Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

AI Talking Trash To The Celtics Bench

503 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  RoyWilliams 
#1 ·
Link
The bench lost its composure in the closing minutes against the Sixers, prompted by what Rivers called a "pretty good [verbal] jab" by Allen Iverson. The players sitting on the sideline shouted back at Iverson before the referees intervened. Around the same time, Ricky Davis picked up a technical for complaining about a no-call, which prompted criticism from the ABC broadcasters. It was another teaching moment for Rivers. "Allen said something to our bench and our bench reacted," said Rivers. "You know what I told them after the game? To the victors go the spoils. Allen can say whatever he wants. He showed up. He scored 38 points and he led that team to victory. When you're the loser, shut up. That's the way I look at it. I don't mind if we wanted to fight back, but do it on the floor. Hell, 'Toine was the main one and he had clothes on. There was nothing he could do about it." Rivers added, "The refs tried to intercede like they always do. And they should. That little stuff, even though it wasn't vicious, [can become a big thing.]. One of the things I told our coaches is I don't care if it's not vicious, just get them to be quiet because anything can happen. You think about that whole Detroit thing. The incident was over and the fact that they were allowed to keep talking is what led into [it] getting ugly. So I'm very conscious of that." . . .

#4 ·
SixersFan said:
I heard AI say "9 more games" to their bench while shooting the last pair of free throws. I laughed my *** off.
Has anyone really paid attention to AI in the last couple of years. He wasnt as big of a Trash talker his first few years and now he yaps to the opposing players and what not all game. For instance against Orlando when he scored 60 he told Jameer Nelson he would never be as good as he was in his rookie year. That was probably the funniest line as he dropped another J in his face.

#5 ·
BEEZ said:
Has anyone really paid attention to AI in the last couple of years. He wasnt as big of a Trash talker his first few years and now he yaps to the opposing players and what not all game.
When Allen Iverson first came in the league he really couldn't say anything to anyone because he had not accomplished anything. Now look at him. He's has almost everything that a player in the league could dream to achieve except for a ring. I think he knew when he first arrived in the NBA he couldn't say anything because he had nothing to back it up, but now that he's got so many great achievements under him he feels he can tease the less accomplished players.

#7 ·
BEEZ said:
Has anyone really paid attention to AI in the last couple of years. He wasnt as big of a Trash talker his first few years and now he yaps to the opposing players and what not all game. For instance against Orlando when he scored 60 he told Jameer Nelson he would never be as good as he was in his rookie year. That was probably the funniest line as he dropped another J in his face.
I don't think he meant that as a critical comment, more as a challenge. I know he likes Jameer, so I think he might just be challenging him and driving him to be the best he can.

#10 ·
BEEZ said:

Same thing can be seen if you watched Ray Lewis. (Sorry for the football reference but they share a lot of similar personality traits) Slowly but surely he started to let everyone know what he really thought.

#12 ·
kamego said:
Same thing can be seen if you watched Ray Lewis. (Sorry for the football reference but they share a lot of similar personality traits) Slowly but surely he started to let everyone know what he really thought.
I love the way Ray Lewis plays the game, he is just awesome to watch the way he handles himself and takes control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.