Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
well, 3-2 on the night. Congrats to Vermont, UNH and UMBC on their wins. Hartford, on paper, should have been pretty good this year but they just aren't. Are their hearts just not in it this year? And Maine. I really don't know what to say. Barron was showing some nice progress from year 1 to 2 and then last year hit when they only played like 8 games or something. I'm not as down on them as some people, but that was a win they should have had.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I think you have to look at it like American's coach does: They only played 10 games last year and barely practiced before their first game. He looks at this as basically their first season all over again (for everyone he recruited or transferred in last year). Barron might be working through the same challenges. I don't recognize a single name on your roster from two seasons ago. That's a lot of turnover to build around with very little actual practice or game time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Last night was fun to watch and it was nice to watch the game on the actual TV (MASN2). I didn't have any problems with the broadcast.

I didn't catch either weekend game. In previous years I might go back and watch them but I'm still rebuilding up my interest after last year's heartbreak.

American has to be one of the worst D1 teams out there. At least we know we can bully those types of teams.

Keondre Kennedy will be one of the better players in the conference. Ray Salnave had a rough debut against UMass but looks the part of a seasoned, big bodied guard. Rogers doing Rogers things. Our back court is strong and deep. I'm worried about the front court defense. I'm missing Dan Akin. I'm glad Wojcik is showing some flashes but he seems to have lapses as well. Spaz is good for a couple pretty hook shots to open each half and then really shouldn't be on the court after that. He's brutally slow and out of place. Obeng Mensah seems promising.

In their 5th year of college b-ball: Salnave, Rogers, Spaz
In their 4th year of college b-ball: Kennedy, Owens, Boonyasith, Wojcik
Hopefully some of this latter group returns or almost all of the playing time will need to be replaced. But Ferry will have a competitive team in his first year in the AE.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I think you have to look at it like American's coach does: They only played 10 games last year and barely practiced before their first game. He looks at this as basically their first season all over again (for everyone he recruited or transferred in last year). Barron might be working through the same challenges. I don't recognize a single name on your roster from two seasons ago. That's a lot of turnover to build around with very little actual practice or game time.
I completely agree. That has been my view point all along as well. I mean, last year is a wash and you can't count that against Barron. I mean, they barely practiced as a complete unit and played very minimal games. I felt like the team improved quite a bit from his first year to his second year. It's not like you can change their culture over night. That is gonna take some time.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Last night was fun to watch and it was nice to watch the game on the actual TV (MASN2). I didn't have any problems with the broadcast.

I didn't catch either weekend game. In previous years I might go back and watch them but I'm still rebuilding up my interest after last year's heartbreak.

American has to be one of the worst D1 teams out there. At least we know we can bully those types of teams.

Keondre Kennedy will be one of the better players in the conference. Ray Salnave had a rough debut against UMass but looks the part of a seasoned, big bodied guard. Rogers doing Rogers things. Our back court is strong and deep. I'm worried about the front court defense. I'm missing Dan Akin. I'm glad Wojcik is showing some flashes but he seems to have lapses as well. Spaz is good for a couple pretty hook shots to open each half and then really shouldn't be on the court after that. He's brutally slow and out of place. Obeng Mensah seems promising.

In their 5th year of college b-ball: Salnave, Rogers, Spaz
In their 4th year of college b-ball: Kennedy, Owens, Boonyasith, Wojcik
Hopefully some of this latter group returns or almost all of the playing time will need to be replaced. But Ferry will have a competitive team in his first year in the AE.
Salnave and Byrd are probably two of the most important rotation players we have. If they start playing like they did at this level previously, that gives us a really strong guard rotation where there’s very little drop off.

Then we are really running the three headed monster at center as the only place where there’s issues.

The fact that Dan is having a career season through five games doesn’t help me miss him any less.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I completely agree. That has been my view point all along as well. I mean, last year is a wash and you can't count that against Barron. I mean, they barely practiced as a complete unit and played very minimal games. I felt like the team improved quite a bit from his first year to his second year. It's not like you can change their culture over night. That is gonna take some time.
I think Maine stunk three years ago, two years ago, last year, and this year.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I think Maine stunk three years ago, two years ago, last year, and this year.
Pretty sure I said they improved from one year to the next, not that they were good. After all, it had been close to a decade since we could have said they are showing signs of improving.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
From what I've seen of Maine this season, the on-court communication between the players has been bad and there are a lot of bad passes and lost balls resulting. It's not surprising to have people from different parts of the world not being on the same wavelength, and I expect it will get better as the season progresses.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Pretty sure I said they improved from one year to the next, not that they were good. After all, it had been close to a decade since we could have said they are showing signs of improving.
I don't think they did. But not an important distinction.

I do want to note that I am not calling for Barron to be fired. He's doing as well as any coach could in this job. I don't see any coach with any kind of career aspirations taking this job, it's a career killer.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
I don't think they did. But not an important distinction.

I do want to note that I am not calling for Barron to be fired. He's doing as well as any coach could in this job. I don't see any coach with any kind of career aspirations taking this job, it's a career killer.
It's also a career builder for the right person.....would obviously have to be a younger coach and it would be like catching lightning in a bottle. Maine's AD will have to decide what he wants to do with this program before the new facility opens.....it might be the best chance of attracting a semi-decent pool of coaching candidates. And I will say that I don't dislike Barron. I actually think that he is a pretty good coach. I also don't think that he is the best communicator with his players and has a short fuse. He would do well with more talent and an assistant that had good relationships with the players and acted as a firewall to his combustion.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts