Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A reason that Donny Walsh has been clearing out cap space is maybe he is going after a big free agent named Tim Duncan. Duncan has been spotted at games with the Pacers the last couple of years talking to Donny Walsh. About what? We dont know... also Tim Duncan and Jermaine are good friends. Say they do get Anderson (without giving up Tinsley) and let him walk. That's 8 million in cap space. Also Reggie will either retire or take a major paycut. Say he gets signed to 2 or 3 million dollar contract. Thats 7 or 8 million in capspace. If he decides to retire thats 10 million in capspace. Also if donny is sure he can get Duncan you can let Brad Miller walk. So all in all thats about 25 million in cap space at the most. That is more than enought to give Jermaine a max contract. Which I believe is about 14 mill. He already makes like 8 million so that only takes six out of the cap room. There is 19 left. You give Duncan every cent you can and explain to him the likelihood of a championship with twin towers like Jermaine and Duncan. Whatever is left after that you offer to Reggie. This is a real long shot. But if it happened I would crap my pants because the Pacers would practically rap up their first championship.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Hey, nice to have you back!

But you're right, it <i>is</i> a long shot. IF Reggie retires, IF Chroshere gets traded, IF the Pacers get Anderson and let him walk... you still have to persuade Tim to come! And Duncan and O'Neal will both demand Max contracts, so that'll be pretty hard too.

I honestly don't see Duncan going to Indy, and I don't see O'Neal leaving, but IMO the most realistic chance of them getting together is in San Antonio.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I can see no way Duncan would come here. With all the other teams trying to get him as well it wouldnt be easy. It would be nice to see Duncan and JO running over every other front court in the league but I just dont see it happening. It would be nice to be proven wrong on this one though.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Friends means a lot but in Free Agency money and the ability to win a championship means more. Remember last year during the webber FA sweepstakes. Spree and him were good friends and Webber wanted to go there but buisness wise it doesn't work out and Chris realized he had a better chance of winning a championship in Sac-town. Also when talking about cap space you forgot that Bender, Artest and Harrington will be wanting big deals, also Tinsley and other rookies. Financial wise it is very hard to have 2 max players on a team unless you also have a bunch of role players or you don't mind going way over the cap.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bender and harrington have already signed extensions and are not free agents for awhile. and with O'Neal and Duncan on the same team, name a better situation to win a championship?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Allright, my fault. I probally should have looked it up before I posted it but oh well.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bender is a free agent in 2 years. Next year Reggie, Jermaine, and Brad are free agents. If they get Kenny Anderson in a deal, he will also be a free agent next year.Jermaine makes about 7 or 8 million right now. Reggie makes about 10 million. Kenny Anderson makes about 8 million. Brad makes 6 or 7 million. You let Kenny and Brad walk. Thats about fifteen million. You sign Reggie to 3 million a year for two years. That is 22 million in cap space. you give Jermaine a max deal which would only take about 7 million of your open cap because jermaine already makes 7 or 8 million. Then you still got 14 or 15 million left. Just enough for a max deal. You recruit Tim Duncan like hell:yes: Tell him all about how all he has to do is sign the contract and he will be playing for a championship. Explain to him that it would be just like playing with a younger David Robinson. you get what I am saying?

·
Registered
885 Posts
it sounds like it could almost work. but i am skeptical that it would. duncan is sighned thru 2003-04 with the spurs. and i don't know how they could be persuaded to let him go. he is their franchise player. spurs would want something completely unfair to get him. but who knows? it just might happen.but it would be sweet if we could send croshere somewhere. he's eating up pretty big bucks to be a backup to a backup. there have to be some teams like philly or new york that could use a guy with some size who has a semi-consistent ability to score.

·
Registered
50 Posts
miller

clownskull,
your exactly right. MIller is one of the better centers in the leauge out of the "real centers". Weve got one of the best and i think will grow into the best power forward in the leauge, so we dont need a dominant center. We just need someone to clean the glass and that can occasionally score to keep the pressure off of oneal. Theres room in the rotation for artest, harringtion, and bender.

·
Registered
885 Posts
i think the pacers will be successful because they have several capable players who can go one on one and create their own shots, get rebounds and play strong D. it is completely unfair to say that they are going to fail this year like i have seen in other posts. they integrated several players last year like b miller and artest and mercer who deserve an opportunity to show that they can mesh into the team. i think b miller really blended into the team really well almost immediately. artest plays some of the best defense in the entire league, and can put up quality points too. when he gets a training camp and more practices with the team, he will be a player to hold onto. and mercer hardly got a chance to play at all because of injuries. and i saw enough potential out of him to warrant some more investigation and opportunities. i strongly suspect it will.. if i were to give any predictions i would strongly suspect that there will be no trades. and i don't see a need. this squad has a hell of a good shot at going to the finals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts