Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I wonder how many Vipers fans there are.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wonder how many Vipers fans there are.
I watched most of the two finals games. Lamb starts and plays a lot. These games are not easy to watch. Most of the time guys are playing one on one/hero ball seemingly trying to make a name for them selves. Lots of fast breaks and tons of turnovers. Lamb manages to be productive, although his scoring was down in the finals games...lots of rebounds, assists, some blocks, seemed quicker than I remember him at Patrick. He stood out for me as trying to involve his teammates, looking to play team ball. The announcers mentioned that he is one of, if not the most, versatile players on the team. That said, I still don't see Anthony has having the skill set or quickness to make it on the court very much with the big boys.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
TBH went to a free agent minicamp held by the Utah Jazz last week. He's with team Canada for the latest round of FIBA Wold Cup Americas qualifiers, and he's getting interest from a team in Spain that plays EuroCup (second competition under EuroLeague, which is the best continent-wide competition in Europe).

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
In case anyone was wondering a few former AE players are in the current round of FIBA World Cup qualification.

UVM's Trae Bell-Haynes is with Canada who are undefeated in their group. They will move on to the final stage which is two groups of 6 with the top 3 qualifying for the World Cup, plus the best 4th place team for 7 bids overall. Canada will be in a group with Panama, Argentina, Venezuela, Dominican Republic and the Bahamas....they really should manage the top 3, but they also blew the Olympic qualifier tournament last time out when they were heavy favorites so who knows. Either way, if Canada qualifies, it's unlikely TBH lands on the final roster, because that's when all the NBA guys commit to playing.

Also in the Americas is Albany's Romani Hansen with the US Virgin Islands, who were eliminated. Stony Brook's Jaron Cornish was with the Buddy Hield-led Bahamas team that just managed to advance to the final qualification stage.

Lowell's Christian Lutete is playing for DR Congo and is their leading scorer. They have advanced to the second round, and are going into a group they could have a chance but it will be tough. The top 2 in each group qualify for the WC, plus the best-placed 3rd team.

Maine's Sergio El Darwich is with Lebanon who have advanced to the final round of qualifying, where the top 3 in each group, plus the best 4th place team get in. Lebanon is going to be in a group with New Zealand and the Philippines who probably are the toughest, so there is a chance. Not being in the group with Austrailia, Iran, China and Japan helps them a lot.

·
Registered
230 Posts
In case anyone was wondering a few former AE players are in the current round of FIBA World Cup qualification.

UVM's Trae Bell-Haynes is with Canada who are undefeated in their group. They will move on to the final stage which is two groups of 6 with the top 3 qualifying for the World Cup, plus the best 4th place team for 7 bids overall. Canada will be in a group with Panama, Argentina, Venezuela, Dominican Republic and the Bahamas....they really should manage the top 3, but they also blew the Olympic qualifier tournament last time out when they were heavy favorites so who knows. Either way, if Canada qualifies, it's unlikely TBH lands on the final roster, because that's when all the NBA guys commit to playing.

Also in the Americas is Albany's Romani Hansen with the US Virgin Islands, who were eliminated. Stony Brook's Jaron Cornish was with the Buddy Hield-led Bahamas team that just managed to advance to the final qualification stage.

Lowell's Christian Lutete is playing for DR Congo and is their leading scorer. They have advanced to the second round, and are going into a group they could have a chance but it will be tough. The top 2 in each group qualify for the WC, plus the best-placed 3rd team.

Maine's Sergio El Darwich is with Lebanon who have advanced to the final round of qualifying, where the top 3 in each group, plus the best 4th place team get in. Lebanon is going to be in a group with New Zealand and the Philippines who probably are the toughest, so there is a chance. Not being in the group with Austrailia, Iran, China and Japan helps them a lot.
You are much more knowledgeable than I on these matters, so maybe you know the answer to this. Why aren’t any of the Duncan’s playing for the Philippines national team?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
You are much more knowledgeable than I on these matters, so maybe you know the answer to this. Why aren’t any of the Duncan’s playing for the Philippines national team?
The same reason Jordan Clarkson can't play for them either even though he has a Filipino parent. Apparently, under FIBA rules you have to have a passport of the country you intend to represent as a dual national by age 16. Which is pretty ridiculous for a variety of reasons. But, neither graduated Duncan is playing any organized basketball of any sort so that's one reason they aren't suited up (the other being they wouldn't count as Filipino).

It does sound like the Phillippines are trying to fight that ruling so more of their dual nationals can play. That apparently includes guys like Remy Martin, Ron Harper Jr, and Kehei Clark and even Jalen Green on the Rockets (though I suspect he'd prefer USA right now) via a Google search.

It's weird because it feels like Nigeria is able to get US-based guys eligible who I am guessing did not have Nigerian passports in their youth, same with the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (though this is kind of different given all Puerto Ricans are dual nationals).

Ben Shungu is also of DR Congolese descent via his parents. I'd have no clue if he was eligible to represent them or not under FIBA rules. They really should change them, it would help a lot of places that have pretty large diasporas. Hasn't hurt FIFA with its rule where people can switch or so long as they can obtain a passport and prove they have lineage to the country.

Would also give Stef Smith another choice (Jamacia). Though, I think he made the Canada U23 roster for a mini tournament going on in Toronto starting tomorrow.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts