Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/basketball/7869704.htm

"We don't take a challenge," Iverson said. "Guys don't take a challenge. Guys don't take pride in competing. At some point, it should be embarrassing to you. At some point, your pride [should] take over, you want to get up on somebody and guard him. We're not playing with any heart, any pride. Nobody's out there taking a challenge like they should, and it's sad. We've been a good team for 6 years. This year, we don't have any type of urgency. We see we're down in the standings; we're not in the playoffs right now. We're trying to fight uphill, and we're not doing it."
The article is a cleaned up version of this press conference. If you have the time to listen to press conference, it's worth it.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/basketball/7871927.htm

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I like stars calling their teammates out. That's what leaders should do.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
This is exactly what makes AI one of the best five players in the league. He's really a different breed from, say, a TMac or a Vince Carter. I can't say AI always plays within the team concept but when he steps on the court, he plays to win. For a guy 6'0, 160 pounds to willingly take the beating he does night in and night out is remarkable. AI is a throwback. I think guys like MJ and Bird would've loved to play with him. Hopefully this wakes Philly up, although Big Dog has needed to wake up his whole career.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Sometimes when you see a star pull this card it doesn't hold that much weight. But when it's Iverson who is talking about heart and pride, then you sit up and listen.

Glad he said something. And I'm glad he didn't name names. Cause they are playing like ****. It would be an embarrassment if that team doesn't make the playoffs. plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Ben Wallace did it to the Pistons last year in the playoffs and it worked, they came back and beat the Magic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts