Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I don't follow America East men's soccer very closely seeing as UMaine doesn't sponsor it, but I have a question. When and how did UNH get so good?!?!

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I don't follow America East men's soccer very closely seeing as UMaine doesn't sponsor it, but I have a question. When and how did UNH get so good?!?!
Well, there are actually high level D-I soccer players to recruit in the northeast, unlike football. So it's a bit easier to find good, local players.

Also, they have a fair number of international players, which is basically down to the time and money you are willing to spend scouting/recruiting those guys.

Basically, any school in the country could wake up tomorrow and say "you know what, let's throw a bit of money at men's soccer and put together a really good program" and do it. Women's soccer isn't exactly the same- the big football schools need to throw Title IX money at their women's programs.

Maine cutting soccer (a Blake James special!) was really stupid and shortsighted.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
Well, there are actually high level D-I soccer players to recruit in the northeast, unlike football. So it's a bit easier to find good, local players.

Also, they have a fair number of international players, which is basically down to the time and money you are willing to spend scouting/recruiting those guys.

Basically, any school in the country could wake up tomorrow and say "you know what, let's throw a bit of money at men's soccer and put together a really good program" and do it. Women's soccer isn't exactly the same- the big football schools need to throw Title IX money at their women's programs.

Maine cutting soccer (a Blake James special!) was really stupid and shortsighted.
I would hope that the current administration would at least consider re-instating men's soccer....especially with a new soccer facility coming down the pike.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I would hope that the current administration would at least consider re-instating men's soccer....especially with a new soccer facility coming down the pike.
I realize Maine football and baseball aren't going anywhere. But if you were to start UMaine athletics today with a white sheet of paper, you'd probably have lacrosse and soccer instead of baseball and football.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
I realize Maine football and baseball aren't going anywhere. But if you were to start UMaine athletics today with a white sheet of paper, you'd probably have lacrosse and soccer instead of baseball and football.
Absolutely! Hoops, soccer, lacrosse and ice hockey.....those should be the big 4 men's sports at Maine. They would probably have a shot at being in the Top 20 in 3 of those on a fairly consistent basis. I do admit that I would miss football though.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts