Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3709101

Sophomore guard Arron Afflalo will hold a news conference at UCLA next week to announce his decision regarding the NBA, his father Ben said. A UCLA spokesman confirmed a news conference, but the date is not set.
The Afflalos met with coach Ben Howland on Wednesday to discuss the future. Arron Afflalo has previously said that he would stay at UCLA for his junior season. Underclassmen have until April 29 to declare themselves eligible for the NBA draft.

Sophomore point guard Jordan Farmar has yet to make a decision on his status for next season.

Afflalo and Farmar guided UCLA on a surprising run to the NCAA title game, in which the Bruins lost to Florida.

- Jill Painter
After his performance in the tournament you can expect him back at UCLA next season. Afflalo and Shipp are going to be a deadly combo. UCLA will have one of the best 1-3's in the nation next season.

· Premium Member
6,650 Posts
I'm sure a consideration for Afflalo will be the Bruins' style of play and if they look to open up the offense with more frequency next year. I know the point has been brought up before about the Bruins' style of play not truly allowing Afflalo's talents to shine. His performance wasn't the greatest in the tournament, but some of that can be attributed to the style of play the Bruins used to win those games. Although, I'm sure Afflalo's final game vs. Florida has left enough of a bitter taste in his mouth for him to want to come back.

We'll see next week.

· That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
The thing is, if he was staying, why would he have a press conference? Why not just tell the local beat writer at the LA Times?

I don't like Howland's offense because it doesn't show their true offensive talent, but Afflalo's jumper is still not where I think it should be.

· Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the LA Daily News, UCLA was ready to hold a press conference for Afflalo today, until Arron had second thoughts and the conference was canceled. The press conference will still be held this week, however I think both Afflalo and Farmar will enter their names in the draft.

Of course, they won't hire an agent and will remain enrolled in school, but if they were considering leaving this year or next, it makes sense to talk with scouts and workout for them to see what they need to work on. If they enter I think both will withdraw their names and return for their junior season's at UCLA.

· Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DaBruins said:
I really hope we get at least one of them back since we had the talent/experience to be a top 3 team next year.
Im sure both will be back. The only thing you have to worry about are unreal workouts from either. If Afflalo is getting some consideration in the early 2nd there is a possibility he leaves.

Farmar would have to impress in workouts as well, becuase he should be a late lottery to mid 1st rounder next season.

· Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iverson101 said:
Even if they return, the implications of this are far deeper than meets the eye.
No offense, I do not understand what you mean by this. Do you have some info to share with us about what is going on at UCLA? Or am I just not understnading you correctly?

· That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
TucsonClip said:
No offense, I do not understand what you mean by this. Do you have some info to share with us about what is going on at UCLA? Or am I just not understnading you correctly?
Probably the thought that they don't enjoy playing in Ben Howland's offense, which isn't a shock. Farmar is a lottery pick type of talent at the point guard.

Reactions: bruindre

· Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HKF said:
Probably the thought that they don't enjoy playing in Ben Howland's offense, which isn't a shock. Farmar is a lottery pick type of talent at the point guard.
I can understand not liking his offense, but in Howlands defense, he was quoted as saying he cant run the type of offense he wants, because he doesnt have the right players yet. He said he wants to run a more open and uptempo offense.

Farmar, Shipp, Afflalo, the Prince, Collison, along with the addition of Keefe should be more then enough to open up the offense. So im not really sure what Howland's excuse is, other then his bench.

Farmar should be a lottery pick, but unless he has great workouts (which is a good possibility) he wont be in the lottery. He needs to work on his outside shot and defense.

· That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
I don't believe Howland because he hasn't played an uptempo type of system since 1997-98, when he was coaching at Northern Arizona.

· Registered
4,095 Posts
iverson101 said:
Wow. You have no idea what I'm even talking about, and it's not about anybody liking/disliking Howlands style of offense, yet you decide to be a disrespectful baby right off the bat. Nice.
care to say what those implications are? The Bruins will be an elite team for as long as Ben Howland is here. Even if we lose players early, we will reload, and it all starts with this upcoming recruiting class.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.