Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
It looks like all have played at least 9 D1 games...hoping they can get to 12 (safely of course)

all have played 8 or 19 league games

·
Registered
63 Posts
This works for this year. If they did this moving forward, the one flaw is that the two seed wouldn't get a home game (assuming the one seed hosts), if the semis and finals are held at one site.

Make you wonder what the league will consider moving forward. I kind of like the idea of playing the 8/9 and 7/10 games at the site of the one and two seeds, respectively, and forcing the winners to play a back to back.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
This works for this year. If they did this moving forward, the one flaw is that the two seed wouldn't get a home game (assuming the one seed hosts), if the semis and finals are held at one site.

Make you wonder what the league will consider moving forward. I kind of like the idea of playing the 8/9 and 7/10 games at the site of the one and two seeds, respectively, and forcing the winners to play a back to back.
My gut says that if the world is back to being normal-esque in 2022, we will see a reversion back to the previous AE postseason format of all games at higher seeds, and I'd lean toward them bumping the bottom 2 teams to get to 8, as opposed to adding an additional round to include all 10. No actual info, just a hunch.

But for 2021, this is kinda neat.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I feel bad for the Maine women....no way AE is sending 4 teams to Orono, Maine. My bet is that UMass-Lowell will end up hosting the WBB semis as either the #2 or #3 seed. If Maine wins it all they will definitely have earned it playing most of their games on the road this season.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel bad for the Maine women....no way AE is sending 4 teams to Orono, Maine. My bet is that UMass-Lowell will end up hosting the WBB semis as either the #2 or #3 seed. If Maine wins it all they will definitely have earned it playing most of their games on the road this season.
You're probably right...but the one thing I'd question is the facilities at these schools and the ability to safely host four teams. How are their locker rooms set up? Is there enough space to house 4 teams in sections of the building, making sure there's not overflow with practice time, sanitizing windows, etc. If Lowell continues to use Costello, that could be an issue, just as it would be at Patrick Gym, and Maine's Pit gym. If this sort of conversation was being had when looking to provide bubbles for the NHL playoffs, it has to be a conversation for the AE too.

·
Registered
697 Posts
This seems like a pretty thoughtful solution. Now just hope that a) everyone gets to 12, b) nobody is on a pause at the time the tournament is supposed to be played, and c) nobody tests positive while the thing is in progress. Kind of a tricky needle to thread, but it will be fun if they can pull it off.

·
Super Moderator
6,315 Posts
I think about this more, and I think it's been discussed in the past, I understand they're doing it this way because it's 2020: Part 2, but I really hope they don't go to this format full time. If the 1, 3, and 4 seeds can host, and therefore get ticket revenue, and the 2 seeds don't, it makes no sense.

Unless they go to the single-site tournament, they should stick with the current format, but I do like dunbar's idea of 7/10 at the 2 seed and 8/9 at the 1 seed on Friday night.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
It does kinda suck that they will likely have to travel, but home court advantage is only home court advantage when your fans are actually in the building. I saw an analysis of the NFL season that seemed to indicate that the 3-point "home field advantage" completely evaporated this season.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It does kinda suck that they will likely have to travel, but home court advantage is only home court advantage when your fans are actually in the building. I saw an analysis of the NFL season that seemed to indicate that the 3-point "home field advantage" completely evaporated this season.
There is some comfort in sleeping in your own bed vs. traveling (especially now). Much of the issue is that Maine really doesn't have the facility to host three other teams right now, regardless whatever restrictions are in place.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was listening to an interview with Ryan Odom and he said he actually prefers the road series to the home series with the current back to back format. After the game everyone goes back to the same place, stays focused, they can easily have meetings in a hotel room. Not so simple when everyone scatters to home after Game 1. Very easily can players win Game 1, scatter home, and not bring the intensity/focus they need for Game 2.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I'm sure that Maine will finally open their new modern on campus basketball arena the year that the NCAA implodes and college hoops as we know it goes away. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
There is some comfort in sleeping in your own bed vs. traveling (especially now). Much of the issue is that Maine really doesn't have the facility to host three other teams right now, regardless whatever restrictions are in place.
I think this is much more of the issue. I don't think hosting three other teams at once would be something that the powers that be in either Augusta or Orono would be open to.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I think about this more, and I think it's been discussed in the past, I understand they're doing it this way because it's 2020: Part 2, but I really hope they don't go to this format full time. If the 1, 3, and 4 seeds can host, and therefore get ticket revenue, and the 2 seeds don't, it makes no sense.

Unless they go to the single-site tournament, they should stick with the current format, but I do like dunbar's idea of 7/10 at the 2 seed and 8/9 at the 1 seed on Friday night.
It feels like it's 2020...

·
Registered
579 Posts
We are seeing this year how much continuity matters in college BB. Teams come back from long layoffs looking VERY sluggish. (MSU vs Rutgers this week as Exhibit A). Having some flow going into conference tourneys will be critical.

It is also interesting how many traditional powers (from true Blue Blood teams like Kentucky, MSU and Duke to low majors like UVM) are struggling this year.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
We are seeing this year how much continuity matters in college BB. Teams come back from long layoffs looking VERY sluggish. (MSU vs Rutgers this week as Exhibit A). Having some flow going into conference tourneys will be critical.

It is also interesting how many traditional powers (from true Blue Blood teams like Kentucky, MSU and Duke to low majors like UVM) are struggling this year.
Kentucky wishes they had UVM's struggles.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hoping everyone is able to qualify for it / be healthy when March comes around.

So do I understand this whole pod business correctly? (assuming all 10 teams are good to go, ignoring any moving seedlines due to geography, although as I saw others point out I'd expect the AE to likely come up with a NY/ Mid Atlantic pod and a NE pod if things break right).

Would it be - 3 v. 10, 6 v. 7 at 1 pod, 4 v.9 and 5 v 8 at the other with the winners for example playing 3 v 6, 4 v 5 then moving into the semis? Seems like such a scenario would be a tough draw with the 3 and 4 seeds playing an extra round as opposed to most years, but perhaps the extra games will do them some good (and as everyone has noted anything can happen in the AE this year on any given gameday).

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Hoping everyone is able to qualify for it / be healthy when March comes around.

So do I understand this whole pod business correctly? (assuming all 10 teams are good to go, ignoring any moving seedlines due to geography, although as I saw others point out I'd expect the AE to likely come up with a NY/ Mid Atlantic pod and a NE pod if things break right).

Would it be - 3 v. 10, 6 v. 7 at 1 pod, 4 v.9 and 5 v 8 at the other with the winners for example playing 3 v 6, 4 v 5 then moving into the semis? Seems like such a scenario would be a tough draw with the 3 and 4 seeds playing an extra round as opposed to most years, but perhaps the extra games will do them some good (and as everyone has noted anything can happen in the AE this year on any given gameday).
From reading the way the AE rolled it out, I believe you have it correct. On paper, they start with two pods: 3/10 & 6/7 at one, 4/9 & 5/8 at the other. But then they reserve the right to move teams no more than 1 seed position to make things more logistically amenable...i.e. if you had 3 NYish teams and #9 Maine in one group, and 3 NE teams and #10 Binghamton in the other, they'd very likely just switch Maine and Binghamton in the 9/10 spots.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts