Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I know Malik Ellison is on that team.
I don't want to sideline this thread, but because we went here: What's he been up to? Did he latch on anywhere this season? Other plans?

Anyway, I actually watched TBT last year, what with the dearth of sports and some recognizable names. Pretty pumped to see the AE guys take up a squad. Get paid, AE!

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I don't want to sideline this thread, but because we went here: What's he been up to? Did he latch on anywhere this season? Other plans?

Anyway, I actually watched TBT last year, what with the dearth of sports and some recognizable names. Pretty pumped to see the AE guys take up a squad. Get paid, AE!
All I really noticed was that he started a basketball training business. Where he did one on one training with I think kids through high school.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Are pros eligible to play in the tournament?
Yeah, you often see a lot of guys come over who play in Europe enter the tourney. In fact, one of the traditionally stronger teams is assembled almost entirely of Americans playing overseas. Joe Johnson (that Joe Johnson) played last year.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Anyone know the names yet? Are pros eligible to play in the tournament?
Yes, they have been for a while. Many former NBA and high level European players are in it. GCG beat me to it, but Joe Johnson, and a lot of other familiar names. It wouldn't shock me is someone like Isiah Thomas (of Celtics fame) plays in it this year.

As for the AE team...they have an uphill battle to field a competitive squad. There's really not a lot of alums that are still playing and at a high level to compete with these other teams. And, TBH might even turn them down...because he's got a guaranteed contract waiting for him in that Canadian summer league. I don't know if the events overlap, but would you risk a week or two of paid wages to go play in a tournament you're not going to win?

They should be on the phone with JJ Barea. 75% of his college experience was in the AE. He's playing in Spain right now. That would get them some attention...but other than that you're looking at maybe TBH if he agrees, Leissner and Jaleen Smith at UNH are in top divisions, Warney, John Holland...Jairus Lyles doesn't seem to be active anywhere right now...then I guess Blakely?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Justin Edwards is still playing pro in Romania. He spent half his career at Maine, the other half at Kansas State. He might be serviceable.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
This AE team did not happen. The TBT starts pretty soon...but some AE notables on rosters:

DJ Rivera (Binghamton/Montevallo) - NG Saints (a Philly HS alumni team)
Pancake Thomas (Hartford/New Mexico) - The Enchantment (New Mexico Alumni)
Justin Edwards (Maine/Kansas State) - Purple & Black (Kansas State Alumni)
EJ Gallup (Albany/Coastal Carolina) - The Money Team
Issac Vann (Maine/VCU) - Bleed Virginia

Lots of former power 5 basketball players, a handful of guys who had quick NBA stints and guys playing pro overseas all mixed in. It's no easy task to make a team for this, let alone a competitive one. Covid still probably did not entirely help as guys were unsure of if they could commit to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts