Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Realist/A-hole
5,977 Posts
Congratulations to Hartford, UNH, NJIT, and Binghamton on clinching AE playoff berths.

Edit: Misread that and was thinking 12 AE games. I guess only UVM, UA, and Maine still have work to do.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Has anyone else on here heard about the internal memo that tourney games cannot be more than 300 miles from Piscataway, NJ? That would eliminate UNH, Vermont and Maine as hosting any games.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I haven't seen that anywhere as of yet, but I haven't really looked. 300 miles is an interesting number. A quick glance at mapquest shows Piscataway to Durham, NH to be 312 miles while it's 324 from Piscataway to Burlington, both just barely beyond the distance.

And why Piscataway? What on earth does that hellhole have to do with anything America East?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I haven't seen that anywhere as of yet, but I haven't really looked. 300 miles is an interesting number. A quick glance at mapquest shows Piscataway to Durham, NH to be 312 miles while it's 324 from Piscataway to Burlington, both just barely beyond the distance.

And why Piscataway? What on earth does that hellhole have to do with anything America East?
That seems like a really random location. It can't possibly be the weighted-average geographic center of the conference either as UMBC appears to be the only school south of Piscataway and Binghamton the only school located to the west. The logical place for a tournament would be somewhere on the 91 corridor between New Haven and Springfield, MA.

The other interesting tidbit is that Burlington and Durham are both just under 300 miles from Newark/NJIT's campus. Almost as if Piscataway has been cherry-picked to ensure UVM and UNH were excluded from selection process (so then why not go with 250 miles in that case?).

·
Premium Member
33,443 Posts
The gyms are empty so that aspect provides no advantage, and if these kids/coaches are anything like most of the rest of us in the northeast that have been following guidelines/trapped in a perpetual ground hog day existence, I'm sure they are starved to get on the road for a change of scenery.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,977 Posts
I'm sure that Maine will finally open their new modern on campus basketball arena the year that the NCAA implodes and college hoops as we know it goes away. :rolleyes:
This was funnier 11 days ago.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Slight bump to this thread. According to Jeff Goodman on Twitter, the AE is supposedly going to move forward with the semis and finals being held at Stony Brook, which I imagine makes sense from a geographical perspective.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Slight bump to this thread. According to Jeff Goodman on Twitter, the AE is supposedly going to move forward with the semis and finals being held at Stony Brook, which I imagine makes sense from a geographical perspective.
This is a prudent move. Stony Brook has a nice venue that I'm sure can appropriately accommodate 4 teams at a single site while accounting for any additional Covid-mitigation measures. Add in the geographic element you mentioned, and also giving everyone involved in championship-planning a fixed target with more time to prepare for, and this makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
See you next season.....

Well that sucks but isn't completely unexpected. I mean, they have played 9 games in 2 1/2 months (a football team would have already played more games in that sort of time frame). The constant starting/stopping is rough but they have now not done anything for at least a month if not more and they basically would need another preseason to get back at it.

Vermont seems to end Maine's season on the court every year, usually it is by scoring more points on the court but this time it was with covid. I kid, I kid (sort of).

Anyway, best of luck to the remaining teams on the rest of your seasons!

·
Super Moderator
6,319 Posts
Looks like things have changed.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Looks like things have changed.

They clearly read my post implying how being the 1-seed wasn't as incentivized as usual, and re-incentivized being the 1-seed. :)

I don't remember what the dates were for the previous format, but certainly spreading it out over 3 weekends to give time for testing/isolating if necessary feels wise.

Also, apparently UVM is never playing Hartford ever again. Ever.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sorry, Hartford. We managed to duck you for a third time.

I have mixed feelings. I was looking forward to the extra games over the next couple weeks. But by limiting the travel and interaction, you at least increase the probability that all of the teams make it to the starting line.

So unless I’m missing something, it seems like UMBC and UVM are going to be the top two regardless. Based on normal tie breaks, I think we’d need to sweep the two games to be first. To be honest, locking up a top two seed without having yet won a single game against the teams in first, third and fourth seems a bit odd but I guess it is what it is.

Some combination of Hartford, UNH, UML and Albany would be the two hosts next week. Also, it’s possible for Albany to end up with the third highest winning percentage if they sweep and UNH loses.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,977 Posts
I'd be pissed if I was UNH and Hartford. What a joke. This whole season is completely meaningless at this point. Should have just skipped the season entirely and drawn straws to see who got to go to the tournament.

Reactions: VCat_2015

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I'd be pissed if I was UNH and Hartford. What a joke. This whole season is completely meaningless at this point. Should have just skipped the season entirely and drawn straws to see who got to go to the tournament.
There is something to be said about whether there should have been a conference tournament at all, unless the check from Hercules Tire is just too big to return.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Also, begin the discussion: UVM and UMBC having 15 days between their last regular season game and a 1-game elimination Semifinal. Good or Bad? Or Neither?

·
Realist/A-hole
5,977 Posts
The whole thing is bad. Competition only holds meaning when the playing field is level. This season was bad enough with the unbalanced home/away schedules, but I could grudgingly understand that due to the circumstances. This change falls under the utter bullshit category. Announce one format which was at least fair if not perfect, then have your testicles shrink up and rewrite the whole thing cause "what happens if a team gets a positive?". Boo hoo. They forfeit, that's what should happen. The self discipline necessary to stay quarantined so you don't have any positives is part of the mental aspect of the competition.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts