Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Golden State is up big in the 4th. We lost.

One step closer to Marvin Williams!

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Fork said:

:banana:
We could get very lucky and someone luck into a top 3 pick, if not trying to trade into the top 2 from #5 shouldn't be THAT hard. :cheers:

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Hows this for ya?

Portland has 13 games left and a 2.5 game lead over Utah, and is 1/2 a game behind Golden State.

Of those 13 games 4 games are against Utah and GS. I don't think Portland can beat GS at this point. GS is playing like a playoff team, but had way too much ground to make up. Utah....I don't know those 2 games will be a huge deal, but with SLoan there they will still be doing whatever it takes to win which IMO beats Portland who is in youth development phase.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Trading up from #4 would be easier then trading up from #5...whatever it takes! This is really only a 2 person draft in my mind. The better pick we get, the easier it'll be to get one of 2 guys.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I think everyone is undervaluing some international prospects. There is always one or two of them that come into predraft camp and awe everyone. I think this draft is deeper in overall tallent then the prior. I think a lot more players could be had. This is a deep draft but without many defined superstar players

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
BlazerFanFoLife said:
I think everyone is undervaluing some international prospects. There is always one or two of them that come into predraft camp and awe everyone. I think this draft is deeper in overall tallent then the prior. I think a lot more players could be had. This is a deep draft but without many defined superstar players
Considering we don't have a true superstar(Zach may be there in a year or 2 and the same could be said for Telfair is he keeps up his game), we need impact, young talent right now. We need a franchise guy to take this team on their back. That is why I said this draft is only 2 deep if Marvin comes out, because a franchise guy is what we need in the worst way.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Did everyone think Kobe would be a Franchise Guy?
Sure they thought he would be good. But still. Greene and other youngsters have just as good of a chance to be franchise as Bogut. Maybe Bogut has reached his ceiling?(i doubt it but still). Will Bogut ever be anything more then a brad miller type? I think that out of this draft there will be a few more jems. They might be rough but if players fear an age limit they will come out now instead of waiting 2 or more years in the minors or college.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
There will always be guys like Kobe and Jermaine who slide too far, but at first glance it is a 2 player draft. I could easily see a guy like Antoine Wright or Raymond Felton being great players in the league, but in our current situation would it be smart to trade down a take a bigger risk on one of these players to be a go to guy? I think it would be easier/safer to go up and try to get AB or MW.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I could easily see a guy like Antoine Wright or Raymond Felton being great players in the league, but in our current situation would it be smart to trade down a take a bigger risk on one of these players to be a go to guy?
No, but we could always trade for another pick......last year we traded Eddie Gill, who played like 2 minutes a game in scrub time for the #22 pick......I'm sure we could give up a little more than that and get a early to mid teens pick and grab up Rudy Fernandez.....

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I think everyone is undervaluing some international prospects.
Especially Rudy Fernandez.....

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I'm sure we could give up a little more than that and get a early to mid teens pick and grab up Rudy Fernandez.....
I think that would be a great idea. A player like Ruben, Damon, or Van Excel could really help a playoff team with the 15th or so pick.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Fork said:

I would think that we could do better, 5th place isn't good enough......Portland needs to be a top three pick and I am sure that this team won't let us down. I think that towards the bitter end of the season we won't see the likes of Damon or Rahim, just the young ones.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
It's just too bad that the year we get in the top five of the lottery there isn't really a definitive super star in the draft. No Dwyane Wades or LeBron James. We just have no manner of luck at all...

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
we dont know who is in the draft yet but I say we need to trade at least one of our players or buy a pick like we did last year, maybe one of denver's first round picks.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
NateBishop3 said:
It's just too bad that the year we get in the top five of the lottery there isn't really a definitive super star in the draft. No Dwyane Wades or LeBron James. We just have no manner of luck at all...
considering no one expected Dwyane Wade to be as good as he is (not even Tlong), I don't know if I'd be too upset.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What do you guys think about F. Garcia from Louisville as a late 1st round guy? His game reminds me of Shane Battier--he can shoot, defend, & he's a leader. While he isn't a "creat my own shot" guy, I'm impressed with his feel for the game. I know he would likely play SF, and we are loaded there already, but this guy can knock it down from deep.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
kaydow said:
What do you guys think about F. Garcia from Louisville as a late 1st round guy? His game reminds me of Shane Battier--he can shoot, defend, & he's a leader. While he isn't a "creat my own shot" guy, I'm impressed with his feel for the game. I know he would likely play SF, and we are loaded there already, but this guy can knock it down from deep.
I like him and I don't he would be a good matchup for Telfair in the back court to cover some of Telfair's lack of a vertical dimension. His shot is good and I like his D. However his attitude kind of scares me. He seems like if he wasn't the go to guy he wouldn't be happy I could see playing time issues coming out with him.
I do like the fact he reminds me of my favorite player Reggie Miller :allhail: .

But he did beat my Huskies....... :curse:

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
He seems like if he wasn't the go to guy he wouldn't be happy I could see playing time issues coming out with him.
I think most players in this league get use to the fact that they arnt the "go to guy" like they were in college......

And he hasnt been unhappy about playing second fiddle to Taquan Dean or Larry O'Bannon on several occasions this year......

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
NateBishop3 said:
I disagree about the luck part. I'm with Hap regarding Wade -- it seems to me that there's nearly always somebody (often several somebodies, eventually) who becomes a great player. When there's someone like James, Duncan, or Shaq, it's a pretty sure thing and, we're not really in position to get a guy like that right now. Many of the best players in league history were late first round or even second round picks.

I'm not saying that it doesn't matter where one picks. I'm mostly saying that, unless there were four or five guys standing out the way James, Duncan and Shaq did, we'd almost certainly still be missing out. And, we're going to have a chance to land someone who should make a difference this next season. Let's hope Nash and co. choose well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts