Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seem a lot of chatter where alums are playing abroad. I was curious myself. I'm not going to go team by team because it's a lot, but you can navigate it yourself using EuroBasket.com and just go to the Ex-Players section of each school - if it has 2021 next to the team, that means they're under contract for the current season:

Also, just make sure you note the competition level...just because someone is playing in Spain, France, etc. doesn't mean they are in the first division. Not all leagues are created equal in-country and within the country. Some are glorified rec league semi-pro ball.

Some highlights though:

UVM's Trae Bell-Haynes as mentioned is the top scorer and assist leader in the German BBL, which is its highest division. Germany is closer to the top of the competition rankings across Europe.

UNH's Tanner Leissner is in the top division in Turkey, which is one of the best leagues in Europe as well. He's doing well too: 12.5/5.5 through 12 games and plays over 30 minutes a game for his team which is mid-pack. Still, that's quite good. Also, Jaleen Smith plays a significant role for his team in the German BBL too.

Stony Brook's Jameel Warney is the Korean KBL's leading scorer. Step down from China overall probably, but it's top 3 in Asia (Australia being the other) and has some other guys who had cups of coffee in the NBA too. He's likely very well compensated, however.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if TBH numbers are an anomaly after average showings earlier in BBL and Canada, but you would have to think NBA teams would at least eye someone with those stats. Brad Wanamaker and Daniel Theis both came to the Celtics after strong BBL seasons. I haven't done much research on other players making the jump from Germany to NBA.
Wanamaker went from Germany to Turkey to play for their best clubs before the Celtics. The common theme however between both Theis and Wanamaker is they were on teams playing in EuroLeague. Theis played for Brose Bamberg, which is historically one of the best German clubs and was a EuroLeague staple when he was there. That's like Champions League for those familiar with soccer. It basically takes the best teams across Europe (some have permanent 'licenses' to be in the in the competition annually). Whenever guys cross the pond from abroad or go over there and produce and get another shot, it's generally because they played on a team that was in that competition. Germany is however quickly becoming a proving ground for US guys to go show what they've got and potentially move upward into EuroLeague level teams. For TBH, I'd say he would maybe pique some interest from NBA teams for a 2-way deal next year if he keeps it up, but his long-term success over there is stringing together some good years and moving into a higher plane of competition either with a team like Brose, Alba Berlin or Bayern Munich in Germany, or going to a Turkey, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Balkan League etc. team that plays in EuroLeague or the 2nd competition EuroCup.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to Fran Fraschilla--the most reputable source on this type of stuff--the basketball Bundesliga is ranked 9th; well below the Italian and Spanish leagues, and a bit below the turkish league too.

However, that's still quite a bit ahead of any of the Asian leagues (with the Chinese league the top-ranked in Asia).
It was also published in 2017 and he's including continental competition as his top 2 spots. Take that out and consider only domestic competition and it's 7th, which considering there are 44 countries in Europe, my point stands; it's good basketball on the higher end of the scale on the continent.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Leissner moving to Lithuania to play for BC Rytas, which is second to Zalgiris in the league most years. They're in the Basketball Champions League this coming year. That's a continental competition set up through FIBA, which attempted to consolidate the Euroleague (and its secondary EuroCup) into a single structure. The Euroleague teams said no (money + certain teams have permanent licenses to compete in it), so the Basketball Champions League was created on its own, based on merit for domestic competition, and those who don't qualify for EuroLeague via EuroCup. It's not exactly linear, which makes it a tad confusing.

Henson's new Belgian team is in this competition too for the qualifying rounds.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

Jaleen Smith looks like he's going back to Germany, to play for its best team in Alba Berlin, and in EuroLeague. That'd make him by far the AE alum competing at the highest level outside the states. The Suns who he's playing summer league with have 14 guys under contract so it was going to be tough to latch on. But, do well for a year or so at Alba, and that could lead to getting some guaranteed money from an NBA team down the line.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Here's a comprehensive list of AE schools alums currently under contract. It's still early so it could change. Still things like NBA rosters being finalized, plus the G-League Draft which a few AE guys could be picked in potentially. For example, Malik Ellison's deal with the College Park Skyhawks (Atlanta's G-League team) isn't official. Also, you have some guys who might get deals that haven't yet (Anthony Tarke, one-time NJIT player, who ended up at Coppin State via UTEP was just waived by the Pistons, plus lots of others who were playing pro ball in 2021 and don't have deals yet). I'll try my best. It's harder now that Eurobasket dot com put the alumni sections under a paywall, so you have to go through rosters by year. I only went back to 2010 (adding those pre-2010 as I find them). I figure that most guys older than that aren't playing, but I could be wrong, so I might miss a few.

Also, just to note not all countries basketball are equal. There are powerhouse teams in some nations where the rest of the league is pretty weak, or there are solid leagues across the board. Also, sometimes depending on the league the 2nd and 3rd divisions are semi-pro or amateur.

Albany

Jamar Wilson - Kataja (Finland 1st)
Jason Siggers - Maccabi Raanana (Israel 2nd)
Evan Singletary - Odessa (Ukraine 1st)
Joe Cremo - Zornotza (Spain 3rd)
David Nichols - Belfius Mons (Belgium 1st) - FIBA Champions League
Travis Charles - Solent Kestrels (United Kingdom 2nd)
Ahmad Clark - KK Feniks (North Macedonia 1st)
Romani Hansen - Pyrinto (Finland 1st)

Binghamton

Nick Mandray - WKK Wroclaw (Poland 2nd)
Thomas Bruce - Sentjur (Slovenia 1st)
Richard Caldwell - Koblenz (Germany 3rd)

Hartford

John Carroll - Albacete (Spain 3rd)
Pancake Thomas - Apollon Patras (Greece 1st)
Andrew Ramirez - Copenhagen (Denmark 1st)
Romain Boxus - Leuven (Belgium 1st)

Maine

Troy Barnies - Mykolaiv (Ukraine 1st)
Alasdair Fraser - Glasgow (United Kingdom 1st)
Justin Edwards - SC Derby (Montenegro 1st)
Xavier Pollard - KTE-Duna (Hungary 1st)
Jonathan Mesghna - Hamm (Germany 4th)
Til Gloger - Rostock (Germany 2nd)
Devine Eke - Palencia (Spain 2nd)
Issac Vann - NH Ostrava (Czech Republic 1st)
Danny Evans - Villarrobledo (Spain 3rd)
Dusan Majstorovic - Novi Pazar (Serbia 1st)
Isaiah White - Handlova (Slovakia 1st)
Sergio El Darwich - Beruit Club (Lebanon 1st)
Vilgot Larsson - BC Lulea (Sweden 1st)
Nedelijko Prijovic - Sloboda U. (Serbia 1st)

NJIT

Rob Ukawuba - La Antigua (Spain 4th)

Stony Brook

Jameel Warney - Seoul SK Knights (South Korea 1st)
Roland Nyama - Nuernberg (Germany 2nd)
Jakub Petras - Kolin (Czech Republic 1st)
Akwasi Yeboah - St-Chamond (France 2nd)

Lowell

Akeem Williams - Saint Vallier (France 2nd)
Christian Lutete - Kobrat (Finland 1st)

UMBC

KJ Jackson - CSM Steaua (Romania 1st)

UNH

Eric Gilchrese - Baerum Basket (Norway 1st)
Jaleen Smith - ALBA Berlin (Germany 1st) - Euroleague
Tanner Leissner - BC Rytas (Lithuania 1st) - FIBA Champions League

Vermont

Clancy Rugg - Esch (Luxembourg 1st)
Four McGlynn - Sentjur (Slovenia 1st)
Trae Bell-Haynes - Breogan (Spain 1st)
Payton Henson - Belfius Mons (Belgium 1st) - FIBA Champions League
Anthony Lamb - Houston Rockets (NBA)
Daniel Giddens - Neuchatel (Switzerland 1st)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
AE alums who made G League opening night rosters this year:

Malik Ellison (Hartford) - College Park Skyhawks (Atlanta Hawks)
UC Iroegbu (Stony Brook) - College Park Skyhawks (Atlanta Hawks)
JC Show (Binghamton) - Salt Lake City Stars (Utah Jazz)
Antony Tarke (NJIT/Coppin State) - Motor City Cruise (Detroit Pistons)
Obediah Noel (Lowell) - Raptors 905 (Toronto Raptors)
Anthony Lamb (Vermont) - Rio Grande Valley Vipers (Houston Rockets)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
2023 FIBA World Cup qualification has been happening over the last year. Some AE representation has been on it.

The current round of games includes:

Gerardo Suero (Albany), Dominican Republic
Romani Hansen (Albany), US Virgin Islands
JJ Barea (Northeastern), Puerto Rico (3 years in AE, he counts!)
Sergio El Darwich (Maine), Lebanon
Jakub Petras (Stony Brook), Slovakia
Jamar Wilson (Albany), Finland

Given that the NBA/NCAA and some higher-level European players aren't playing/skipping this round, you've seen some of these teams reaching into their depth. Team USA has G-Leaguers, plus guys like Isiah Thomas who is a free agent playing with them right now.

Clancy Rugg (Vermont) played as a naturalized player for Luxembourg in the pre-qualifying tournament for Europe, where they didn't advance.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
TBH went to a free agent minicamp held by the Utah Jazz last week. He's with team Canada for the latest round of FIBA Wold Cup Americas qualifiers, and he's getting interest from a team in Spain that plays EuroCup (second competition under EuroLeague, which is the best continent-wide competition in Europe).

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
In case anyone was wondering a few former AE players are in the current round of FIBA World Cup qualification.

UVM's Trae Bell-Haynes is with Canada who are undefeated in their group. They will move on to the final stage which is two groups of 6 with the top 3 qualifying for the World Cup, plus the best 4th place team for 7 bids overall. Canada will be in a group with Panama, Argentina, Venezuela, Dominican Republic and the Bahamas....they really should manage the top 3, but they also blew the Olympic qualifier tournament last time out when they were heavy favorites so who knows. Either way, if Canada qualifies, it's unlikely TBH lands on the final roster, because that's when all the NBA guys commit to playing.

Also in the Americas is Albany's Romani Hansen with the US Virgin Islands, who were eliminated. Stony Brook's Jaron Cornish was with the Buddy Hield-led Bahamas team that just managed to advance to the final qualification stage.

Lowell's Christian Lutete is playing for DR Congo and is their leading scorer. They have advanced to the second round, and are going into a group they could have a chance but it will be tough. The top 2 in each group qualify for the WC, plus the best-placed 3rd team.

Maine's Sergio El Darwich is with Lebanon who have advanced to the final round of qualifying, where the top 3 in each group, plus the best 4th place team get in. Lebanon is going to be in a group with New Zealand and the Philippines who probably are the toughest, so there is a chance. Not being in the group with Austrailia, Iran, China and Japan helps them a lot.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
You are much more knowledgeable than I on these matters, so maybe you know the answer to this. Why aren’t any of the Duncan’s playing for the Philippines national team?
The same reason Jordan Clarkson can't play for them either even though he has a Filipino parent. Apparently, under FIBA rules you have to have a passport of the country you intend to represent as a dual national by age 16. Which is pretty ridiculous for a variety of reasons. But, neither graduated Duncan is playing any organized basketball of any sort so that's one reason they aren't suited up (the other being they wouldn't count as Filipino).

It does sound like the Phillippines are trying to fight that ruling so more of their dual nationals can play. That apparently includes guys like Remy Martin, Ron Harper Jr, and Kehei Clark and even Jalen Green on the Rockets (though I suspect he'd prefer USA right now) via a Google search.

It's weird because it feels like Nigeria is able to get US-based guys eligible who I am guessing did not have Nigerian passports in their youth, same with the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (though this is kind of different given all Puerto Ricans are dual nationals).

Ben Shungu is also of DR Congolese descent via his parents. I'd have no clue if he was eligible to represent them or not under FIBA rules. They really should change them, it would help a lot of places that have pretty large diasporas. Hasn't hurt FIFA with its rule where people can switch or so long as they can obtain a passport and prove they have lineage to the country.

Would also give Stef Smith another choice (Jamacia). Though, I think he made the Canada U23 roster for a mini tournament going on in Toronto starting tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts