Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who wins the AFC North?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Football season upon us, it's time to go division by division to discuss how we see each team and landscape of the NFL this upcoming season.

2011 Record: 12-4, 1st AFC North; Lost in AFC Championship

Head Coach: John Harbaugh; 5th yr

Additions: WR Jacoby Jones, DB Corey Graham, OG Bobbie Williams, DT Maake Kemoeatu, DT Ryan McBean, QB Curtis Painter, LB Stevie Baggs, TE Billy Bajema, S Sean Considine

Losses: OG Ben Grubbs, DT Brandon McKinney, DE Cory Redding, S Tom Zbikowski, CB Chris Carr, Lee Evans

Draft Picks: OLB/DE Courtney Upshaw, T/G Kelechi Osemele, RB Bernard Pierce, G/C Gino Gradkowski, S Christian Thompson, CB Asa Jackson, WR Tommy Streeter, DL DeAngelo Tyson

2011 Record: 12-4, 2nd AFC North; Lost in Wildcard

Head Coach: Mike Tomlin; 6th yr

Additions: TE Leonard Pope

Losses: CB William Gay, Hines Ward retires

Draft Picks: OG David DeCastro, OT Mike Adams, LB Sean Spence, DT Alameda Ta'amu, WR Toney Clemons, TE David Paulson, CB Terrence Frederick, OT Kelvin Beachum

2011 Record: 9-7, 3rd AFC North; Lost in Wildcard

Head Coach: Marvin Lewis; 10th yr

Additions: RB Benjarvis Green-Ellis, CB Terence Newman, OG Jacob Bell (retired), OG Travelle Newman, DE Jamal Anderson, CB Jason Allen

Losses: LB Keith Rivers, DE Frostee Rucker, OG Nate Livings, OG Bobbie Williams, WR Andre Caldwell, OG Mike McGlynn. DT Jon Fanene

Draft Picks: CB Dre Kirkpatrick, OG Kevin Zeitler, DT Devon Still, WR Mohamed Sanu, DT Brandon Thompson, TE Orson Charles, CB Shuan Prater, WR Marvin Jones, S George Illoka, RB Dan Herron

2011 Record: 4-12, 4th, AFC North

Head Coach: Pat Shurmur; 2nd yr

Additions: DE Juqua Parker, DE Frostee Rucker

Losses: RB Peyton Hillis, S Mike Adams, OT Artis Hicks,

Draft Picks: RB Trent Richardson, QB Brandon Weeden, OT Mitchell Schwartz, DT John Huges, WR Travis Benjamin, OG Ryan Miller, OLB Emmanuel Acho, DT Billy Winn, CB Trevin Wade, TE Brad Smelley

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
Once again Diss posts the teams in order I think the teams will finish in. Although Cincy and Pitt could be close.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Ravens and Steelers are a toss-up to me. Leaning Steelers at this point if they don't suffer more key injuries

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The Steelers already have guys missing on defense, and they're breaking in young guys on the offensive line. DeCastro looks like a beast, but Mike Adams has been pretty inconsistent. They have to keep Ben healthy at all costs. Big Ben is already telling the media that he has a shoulder injury. He is really on the toughest QBs out there, but he makes sure everyone knows about it when he so much as breaks a fingernail. Ben and Todd Haley will make for great TV this season. This season could go either be really good or really bad. Mike Wallace is insane and wants paid like Larry Fitzgerald despite the fact that he only tries when he runs 9 routes (a straight line down the field). Apparently he's a threat to miss the start of the season. Ike Taylor overachieved big time last year after being mediocre for most of his career. Isaac Redman is the starting RB...

The Ravens are getting old, but they have more weapons on offense than Pittsburgh does. The defense will be hurting minus Suggs, though.

Bengals are another year older, more experienced with a young team. The unfortunate reality for them is that they play in this division. But they should be better than 0-4 vs. Pittsburgh/Baltimore this year thanks to the issues mentioned above. Honestly, this team could end up anywhere from 1-3 in the division.

Not really sure what to say about Cleveland, but they are probably the favorite to pick #1 next April.

Pains me to say this, but I'm gonna go Ravens/Steelers/Bengals/Browns. The Steelers could be a strong WC, or end up in 3rd. The Ravens won't be themselves without Suggs on D, but they still should be good enough to survive.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ravens getting old has been a myth and it's been said so much over the yrs, you'd think they'd be dinosaurs by now lol. I think everyone just thinks Reed and Lewis. Replaced 2 starters over 30 from last yr and of 24 projected starters (K and P included) currently on roster - 17 of them are 30 or younger.

Yeah, pass rush without Suggs worries me. We need Upshaw to make an immediate impact or Kruger needs to step up or Kindle needs to show something, or anything. There has been pulse in camp/preseason so far. May need to do more exotic blitzes.

I expect Flacco to have his best yr. Rice will be Rice, and WR corps seems deeper than it has been in awhile or ever lol.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yeah, I think Flacco made some big improvements last year. Boldin is one of my favorite players, so it sucked to see Arizona trade him to Baltimore lol

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I think Flacco made some big improvements last year. Boldin is one of my favorite players, so it sucked to see Arizona trade him to Baltimore lol
lol I hear ya. Yeah, stat wise, slight regression but showed more composure not freaking out, better pocket movement, mobility. Thought a play was over throw a dart down field. Stepped up in the playoffs. I do worry about OL somewhat.

Should be a fight with all 3 teams for the division.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jacoby Jones and Torrey Smith should have nice seasons, with Boldin on the decline. Solid WR combo there for Flacco to throw to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts