Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know the Lakers got him, and I was wondering if you could give me a breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses, becuase I don't know anything about him.. Thanks

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
shooting guard in a 6' body.

he's not too bad densively against similar sized guys... does not have passing or ballhandling skills.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
IMHO, AJ's a shooting guard in a point guard's body. He's a streaky shooter, but when he's on, he can score 10 pts in a quarter for you. He uses screens very well.

As a point guard, he lacks the necessary instincts offensively. Defensively, he's at least average, which ain't bad for a guy his size.

On the Bulls, he had his best moments late in games when he was inserted late to add an offensive spark. He's definitely isn't afraid to take big shots at crunch time and he isn't discouraged when he misses. I imagine if he shows this characteristic on the Lakers, Shaq, Kobe and Phil will get in line to punch AJ's lights out.

His best use is as a Steve Kerr-type shooter. When last seen here, he lacked Kerr's consistency, but is certainly less of a defensive liability than Kerr.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the break down transplant and Wishbone- I think he will fit in ok with the Lakers. We need someone who can play SOME defense-and good shooting is always a help.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
AJ is going to fit in perfectly with the Lakers. There is really only one thing AJ does well, that is shoot an open trey. He'll get plenty of open looks in the triangle w/ Shaq Daddy in the middle and a slashing Kobe.

I disagree with some that say AJ plays defense okay. I haven't seen it, and I've watched almost every Bulls game the past 2 seasons. AJ is basically a spot up shooter. He can't create for himself or run the point. He'll be a nice fill in if Fischer or Horry get cold from the outside.

VD

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
AJ is a huge improvement over a guy like Penworthy. If things work out, I could see him playing as well or better than Hunter did last season for the Lakers. Great, cheap pickup!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts