Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
AE refs can be pretty bad at times, but rarely to tip the game, and what do you expect? I doubt we pay enough to attract NBA or ACC caliber ref talent. I imagine they all do it mostly b-c they love the game.

That being said, I kvetch on this forum and boo my head off at games at calls I do not like

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
For a Hartford fan this was a fun game to watch....the opposite of the second half of the UMBC game the other night when Hartford blew a 17 point lead and couldn’t hit a shot ( granted UMBC defense had something to do with that).

Ellison obviously was terrific. After the game Gal said they put in 3 new wrinkles for Ellison for this game and have 3 new ones for the next game.

Honestly I thought the unsung heroes of this game were Flowers & Mitchell who D’d up on Healy and rarely gave him solid open looks.

Carter did a great job on Clark as well.

I really think they have something with Stafl. He gives them a nice back to the basket down low player. Looking forward to seeing his development over the years.

Marks was very solid today as well. Love the way at 6’9 how he takes the ball to the hoop.

Gal said after the game they know they are catching Albany while they are nicked up.

Rizzuto played a pretty solid game today. I think he hit 3 3’s.

From the games I have watched Albany this year I’d say the biggest deficiency is down low. The ball often gets stolen when they put it on the floor. It also enables a team like Hartford who plays their guards out past the 3 point line to not have to help down low.

Good luck to Albany in the rematch. I’m sure Brown will come back with an impressive game plan.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had the sound off the first part of the UVM game, so perhaps I missed it. Why are the Cats wearing white with blue numbers tonight?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I had the sound off the first part of the UVM game, so perhaps I missed it. Why are the Cats wearing white with blue numbers tonight?
Believe it's because it's Coaches vs cancer week. Defense was solid for most of the half, but Lutete a is killer keeping UML on life support only down 12 at the break.

·
Premium Member
33,130 Posts
Wonder how many points I’d score against UMass-Lowell(?)

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yikes... Uml has lost the last two by like 800pts.

I don't know... They are pushing the boundaries of how bad can a division 1 team play defense.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Great week for Ryan Davis. Let’s hope this sets him up well for the stretch. He’s a talented kid, and mostly I think it‘s a confidence game for him. Lowell does not really have anything down low, and he took advantage of that. If he can keep it up, it’s a big deal.

Otherwise pretty much everyone did their jobs. Lowell has a few very good offensive players but our defense looked like kryponite for them. And they don’t have enough depth.

It seems to me that Duquette seldom has a functional big guy. Jahad Thomas played way bigger than he is, but they just always seem undersized.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Remember when we all gave Pat Duquette a lot of credit for doing a good job at a new program? Still is fairly new and probably pretty tough but should we now say he's kind of doing a bad job? Not saying he should be let go (they're still overachiving since the jump to D1) but I think it's time to take away that shine that he had before...7 years in and I'm pretty sure your standard high school coach could get a team to commit to better defense than they do.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Remember when we all gave Pat Duquette a lot of credit for doing a good job at a new program? Still is fairly new and probably pretty tough but should we now say he's kind of doing a bad job? Not saying he should be let go (they're still overachiving since the jump to D1) but I think it's time to take away that shine that he had before...7 years in and I'm pretty sure your standard high school coach could get a team to commit to better defense than they do.
Does he have the full compliment of scholarships yet? I think that there were only 11 guys on the roster

·
Realist/A-hole
5,712 Posts
As disappointed as I was in the effort at Maine, I'm equally impressed with the response shown by the team tonight. I was especially excited about the way the starters finished the second half playing hard and never stopping until they were taken out with the game out of reach. That's the mentality they have to have game in and game out if they want to win another championship. Now the true test will happen on Wednesday when they travel to UNH. I look forward to seeing them carry this play forward.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
The 2nd half stretch from about 15:00 to 5:00 left was spectacular, going up 17 points in 10 minutes! It wasn't just the product of deficient UML defense, although that helped, but also lots of hustle, great passing and offensive rebounding. I'm thinking really good thoughts about UVM right now.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Does he have the full compliment of scholarships yet? I think that there were only 11 guys on the roster
Verbal Commits says they have 12 allotted if you count the URI transfer they got mid-semester...but in 4 years he's had 10 guys transfer including two after the first semester this year which would be the answer to the only 11 guys question. Again for what he's done with a new D1 program they're more competitive than most at their current state but the training wheels are off at this point. I think it's fair to question just what the heck Lowell's end game is here and if Duquette has it right for them to take that next step into actual .500 or better play. Doesn't mean fire the guy, but he can't use the "new" excuse. They're a full-fledged eligible D1 basketball team now.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts