is playing at about 75%. and taking away a hustle guy's ability to hustle takes a lot of his advantage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts