Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seem a lot of chatter where alums are playing abroad. I was curious myself. I'm not going to go team by team because it's a lot, but you can navigate it yourself using EuroBasket.com and just go to the Ex-Players section of each school - if it has 2021 next to the team, that means they're under contract for the current season:

Also, just make sure you note the competition level...just because someone is playing in Spain, France, etc. doesn't mean they are in the first division. Not all leagues are created equal in-country and within the country. Some are glorified rec league semi-pro ball.

Some highlights though:

UVM's Trae Bell-Haynes as mentioned is the top scorer and assist leader in the German BBL, which is its highest division. Germany is closer to the top of the competition rankings across Europe.

UNH's Tanner Leissner is in the top division in Turkey, which is one of the best leagues in Europe as well. He's doing well too: 12.5/5.5 through 12 games and plays over 30 minutes a game for his team which is mid-pack. Still, that's quite good. Also, Jaleen Smith plays a significant role for his team in the German BBL too.

Stony Brook's Jameel Warney is the Korean KBL's leading scorer. Step down from China overall probably, but it's top 3 in Asia (Australia being the other) and has some other guys who had cups of coffee in the NBA too. He's likely very well compensated, however.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't know if TBH numbers are an anomaly after average showings earlier in BBL and Canada, but you would have to think NBA teams would at least eye someone with those stats. Brad Wanamaker and Daniel Theis both came to the Celtics after strong BBL seasons. I haven't done much research on other players making the jump from Germany to NBA.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if TBH numbers are an anomaly after average showings earlier in BBL and Canada, but you would have to think NBA teams would at least eye someone with those stats. Brad Wanamaker and Daniel Theis both came to the Celtics after strong BBL seasons. I haven't done much research on other players making the jump from Germany to NBA.
Wanamaker went from Germany to Turkey to play for their best clubs before the Celtics. The common theme however between both Theis and Wanamaker is they were on teams playing in EuroLeague. Theis played for Brose Bamberg, which is historically one of the best German clubs and was a EuroLeague staple when he was there. That's like Champions League for those familiar with soccer. It basically takes the best teams across Europe (some have permanent 'licenses' to be in the in the competition annually). Whenever guys cross the pond from abroad or go over there and produce and get another shot, it's generally because they played on a team that was in that competition. Germany is however quickly becoming a proving ground for US guys to go show what they've got and potentially move upward into EuroLeague level teams. For TBH, I'd say he would maybe pique some interest from NBA teams for a 2-way deal next year if he keeps it up, but his long-term success over there is stringing together some good years and moving into a higher plane of competition either with a team like Brose, Alba Berlin or Bayern Munich in Germany, or going to a Turkey, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Balkan League etc. team that plays in EuroLeague or the 2nd competition EuroCup.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Seem a lot of chatter where alums are playing abroad. I was curious myself. I'm not going to go team by team because it's a lot, but you can navigate it yourself using EuroBasket.com and just go to the Ex-Players section of each school - if it has 2021 next to the team, that means they're under contract for the current season:

Also, just make sure you note the competition level...just because someone is playing in Spain, France, etc. doesn't mean they are in the first division. Not all leagues are created equal in-country and within the country. Some are glorified rec league semi-pro ball.

Some highlights though:

UVM's Trae Bell-Haynes as mentioned is the top scorer and assist leader in the German BBL, which is its highest division. Germany is closer to the top of the competition rankings across Europe.

UNH's Tanner Leissner is in the top division in Turkey, which is one of the best leagues in Europe as well. He's doing well too: 12.5/5.5 through 12 games and plays over 30 minutes a game for his team which is mid-pack. Still, that's quite good. Also, Jaleen Smith plays a significant role for his team in the German BBL too.

Stony Brook's Jameel Warney is the Korean KBL's leading scorer. Step down from China overall probably, but it's top 3 in Asia (Australia being the other) and has some other guys who had cups of coffee in the NBA too. He's likely very well compensated, however.
According to Fran Fraschilla--the most reputable source on this type of stuff--the basketball Bundesliga is ranked 9th; well below the Italian and Spanish leagues, and a bit below the turkish league too.

However, that's still quite a bit ahead of any of the Asian leagues (with the Chinese league the top-ranked in Asia).

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to Fran Fraschilla--the most reputable source on this type of stuff--the basketball Bundesliga is ranked 9th; well below the Italian and Spanish leagues, and a bit below the turkish league too.

However, that's still quite a bit ahead of any of the Asian leagues (with the Chinese league the top-ranked in Asia).
It was also published in 2017 and he's including continental competition as his top 2 spots. Take that out and consider only domestic competition and it's 7th, which considering there are 44 countries in Europe, my point stands; it's good basketball on the higher end of the scale on the continent.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
No, but he's staying busy liking anti-vaccination and cryptocurrency posts on Twitter.
Not sure why that made me laugh so hard, but it did...and almost cost me my laptop due to coffee exiting my mouth at a high velocity.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Leissner moving to Lithuania to play for BC Rytas, which is second to Zalgiris in the league most years. They're in the Basketball Champions League this coming year. That's a continental competition set up through FIBA, which attempted to consolidate the Euroleague (and its secondary EuroCup) into a single structure. The Euroleague teams said no (money + certain teams have permanent licenses to compete in it), so the Basketball Champions League was created on its own, based on merit for domestic competition, and those who don't qualify for EuroLeague via EuroCup. It's not exactly linear, which makes it a tad confusing.

Henson's new Belgian team is in this competition too for the qualifying rounds.

·
Premium Member
33,675 Posts
Not an AE Alum but I saw Nick Mayo from Maine (Eastern Kentucky for college) is playing on Golden State Warriors Summer League team.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not an AE Alum but I saw Nick Mayo from Maine (Eastern Kentucky for college) is playing on Golden State Warriors Summer League team.
Got to say that Anthony Lamb is getting lots of playing time in summer league. Started last night. He is certainly not lighting it up offensively but is quietly holding his own. With The Rockets in significant building mode and having brought in a bunch of talent in the draft I will be curious to see if he finds a home there. Playing lots of SF.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts