Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion, the NBA should add a 3rd round to the NBA draft. With the recent craze over European and High School Players, the number of quality players not being drafted has increased a lot. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
There's no reason to do this. Look at the percentage of second-rounders and even guys picked after 20-25 that aren't even around after a couple years. It'd just be a waste of time and scouting budget.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by CoolHandLuke
There's no reason to do this. Look at the percentage of second-rounders and even guys picked after 20-25 that aren't even around after a couple years. It'd just be a waste of time and scouting budget.
I agree. If nearly every second round pick made it in the NBA, then I'd agree with you. But, as it is, there's barely a need for a second round, let alone a third.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The only thing that would make adding rounds a necessity, is if the NBA had a minor league system similar to that of baseball. If each team had its own minor league affiliate(s), than adding rounds would be a good idea.

But as it is now, it's just not practical.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I'd rather see more rounds and minor leagues than more expansion

If they made the draft a few rounds longer and gave each team a minor league team and put them in places that aren't big enough to support an NBA team but has a lot of basketball fans then only good could come from it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'd actually like it too. It'd also give teams a chance to "teach" players how to play the style of basketball that they envision.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd be for a minor league system as well. I certainly don't want to drive off the college basketball, but I think it could be a benefit. At this point, a minor league team for every NBA team might be too much, but if Charlotte gets another team (cross your fingers folks), the NBA would have an even 30 teams. I think you could combine two NBA teams for one minor league team with each NBA team having 6 roster spots. The minor league team's staff would deteremine whos plays and how each player is developed. You could set them up to be fairly local (Like having a Nets/Knicks minor league team in Buffalo, etc.) and players could be available whenever teams need them (like baseball).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You can't really split teams, because their would certainly be complaints about who gets more playing time (which would speed up development)

As for college basketball... I think it's very unfair that they aren't paid, while the universities make millions. At least in minor league baseball, they'd make some money.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
There is minor basketball now really. You have the CBA, ABA, NBDL, USBL, and Euro leagues. The NBDL is really the only NBA sanciton minor league teams. The teams in those other leagues (not euro as much), are very flexiable on having players sign 10-day contracts with the NBA team or even sign with them. THe KC knights of the ABA is the most successful team in the new ABA, and we even had roughly 18 players the past two seasons to sign with the NBA during the season and still win. So I really do not see a reason to have a minor league system which techinally there is one even though they are (not nbdl) indpendment.

College basketball players should get money, but they have to wrok for it in a real job, working less than 15 hours a week after the season or even before the season. I don't see a point for players to get paid to play baskeball. True universities make a crap load, but most of that money goes to other functions in the sporting department which other teams hardly make money, and the moeny goes to other college expenittures.

What do you mean about in minor legue baseball the make a little money? Are you saying that the summer they make money and go backt o school during off season. I can not collerate between college b-ball players not getting paid and minor league palyes getting paid. Don't see it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts