Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I am happy for Benny. He is probably the hardest-working player out there and deserves every nickel he gets ten times over. It is not a knock against Smith.
Saying you are going to "relish the fact that Benny has landed in a much better spot with likely more lucrative compensation" is not a knock against Smith? How is anyone not supposed to interpret that as you hoping Smith ends up in a worse league and financial situation than Shungu? You truly love to prove you can be stupider than previously thought.

This isn't your first anti-Smith take on here. It's pretty pathetic to say stuff like that about a player who was an all-conference performer and helped UVM win a lot of basketball games. All because you prefer someone else? Didn't like some flaw in his game (gasp, all players have them!)? All because you're butthurt Smith took a unique opportunity to play at a higher level with a free year and get two degrees?

I don't know where Smith will end up come September (he's still playing in the CEBL which runs until mid-August). But one thing I do know is that I, nor most people here are going to take pleasure out of the fact that he might land in a spot that isn't as good as a former teammate. That's because that's asshole behavior. And people who say that are pieces of shit too.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
They were in town for a teammate's wedding. (I think) - Becker's camp isn't for another week says the UVM campus rec calendar)
Ah. That would explain it. I was just trying to establish their professional-basketball bona fides to put them in this thread... I know some of them are playing overseas, but wasn't sure if all were.

And congratulations to the happy couple, whoever they may be.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)

Jaleen Smith named to final roster for Croatia and EuroBasket. Not sure, and haven't looked, but is that a first for an AE player to play in the competition? (Edit: nope, Jamar Wilson has for Finland, duh)

Also, A**hnoy L*mb is going to training camp for the FIBA AmeriCup (this is a FIBA Americas domestic tournament that is held annually, and usually G-Leaguers go, as evidenced by the rest of the roster): 2022 AmeriCup Training Camp Participants

Trae Bell-Haynes once again on Canada's FIBA World Cup qualifier roster for this window: Canada announces training camp roster for next window of FIBA World Cup qualifiers - Sportsnet.ca

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Update to the above item, Bell-Haynes isn't on the final Canada roster for this window of qualifiers. In his defense, SGH, Cory Joseph, and Kevin Pangos are better than he is at the same position and were in this camp window.

AE reps this round:

Malik Ellison (Hartford) - USA
Uche Iroegbu (Stony Brook) - Nigeria
Christian Lutete (Lowell) - DR Congo

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Eurobasket started today. Jaleen Smith did end up making it to the roster for Croatia. Among the teammates are Bogdan Bogdanovic, Ivica Zubac, Dario Saric, and Mario Hezonja. So that’s a pretty cool career accomplishment. They play tomorrow at 11AM against Greece, which has all three Antetokuonmpo brothers playing.

If you’re looking for some good hoops before the season starts over here, this tournament is fairly loaded and is available on ESPN+.

The AmeriCup games are also available there. U.S. and Canada both play tomorrow. Some pretty strong rosters in this tournament as well.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Jaleen played real well against Greece in a loss. Several late threes to keep them in it. Had 23 I think. Giannis made a great block on a Jaleen 3 with seconds left to keep Greece ahead.
I was really impressed with how he played. He was a big part of why they came back from a big halftime deficit. Really entertaining game overall.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
FIBA AmeriCup from Friday: Anthony Lamb had 2 pts. in 9 mins as the US was surprised by Mexico, 73-67. TBH with 12 pts. (5/17 shooting) and 8 rebs in Canada's 72-63 loss to Brazil.
I caught the second half of both games. The U.S. was pretty terrible, although maybe that’s what to expect from a slapped together roster of mostly G League guys. Lot of jacked threes and bad passes.

Despite Bell-Haynes not shooting great, I thought he was Canada’s second or third best player behind Delano Banton and maybe Khalif Young. He played the most minutes of anyone. Brazil brought a pretty good roster to this tournament. Probably the second best on paper to Argentina, who really should win this thing.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
In a "That's so America East" moment for this tournament, the US game vs. Venezuela was suspended at halftime (with USA up 48-21) because of a leak in the roof. Lamb had 6 pts (2/6 from 3-pt. range) and 2 boards in the 1st Half. From what I can tell, completion of the game is currently TBD as of this moment.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Canada beat 62-61. TBH had 19 pts. and hit the game-winning FT with 00:01 left to break a 61-61 tie. USA clobbered Panama 88-58. Not much from Lamb, 3 pts. and 2 boards. The US finishes its postponed game tomorrow afternoon, then Quarterfinals for both teams (assuming the US doesn't blow a 27-point halftime lead) will be Thursday.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
U.S. has looked like an entirely different team since the opening loss. Today that was helped along by atrocious Panamanian defense. It resembled a warm up drill at times. Lamb hasn’t looked to score much at all. TBH was really solid. He plays almost the whole game and clearly has the confidence of the coaches. He and Banton combined for 39 of the 62.

Smith continues to be a major contributor for Croatia, which is now 2-1 in the group stage after surviving a challenge from Estonia. Smith with 13 points and 7 assists. They’re in pretty good shape to advance with two difficult games (Italy and Ukraine) left before the knockout stage. There have been some really good games in Eurobasket.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts