Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stony Brook takes game 1 59-43.

Not usually post worthy with where these two teams are currently, but the Albany fans were under the impression they could make themselves legit contenders with a sweep this weekend.

In an incredibly huge upset, SBU wins with their best player (Mo Gueye) and starting center (Jaden Sayles) out with illness and injury. SBU started a player for whom today's game was his fifth appearance of the season. He averages 2 mins a game in those 5 games. SBU played tough defense holding Albany to 43 points.

What makes this result so interesting? Will Brown's contract is up at the end of this season. So far there has been no extension offered. Could this loss to a depleted and already down SBU team be the nail in the coffin that sees Brown's tenure at Albany come to an end?

·
Premium Member
33,422 Posts
That sounds crazy to me. Brown should get a 4yr/5yr extension and see where things are at the end of that and if Albany is serious about making a move, then maybe do it then if results aren’t what it wants-but now? Would be pretty absurd.

·
Gr8t Dane
739 Posts
Stony Brook takes game 1 59-43.

Not usually post worthy with where these two teams are currently, but the Albany fans were under the impression they could make themselves legit contenders with a sweep this weekend.

In an incredibly huge upset, SBU wins with their best player (Mo Gueye) and starting center (Jaden Sayles) out with illness and injury. SBU started a player for whom today's game was his fifth appearance of the season. He averages 2 mins a game in those 5 games. SBU played tough defense holding Albany to 43 points.

What makes this result so interesting? Will Brown's contract is up at the end of this season. So far there has been no extension offered. Could this loss to a depleted and already down SBU team be the nail in the coffin that sees Brown's tenure at Albany come to an end?
Albany was playing without some if it's team available as well from injuries, and a few players on minute restrictions from COVID protocols.

Today you saw a very different UA team than you did yesterday. It's looks like a pretty high chance that the rubber match will be next week... Is gueye going to return? Would be much more satisfying beating you with him than without him.

As for Brown: many UA fans on the BPF site are calling for him to not be renewed. I don't see him going anywhere and getting a renewal, but with COVID killing UAs budget, combined with 3 straight underperforming seasons it wouldn't surprise me if UA just "couldn't find the money" to extend his contract.

I personally hope he stays, but the program desperately needs some fresh energy and a reset. Forcing several changes on the assistant level to bring in some fresh ideas and energy is really needed.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Albany was playing without some if it's team available as well from injuries, and a few players on minute restrictions from COVID protocols.

Today you saw a very different UA team than you did yesterday. It's looks like a pretty high chance that the rubber match will be next week... Is gueye going to return? Would be much more satisfying beating you with him than without him.

As for Brown: many UA fans on the BPF site are calling for him to not be renewed. I don't see him going anywhere and getting a renewal, but with COVID killing UAs budget, combined with 3 straight underperforming seasons it wouldn't surprise me if UA just "couldn't find the money" to extend his contract.

I personally hope he stays, but the program desperately needs some fresh energy and a reset. Forcing several changes on the assistant level to bring in some fresh ideas and energy is really needed.
There is no way I move on from Brown at this point. I give him a new contract of 4 years and thank him for his loyalty and dedication while running a clean program. These last 3 years haven't been as strong and I know fan bases are all about what have you done for me lately.....but in my eyes he is the kind of coach you want at this level. If anything I think they need to bring in another offensive philosophy so it is less one on one type play that they seem to resort to often. My vote is 3 or 4 year contract.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts