Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
416 Posts
This is the reason the AE will be a 16 seed for the foreseeable future. The AE thinks they are IVY material, and athletic success- wise they are 100 accurate!!!! :)

·
Registered
5,304 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats to UVM junior Luke Apfeld and Albany grad student Jacob Iati, who were named to the Capital One Academic All-District I Men's Basketball Team, selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).

The 2012‐13 Capital One Academic All‐District Men’s Basketball Teams, selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America, have been released to recognize the nation’s top student-athletes for their combined performances athletically and in the classroom. … The Academic All-District teams … are divided into eight geographic districts across the United States and Canada.
NCAA DIVISION I (CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, RI, VT) FIRST TEAM
Name School Yr. Hometown GPA Major
Luke Apfeld VERMONT Jr. Chattanooga, Tenn. 3.82 English
Eitan Chemerinski CORNELL Sr. Potomac, Md. 3.86 Applied economics & management
Jacob Iati ALBANY Gr. York, Pa. 3.52 Masters in business administration
Isaac Sosa CANISIUS Sr. Guaynabo, Puerto Rico 3.48 Finance
Matthew Sullivan BROWN Sr. Wilmette, Ill. 4.00 Economics

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Congrats to UVM junior Luke Apfeld and Albany grad student Jacob Iati, who were named to the Capital One Academic All-District I Men's Basketball Team, selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).

Luke Apfeld VERMONT Jr. Chattanooga, Tenn. 3.82 English
Eitan Chemerinski CORNELL Sr. Potomac, Md. 3.86 Applied economics & management
Jacob Iati ALBANY Gr. York, Pa. 3.52 Masters in business administration
Isaac Sosa CANISIUS Sr. Guaynabo, Puerto Rico 3.48 Finance
Matthew Sullivan BROWN Sr. Wilmette, Ill. 4.00 Economics
Very cool, great honor.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apfeld Named to Division I-AAA Scholar-Athlete Team
CLEVELAND – The University of Vermont's Luke Apfeld, a member of the men's basketball team, has been named to the Division I-AAA Athletics Directors Association Scholar-Athlete Team for the second straight year. The team was announced today by the Division I-AA Athletics Directors Association (ADA).

Apfeld, a 2013 Capital One Academic All-District I First Team selection, earned a spot on the America East All-Academic Team for the second straight season this year. He finished the season ranked second on the team, and 19th in the league, in scoring (10.7 ppg), despite missing several games with an injury during the conference slate. He ranked second in the conference, and was 42nd nationally, in free throw percentage (85.4%). Apfeld also added 4.4 rebounds per game and shot 42.6 percent from the field and 37.3 percent from beyond the arc on the year.

Apfeld, a double major in English and sociology at Vermont, owns a 3.8 GPA. He helped UVM post its fifth straight 20-win season and 10th in the last 12 years with a 21-12 mark during the 2012-13 season. Vermont advanced to the America East Championship game for the eighth time in 12 years and the Catamounts earned their fifth straight postseason appearance after being selected to the 2013 College Basketball Invitational (CBI).

Student-athletes from all Division I-AAA ADA member institutions are eligible for the prestigious award. Each of the nominees had a minimum grade point average of 3.20 in undergraduate study and was a starter or important reserve. Nominated student-athletes must have participated in at least 50 percent of the team's games.
Apparently Division-IAAA = the 101 Division I institutions that do not sponsor football

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apfeld Named America East Men's Basketball Scholar-Athlete
Vermont's Luke Apfeld has been named the America East Men's Basketball Scholar-Athlete for the 2012-13 season. The league office announced its six winter sport winners today.

Apfeld is a double major in English and sociology at UVM and carries a 3.82 GPA. He was named to the CoSIDA/Capital One Academic All-District First Team this year and also earned a spot on the Division I-AAA Athletics Directors Association Scholar-Athlete team for the second straight season. Apfeld was also selected to the America East All-Academic Team for a second consecutive season in 2012-13.
The scholar-athletes were members of teams in the six championship sports that America East sponsored in the winter: men's and women's basketball, men's and women's indoor track and field, and men's and women's swimming and diving.

A committee of athletic administrators and NCAA Faculty Athletics Representatives chose an honoree in each of the six winter championships sports. Each America East Scholar-Athlete was a starter or prominent reserve and carries a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.30. Each honoree is automatically eligible for the America East Male and Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year award to be announced later this summer.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Good point. Derrick Rose apparently has little interest in coming back after one ACL tear. His muscle memory has atrophied so he plans to sit out this entire year even though his team desperately needs him. Still struggling with that one.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hooley, Apfeld Named Academic All-District Choices
02/01/2014
Two of America East's top men's basketball players have been honored for their combination of athletic prowess and academic achievement. University at Albany's Peter Hooley and University of Vermont's Luke Apfeld were named to the Capital One NCAA Division I Academic All-District I First Team as chosen by CoSIDA this week. The duo is now eligible for Academic All-America status.
Luke Apfeld VERMONT Gr. Chattanooga, Tenn. 3.83 English / sociology
Gilvydas Biruta RHODE ISLAND Jr. Jonava, Lithuania 3.48 Public relations
Connor Boehm DARTMOUTH So. Winnetka, Ill. 3.60 Undeclared
Peter Hooley ALBANY Jr. Adelaide, Australia 3.50 Journalism / psychology
Rafael Maia BROWN Jr. Sao Paulo, Brazil 3.71 Business
Matt Townsend YALE Jr. Chappaqua, N.Y. 4.00 Molecular / cellular biol

http://www.cosida.com/documents/201...SID=59733&SPID=6548&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=14000

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Six Elite Student-Athletes Tabbed Winter Scholar-Athletes 4/23/2014
AMBRIDGE, Mass. – Six standouts from America East winter sports who excelled both academically and athletically have earned the recognition of 2013-14 Winter Scholar-Athletes as announced by the conference office. Vermont’s Luke Apfeld (co-men’s basketball), Stony Brook’s Olivia Burne (women’s indoor track & field), Albany’s John DeLallo (men’s indoor track & field), New Hampshire’s Lauren McCandless (women’s swimming & diving) are all repeated Scholar-Athletes, while Maine’s Liz Wood (women’s basketball) and Albany’s Peter Hooley (co-men’s basketball) each garnered the recognition for the first time in their first eligible seasons. Three of the six student-athletes helped lead their squads to 2013-14 America East championship titles.

2013-14 Winter America East Scholar-Athletes

Luke Apfeld, Gr./Sr., Vermont – Co-Men’s Basketball
  • Graduated in May 2013 with a dual degree in English and Sociology posting a 3.83 GPA as an undergrad, and has recently earned a 3.78 graduate GPA in Educational Leadership & Public Policy.
  • Nominee for 2014 Allstate NABC Good Works Team and a repeat America East Scholar-Athlete choice.
  • 2013 Capital One Academic All-District I First Team and a two-time Division I-AAA Athletic Directors Association Scholar-Athlete Team.
  • Two-time team captain named to the America East All-Academic Team three times and he NABC Honors Court twice.
  • Reached the 1,000-point milestone this season enroute to helping the Catamounts win the regular-season title.

Peter Hooley, So., Albany – Co-Men’s Basketball
  • Has accrued a 3.51 GPA in Journalism and Psychology.
  • Capital One NCAA Division I Academic All-District First Team honoree.
  • Co-captain earned a spot on the America East All-Academic Team.
  • Slated to the America East All-Conference Second Team and All-Tournament Team.
  • Garnered America East Championship Most Outstanding Player recognition, the first sophomore to do so since 1999.

Liz Wood, So., Maine – Women’s Basketball

• Tallied a 3.93 GPA in Biology with a Pre-med concentration in the honors college to go along with a minor in chemistry.
  • Named to America East’s All-Academic team this season.
  • Earned a spot on Americca East’s Commissioner’s Honor Roll in her first semester of eligibility.
  • Selected to the All-America East Second-Team and All-Defensive Team

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Congrats to all.

That's extraordinary grades in masters-level courses while playing hoop. Apfeld is a pretty gifted individual and natural leader, and model of hard work and his story is inspirational- going to miss his presence on the team next year big-time. UVM community was very fortunate to have such an outstanding student-athlete

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Tallied a 3.93 GPA in Biology with a Pre-med concentration in the honors college to go along with a minor in chemistry.
Jeesh Liz, that A-minus you got in something is really disappointing.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UVM Athletics Release: Apfeld Announced as Nominee for America East Man of the Year Honor
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Vermont's Luke Apfeld, a member of the men's basketball team, is one of nine nominees for the inaugural America East Man of the Year award. The league office made the announcement on Wednesday. Apfeld has been chosen as the senior male student-athlete on the UVM campus that best exemplified a commitment to service, leadership, athletics and academics during their collegiate career.

Apfeld was most recently named the America East Men's Basketball Scholar-Athlete for the second straight year. He also won the Semans Trophy, which is awarded to a UVM senior who has demonstrated a high level of athletic achievement and earned the respect and regard of their fellow students for leadership, loyalty and service to the university, at the athletic department's year-end celebration, the Rally Awards, on Tuesday night.

Apfeld is a two-time team captain and reached the 1,000-point milestone in UVM's win over Stony Brook, leading Vermont to its sixth America East Regular Season Championship. He finished his career with 1,048 points, which ranks 27th among the all-time scorers at Vermont.

He is a two-time Division I-AAA Athletic Directors Association Scholar-Athlete Team selection and was named to the 2013 Capital One Academic All-District I First Team. Apfeld was also named to the America East Men's Basketball All-Academic Team three straight years.

A nominee for the 2014 Allstate NABC Good Works Team, Apfeld graduated in May of 2013 with a dual degree in English and sociology, posting a 3.83 GPA as an undergraduate. He currently carries a 3.78 GPA as a graduate student and is pursing a degree in educational leadership and public policy.
AE Release: 2014 Man of the Year Nominees Announced
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Nine institutional nominees for the inaugural America East Man of the Year award have been announced by the conference office. University at Albany's Cody Futia (lacrosse), Binghamton University's Ben Nicholson (Soccer), University of Hartford's Anthony Santaga (Soccer), University of Maine's (Kelton Cullenberg), UMBC's Pete Caringi III (Soccer), UMass Lowell's Keith Lewis (Track & Field), University of New Hampshire's Jeff Turner (Soccer), Stony Brook University's Brandon McNitt (baseball) and University of Vermont's Luke Apfeld (basketball) have been chosen as the senior male student-athletes on their respective campuses that best exemplified a commitment to service, leadership, athletics and academics during their collegiate careers.

To be nominated, student-athletes must have completed intercollegiate eligibility in her primary sport by the end of the 2014 spring season or received her undergraduate degree prior to the conclusion of the summer 2014 term and have a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.500 (4.000 scale).

The nominees will be narrowed down to three finalists on Tuesday, May 20 via a release on the conference web site with the America East Man of the Year being announced at the conference’s Annual Meeting in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire on Tuesday, June 3.

This is the first year the conference will hand out the Man of the Year award. The America East has awarded a Woman of the Year since 2006 with the winner moving forward for a chance to be named the NCAA Woman of the Year. Athletic Directors and administrators at the nine America East institutions voted to begin awarding a Man of the Year beginning with the 2013-14 academic year.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AE Release: America East Man of Year Finalists Announced
The America East Conference announced today that University of Maine’s Kelton Cullenberg (cross country/track & field), University of New Hampshire’s Jeff Turner (soccer) and University of Vermont’s Luke Apfeld (basketball) have been named finalists for the 2014 America East Man of the Year award.
The three finalists were selected from a pool of the nine America East institutional nominations, which were announced on May 6. ... The 2014 America East Man of the Year will be announced on Tuesday, June 3.
Kelton Cullenberg, Maine - Cross Country/Track & Field
• Has a 3.92 GPA as a kinesiology/exercise science Major and business administration minor.
• Earned All-America East honors three times this year, placing second individually in the cross country championship and the indoor 5,000 meters and won the
outdoor 5,000 meters.
• Earned Maine’s prestigious M Club Dean Smith Award in 2014.
• Named to Dean’s List and also named a Presidential Scholar for having a perfect 4.0 semester GPA six times.
• Named to America East All-Academic team and Commissioner’s Honor Roll.

Jeff Turner, New Hampshire - Soccer
• Holds a 3.73 GPA in psychology.
• Four-year contributor for UNH’s men’s soccer program.
• Named to America East Commissioner’s Honor Roll three times.
• America East All-Academic selection.
• Volunteered with Big Brother, Big Sister of Greater Seacoast.

Luke Apfeld, Vermont - Basketball
• Has a 3.78 GPA as a graduate student in educational leadership and public policy.
• Graduated in 2013 with a 3.83 GPA as a dual major in English and sociology.
• Two-time team captain who scored 1,048 career points, good for 27th on Vermont’s all-time list.
• America East Men’s Basketball Scholar-Athlete for second-straight year.
• Three-time America East All-Academic choice.
• Received Vermont’s prestigious Semans Trophy in 2014.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts