Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Representatives for Johnson have scheduled a visit to meet with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban on Friday or Saturday in hopes of reaching agreement on a long-term deal. Johnson has assumed the coaching duties while operating under the player's contract he signed before this season, which pays him $1.1 million. Generally, first-time NBA coaches try to negotiate a three- or four-year deal. The average NBA salary for head coaches is slightly more than $2.25 million." Dallas Morning News

"I can only trust a man for his word, and I have a great relationship with Mark," Johnson said Tuesday. "I'm the coach of the Mavericks, not interim. Interim coaches don't really have stability." However, until a contract is signed, Johnson acknowledged that he has more in common with the four interim coaches in the league than the 25 coaches who are working under full coaching contracts. He is only bound to the Mavericks until July 1." Dallas Morning News

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
There are Phil Jackson whispers in the organization, but I believe that getting him is a long shot.

Give him a contract already!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe that a contract between the Mavs and AJ will be done soon. The organization knows what type of coaching skills he has.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I think he is the perfect coach for us. He stresses defense, he knows the plays, and he know the players. Give him a contract already like SMDre said.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
He's our guy. Plain and simple. I don't want us meddling with big name, older coaches. I think Johnson is the right age, and he stresses what needs to be stressed. He has all the little traits you look for, he knows when to be "gentle" and let a guy play his problems out, and he knows when to get in your face. Give him his contract.

·
Registered
427 Posts
AJ has made it known he's his own coach and not just a caretaker. He's already implemented a lot of his strategies. Also, making examples out of Dirk and JET lets you know who's team this is. Defense will be played now just not said anymore. Make no mistake this guy knows how to lead and won't take any slacking off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would go for the following: if we could get Phil Jackson than sign him for 2 seasons and keep AJ to learn from him too.

After seperating with PhJ, than give AJ full controll of the team!

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Amir said:
I would go for the following: if we could get Phil Jackson than sign him for 2 seasons and keep AJ to learn from him too.

After seperating with PhJ, than give AJ full controll of the team!
Nah, there's no demoting AJ now, not even for Phil I don't think.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We got to keep Avery.Hes a defensive minded coach and hes young.Give him 3 or a 4 year contract.He deserves a chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts