Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
UMBC fan
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UMBC @ Marquette 8PM ESPN3
Wagner @ Albany 7PM

Hopefully UMBC can run with them for a little bit, as one of Marquette's best players is out tonight.

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
I'm liking 1-1 tonight, though Wagner has some talent but is not winning games yet this season.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
UAlbany looking very impressive in the first half. Hooley in particular. Kid has nice court vision. There's a link on First Row sports for those interested.

·
UMBC fan
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
19-13 Marquette with 11 mins to go. Plummer, Cook, and Neller are the only ones who can get any sort of good look so far.

·
UMBC fan
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UMBC has been on the bad end of a couple absurd charge calls (okay not absurd...just they weren't charges haha), but it's 22-20 at the under 4 TO.

·
UMBC fan
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
28-24 Marquette at the half.

UMBC has played some great defense, but Marquette hasn't looked great, honestly.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,761 Posts
Albany holds on for a 2 point win. Wagner is a pretty good team, but after building a 15pt lead it shouldn't have gotten that close.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I just watched the game on Time Warner Sports. That ending must have been pretty exciting for the Albany fan in attendance. Sparse crowd.

·
UMBC fan
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marquette pulls ahead 47-33....they can't miss right now.

UMBC hasn't gotten a good luck in the past four minutes, it seems.

·
UMBC fan
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Game is pretty much unwatchable now, as UMBC trails 56-36 with 8 mins to go....

Good effort for 24 minutes, but these last eight have been brutal.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Last years Danes lose this one... This is a really good win... Had a hard time dealing with the press at the end of the game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I just watched the game on Time Warner Sports. That ending must have been pretty exciting for the Albany fan in attendance. Sparse crowd. - SaltySW
Attendance 2,225 would have filled SBU's HS facility twice.

When you can seat close to 5,000 2,000 does look sparse.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Last years Danes lose this one... This is a really good win... Had a hard time dealing with the press at the end of the game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using VerticalSports.Com App
Don't want to speak to early but I like the way the Danes look. Looking at their schedule, and of course I know the games are won on the court, but they could very well be 12-2 and looks like it could likely be an 11-3 or atleast 10-4 coming out of the non conference schedule which would be great for conference RPI! There is no one left that they play that isn't beatable and there are several sure wins in there.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
I was up at 4am rewatching this game on a count of a very painful right ear infection...couldn't sleep. Hooley will be the next great UA goard!

·
Registered
14 Posts
This team has the potential to be a respectable contender, especially in the America East Conference, but the real issues are not being addressed. As a matter of fact, EVERYONE seems to be pretending that the issues don't exist.
1. Brett Roseboro was supposed to be a dominant, game changer and he has done absolutely nothing. He has no offensive arsenal to speak of or a willingness to rebound or defend. They do better when he is not on the floor. He has been a huge disappointment.
2. Brian Neller is absolutely awful. He is not a streak shooter. Streak shooters go on streaks EACH GAME where they hit multiple shots in a row. This guy hits a shot every once in a while. Given the fact that he plays no defense and actually has moved out of people's way a few times, I can't understand how or why Thomas starts him and plays him 30+ minutes, to boot. He couldn't guard the mascot! Neller should be playing 5-10 minutes /game , if that.
3. Aki Thomas has some good ideas and game plans. UMBC comes out looking good in every game. He does his homework and comes prepared. Unfortunately, thats only one part of coaching, arguably the easiest. The problem is, the opposing coaches make adjustments to counter what Thomas is doing and he never adjusts from there. He just keeps trying to have success with what was working in the beginning. All good/great coaches know when and how to make adjustments. Thomas will be a good coach one day, when he learns to counter and adjust to the situations.
4. The rotation is suspect! It looks like an open and shut case of "buddy ball" from here. I'm sure Thomas has built close relationships with most of the returning players, being the assistant for the last 5 years. Now he feels obligated to start them and play them heavy minutes in a featured role. Why else would Neller be playing 30+ minutes, when he would not touch the court AT ALL on most teams in america. With regards to the Freshman, they are being mismanaged IMHO. Morgan is talented and confident but he's a dog off the leash and he plays nearly the ENTIRE GAME, no matter what he does or doesn't do. He is going to burn out before conference play. Joey Getz should be getting much more minutes, as he did a wonderful job last year in the absence of Dela Rosa. Malik Garner is being totally wasted. The kid has not been aggressive on the offensive end or looked for his shot but defensively, he has been impressive. He's everywhere on defense and he rebounds well, especially considering that Thomas is playing him at the 4 position, when he is a 2 or 3. I don't see how any sane coach can afford to have Garner sitting on the bench behind so many kids that can't play. They score 8-10 points and give up 16-20 points. I'd rather have someone score 6-10 points and give up 0-2 points per game. Garner would be much more effective at the 3.
5. The "Anti-Randy" movement. People can try to blame the horrible seasons 100% on Randy Monroe but its just not accurate. The players play the games. If John Calipari was coaching UMBC last year, the record would still have been awful. Its about having pieces and knowing how to use them. I think this would have been a turn around year for Randy and UMBC. Randy coaching along with Thomas' input, implementing some of the new stuff he's trying, would have paid dividends.
6. Where is the rest of the team? Where are the Bigs? Where is Will Wise and the 6'9 Sophomore? Will Wise did not blow us away last year but he did better than anything Roseboro has done. With Roseboro playing like he's 5'10 instead of 6'10, I don't understand why Thomas plays with a lineup of 3 guards. Morgan, Neller, Cook. Its sad when your shooting guard is your leading rebounder.
7.* Defense wins games. Offense keeps you in games. Thomas has promised more defensive team this year, however, it seems the kids the play the most minutes, play the least defense. The opposing teams get wide open jumper after wide open jumper after wide open layup. Out of the starting five, who has a defensive presence? Morgan? Neller? Cook? Plummer? Roseboro? ...NOPE. If they want defense you have to start and/or give 25-30 minutes to players that are willing and able to defend. ...Satchell, Garner, Getz
8. No one expected UMBC to beat Marquette, but it's another example of a winable game. Dear Coach Thomas.... You are playing guys too much and they are burning out in the FIRST HALF! Look at every game!! First Half=Good, Second Half=HORRIBLE. It doesn't take a rocket scientist...
9. Best Chance of winning... Starters: Morgan, Cook, Garner, Satchell, Plummer. Rotation: Getz, Cook, Garner, Plummer, Roseboro. 2nd Rotation: Getz, Morgan, Neller, Satchell, Roseboro

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
This team has the potential to be a respectable contender, especially in the America East Conference, but the real issues are not being addressed. As a matter of fact, EVERYONE seems to be pretending that the issues don't exist.
1. Brett Roseboro was supposed to be a dominant, game changer and he has done absolutely nothing. He has no offensive arsenal to speak of or a willingness to rebound or defend. They do better when he is not on the floor. He has been a huge disappointment.
2. Brian Neller is absolutely awful. He is not a streak shooter. Streak shooters go on streaks EACH GAME where they hit multiple shots in a row. This guy hits a shot every once in a while. Given the fact that he plays no defense and actually has moved out of people's way a few times, I can't understand how or why Thomas starts him and plays him 30+ minutes, to boot. He couldn't guard the mascot! Neller should be playing 5-10 minutes /game , if that.
Roseboro's basketball career has been in decline since he graduated HS. It's pretty unreasonable to expect he'd be a "dominant, game-changer" given his track record. That being said, it is reasonable to expect he'd be productive and help UMBC, as he's much better than who they had last year as a big man (Nobody). This is also the first time in his college career he's ever really played enough minutes to produce. I bet he gets better as season progresses and will help UMBC- especially in conference play.

Agree with your assessment on Neller. Looks like a D2 player every time I've seen him.

On a positive note, Ryan Cook has been fantastic for UMBC. Can't believe that kid was ever a walk-on.

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
An All-Former Walk-On AE Team would look pretty good:

G Ryan Cook
G Jacob Iati
G Jimmy Gray
F Clancy Rugg

Must be missing some others....pretty thin line these days between walk-on & AE impact player :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agree 100% on Cook. He is a player. Roseboro though.... I'm not willing to say that he's better than what they had last year because he's giving them NOTHING this year so far. Nothing!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts