Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the world's most exciting or interesting game, but Danes hang on to beat 'Cats in Durham.

UNH was down 53-50 and had a couple of chances to tie, but didn't capitalize.

Iati looked good for Albany and had 23. Levine didn't look like the same player he was last year against NU (remember Wilson didn't play in that game) and had 14.

Walls played ok for UNH and had 14 and 8. If I'm Rowe, I probably would have gone inside more on Albany. I don't think he utilized his big men well in this game. Janev was a non factor.

Neither team crashed the boards well.

In attendance tonight... Karl Fogel. Always good to see the former boss at the game.

Will and UNH_Alum, good to finally meet you guys. This was one you guys should have taken. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Horrible game by UNH! Pretty much at a loss for words after this loss. I think we'll be the laughing stock of the league for the next few days.

I can't remember a worse half of basketball than they played in the first half. The whole team is just playing too mechanical. It seems they are so focused on running their motion offense that they don't even look at the basket half the time. Tons of turnovers again, no intensity, no energy. They need to play loose out there and be more offensive-minded and attach the basket. They definitely didn't utilize the big men enough and the guards played a horrible game with the exception of Childs. They gave Albany lots of second chances and missed a lot of rebounds.

Craig Walls is the only UNH player that seemed to have any energy out there. Shejdie Childs played decent in limited minutes, they could've used him in the first half. John Iati is very good, great pickup for Albany. Marcus Bullock couldn't guard him (Bullock can't guard anybody).

There's really no way they should've lost this game. Down by 2 wtih the momentum in their favor, Griffin Walker throws a horrible bounce pass to the other team that gets converted into a fast break layup/foul at the other end and that pretty much did it.

To change the subject, for NH Hoops or anyone else in the know, who was the new guy sitting next to Ben Sturgill on the bench? He looks about 6'4 or 6'5. Did we pick up a transfer over break?

·
Registered
864 Posts
This has to be a bad, bad loss for UNH. How do you go from being in the game down to the wire against two of the top teams in the league then lose to an injury depleted Albany squad that wasn't that good to begin with. If Rowe didn't go inside on Albany, shame on him. I went to the game last year between these two and if I recall correctly the same thing happened, UNH didn't go inside at all. I think the Danes have now won the last four against UNH. Pretty embarassing for the 'Cats.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
animal - I beg to differ with you

Last year at UNH Rowe definitely went inside Peterson had a career night with 19 and Sturgill chipped in with 17.

Jamar and Levi countered with 53pts - 39 by Jamar. Wilson and Levine shot 17 for 23 from the floor.

This year they should have gone inside more - how does UA out rebound UNH?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
NU Hoop Fan

Levi really struggled tonight especially in the first half but to his credit he stepped up in the last 7 minutes when the game was slipping away and score 7 big points to help the depleted Danes get an unsuspected "W".

Somehow over the last 2 years the coaching staff has gotten the team to be fairly competitive on most nights. This year has really been tough with 2 walk ons (one a freshman) and another Freshman Iati starting. It has been tough on Iati he was recruited to transport the ball and get it to Jamar and Levi in good spots with no Wilson he is now asked to transport and score with very limited people around him.

He will struggle at times as will Levi but I think next year with more solid players both Levi and Jon will show their true skills.

I hate to say it but there won't be too many more "Ws" coming this season - but hey you have to play the hand your dealt.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Will, I asked the same question about the player in warm-ups on the bench and was told he was a walk-on who practices with them. Apparently, no big recruit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Rowe is in trouble! UNH is not very good! If UNH fan's think Janev is the real deal then you are nut's!!!!

Albany is banged up and only has 7 guy's and they beat you in your gym??

Iati had a solid night and Levine made play's down the stretch and everybody else chipped in!

UNH needs a change!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Professor, it's games like last night that make me agree with you.

Sometimes the effort just isn't there and I am constantly amazed by some of their stupid decisions on the court. We have to be the least fundamentally sound team in the conference.

Of course, I want to see the team and coaching stuff do well but I am starting to wonder. They have some decent players to work with now and there's no more time for excuses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to miss you guys

Ugly, ugly loss. Its becoming harder and harder for me to convince friends (and my wife, who is a huge college basketball fan!) to come to watch the Wildcats.

Anyway, there were too many turnovers and poor decision-making again tonight. Against Northeastern, their intensity was there throughout the game, even when the execution wasn't. Tonight, there seemed to be no energy, little flow to the offense, and not enough quality minutes from guys like Griffin Walker, Marcus Bullock, or Janev. I agree about Shejdie - he looked good when he was on the floor.

A few other observations -

- 5 of 19 from beyond the arc - too many quick threes outside the offense, IMHO
- we only got to the free-throw line 7 times at home - Albany got 15 of their points off of free-throws
- Albany beat us with basically 6 players getting the vast majority of their minutes
- Iati and Levine were both good for UA - if UNH had just one other scorer tonight besides Walls, they win
- I know, I know - Blagoj is a true freshman - but has anyone else been as disappointed with what he's shown so far in AE play as I've been?
- Small crowd last night contributed to the gloomy feeling in gym
- They now face the possibility of an 0-4 league start going on the road to Stony Brook - how big is that game?

Congrats to Albany - they came to UNH and got a road win playing 6 guys. On to Stony Brook....

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
GraniteStateUNH - Hang in there.

Walls is solid, Sturgill will be back, Childs is solid and will get healthier and Janev is adjusting. Bullock has to do something besides shoot threes.

The big advantage I think UA has is their coaching staff - they seem to be dilligent and have a great rapport with their kids and their kids played with a purpose. Last nights starters for UA were 2 walk ons, a freshman (Iati) - who was playing his 2nd game with out a shoulder brace and a soph(Levine). Their front court is weak and plays by committee. Believe me UA will struggle to win games but they always seem to be well prepared.

Last night the UNH guys looked unprepared and unsure of what they were trying to accomplish.

Boston U can run 10 guys because they are all pretty much interchangeable guys with multiple skills. UNH has a team of players who all can do onething well but are limited in other areas. I think UNH has to cut its rotation to about 8 guys until Sturgill returns and then go to 9.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts