Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the pleausure of watching one of the most spectacular end-of-game sequences I could ever conceive of in the Minnesota High School 4A championship. It was Hopkins vs Eastview.

A skinny Hopkins sophomore named Blake Hofarber had hit a 3 from 2 feet behind the NBA line to send the game into one OT, but in the extra session an Eastview big man tipped in a miss with 2.5 seconds left to give his team a two point lead. So Hopkins has to inbound the ball the full length of the floor and hit the shot to stay alive.

They threw the pass, and chaos ensued. It was tipped once, and ended up in the hands of a Hopkins player. He attempted a shot as he was falling to the ground, but it was partially blocked, and the ball squirted off toward the corner. The buzzer sounds, and Eastview players start celebrating. Game over, right? Wrong.

Right after the buzzer goes off, I see the ball swish through the net. My first impression was "strange, but after the buzzer. probably just somebody throwing the ball up after the buzzer went off." But the Hopkins bench was going nuts, and the ref signalled a good shot!

On replay, it becomes obvious that the same Blake Hoffarber who hit the 3 to send the game into OT had been shoved into the corner in the mess that had ensued when the fullcourt pass was thrown. HE IS ON THE FLOOR AT THIS POINT. The ball squirted right to him, and lying on his back, he heaved the ball over his head and in. Swish!

Upon further review, it was decided that he was laying on the three point line, which meant double OT. Eastview didn't stand a chance it OT, after going through what they had just been through. Hopkins wins by 12.

This was the most astonishing late-game situation I have ever witnessed, and just wanted to share it with some people who clearly appreciate March Madness on any level. And keep a heads up for this on sportscenter - it's certainly ESPN worthy!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
how the hell can you make a three from lying on the ground? unbelievable

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Jonathan Watters said:
I had the pleausure of watching one of the most spectacular end-of-game sequences I could ever conceive of in the Minnesota High School 4A championship. It was Hopkins vs Eastview.

A skinny Hopkins sophomore named Blake Hofarber had hit a 3 from 2 feet behind the NBA line to send the game into one OT, but in the extra session an Eastview big man tipped in a miss with 2.5 seconds left to give his team a two point lead. So Hopkins has to inbound the ball the full length of the floor and hit the shot to stay alive.

They threw the pass, and chaos ensued. It was tipped once, and ended up in the hands of a Hopkins player. He attempted a shot as he was falling to the ground, but it was partially blocked, and the ball squirted off toward the corner. The buzzer sounds, and Eastview players start celebrating. Game over, right? Wrong.

Right after the buzzer goes off, I see the ball swish through the net. My first impression was "strange, but after the buzzer. probably just somebody throwing the ball up after the buzzer went off." But the Hopkins bench was going nuts, and the ref signalled a good shot!

On replay, it becomes obvious that the same Blake Hoffarber who hit the 3 to send the game into OT had been shoved into the corner in the mess that had ensued when the fullcourt pass was thrown. HE IS ON THE FLOOR AT THIS POINT. The ball squirted right to him, and lying on his back, he heaved the ball over his head and in. Swish!

Upon further review, it was decided that he was laying on the three point line, which meant double OT. Eastview didn't stand a chance it OT, after going through what they had just been through. Hopkins wins by 12.

This was the most astonishing late-game situation I have ever witnessed, and just wanted to share it with some people who clearly appreciate March Madness on any level. And keep a heads up for this on sportscenter - it's certainly ESPN worthy!
so was it a bad call or was it before the buzzer?

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DaBruins said:
so was it a bad call or was it before the buzzer?
Sorry, I should have mentioned...replays showed the shot went in with 0.1 left on the clock! Anybody see this on ESPN news or sportscenter yet today?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts