Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the men's tournament, Vermont will host MAAC champion Manhattan on Wednesday in an Opening Round game. If they win, they'll travel to #1 Maryland for the second-straight year.

In the women's tournament, Vermont plays Big East champion Denver on Friday down at Boston College. The winner gets the #3 Eagles on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Stony Brook earned the #8 seed and hosts a First Round game against future CAA rival Drexel on Friday. If they win, they host the winner of Rutgers/St. Joe's on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
34,219 Posts
We're a lacrosse school now. Deal with it.

But, UVM has always been a lacrosse school, if you know what I mean. And if you know lacrosse kids, you do. Now just actually have good teams.

Reactions: MileHiCat

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes, Vermont is a lacrosse school, but I thought yesterday's crowd was light considering it was an NCAA game, not to mention the first ever.
Its embarrassing how few students attend. I guess its hard to get people to games on the first super nice day of the year? I went to the first round of AE tourney and it was kinda sad there was no support from students.

Coach Feifs has built a very solid program.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its embarrassing how few students attend. I guess its hard to get people to games on the first super nice day of the year? I went to the first round of AE tourney and it was kinda sad there was no support from students.

Coach Feifs has built a very solid program.
Valid point. I think it's finals week for students. On a sunny day maybe they're spending time at the beach or at the waterfront.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Correct, it is currently finals/exams week (last week and this week). The game fell on a reading day, and I'm sure there were lots of other things students wanted to do than catch a lacrosse game. Also, most lacrosse games are played on Saturdays...on days that also are not very nice out as Vermont doesn't have real spring. So, I get the turnout being bad since sitting in a wind trap like Virtue is not many's idea of a fun afternoon.

Couple that with UVM athletics has never marketed well to students, the department has a pretty, pretty bad PR rep right now with the student body as a whole...and if we're being honest UVM just is not a campus where a huge swath of students are going to show out for any athletic event consistently in large scale numbers outside of hockey if they're competitive enough (and even that I don't think will return to previous highs). Not to beat a dead horse, but it's not a priority for the average student, don't see that changing.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The UVM men found out why Maryland is #1 in the country, falling 21-5. I don't know enough about the lax selection process to get a handle on how much better UVM would've had to be this year to move away from a #1 match-up and maybe get #3 Penn or #4 Yale (both of whom eked out close wins yesterday). Because as much as they ran through AE play fairly easily, they went 3-6 in the non-con schedule...3 of those losses were by 1 goal, 2 more were by 2 goals. That's brutally unfortunate to basically go 1-5 in close games this year (the 1 win being the AE Title game). How many did they need to flip, because I do think this team is better than a 16-goal ass-kicking by a team that's on a level the Cats can't find with a telescope.

On the women's side, Stony Brook held off Rutgers 11-7. They travel travel Thursday to #1 UNC who is fresh off thrashing Virginia...the #15 team in the country...24-2. So yeah, good luck with that Seawolves!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, Maryland is on a different level. But they seem to be on an entirely different level than every team in the tournament. They're undefeated. The Catamount faceoff man, who's usually great, didn't have it today and that didn't help matters, to put it mildly. Maryland/UVA is a Final Four matchup that's being played in the quarters. Congrats to the Cats on a great season. If they didn't lose to Dartmouth and Utah, both very winnable games, maybe they jump a seed. Brown was another one goal game but seemed less winnable. UMass was also close but less winnable. Don't know what went down with Providence. Anyway, I'd like to see where the program goes.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes, Maryland is on a different level. But they seem to be on an entirely different level than every team in the tournament. They're undefeated. The Catamount faceoff man, who's usually great, didn't have it today and that didn't help matters, to put it mildly. Maryland/UVA is a Final Four matchup that's being played in the quarters. Congrats to the Cats on a great season. If they didn't lose to Dartmouth and Utah, both very winnable games, maybe they jump a seed. Brown was another one goal game but seemed less winnable. UMass was also close but less winnable. Don't know what went down with Providence. Anyway, I'd like to see where the program goes.
Yup, they ran into what a lot of folks think is one of the best teams in NCAA history.

Also, the difference was we didn't have any offensive players that could break down the defense. Oh well. Feifs put together an amazing team and hopefully he keeps it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts