Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Sadly I missed this game, anyone else with thoughts on the combo?

So pissed I missed a game where Jackson was out!

-Petey

·
Burned
18,772 Posts
Petey said:
Sadly I missed this game, anyone else with thoughts on the combo?

So pissed I missed a game where Jackson was out!

-Petey
I thought it was a clean, professional broadcast.

And there was a broadcast signal throughout the entire game.

·
Banned
845 Posts
I like Sparnarkel.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FOMW said:
Any combo substituting Albert for Ian Eagle is already in the hole. But Spanarkel was MUCH preferable to Jackson. Call it a wash.
Marv Albert is the best play by play basketball announcer in the history of the game...that is not debatable. There were times last year when Eagle was simply not fully prepared, like the San Antonio game at the Meadowlands when he didn know Carter and Bowen had a history.

·
Registered
631 Posts
NetIncome said:
Marv Albert is the best play by play basketball announcer in the history of the game...that is not debatable.
The arrogance reflected by this statement even supercedes its folly. You may be right for a different reason, however, since I can think of few things more trivial and less worthy of debate than who the best play by play basketball announcer of all time is.

Suffice to say that I'm not endeared by his vocal timbre nor by his overwrought exclamations of "Yes!", "so-and-so from downtown!", and the like. He's never asked nor answered a question about the game of basketball that increased my knowledge of the game. And his often miserable attempts at wit and humor only make the invidious comparisons to Eagle more obvious, since wit comes naturally and in abundance to Ian.

Of course I admit I'm biased against perpetrators of sexual assault that cloak themselves in the fake virtue of celebrity, which helps explain why I think even less of Kobe Bryant as a basketball player than I do of Marv Albert as a basketball announcer. Perhaps if society were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to be so reactionary.

Ultimately I really don't give two hoots about basketball play by play. But since I need the volume on to hear the sounds of the game, I'll take the guy who's easier on my ears . . . and on my values.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I like the guy on Telemundo. Marv's insipid "Yes" just can't compete with the melifluous JaBARRRRRRRRRRRI SMEEEEEEEEEEEEETH!!!!!

which is the only reason I am going to miss Jabari. Maybe the Nets can sign him to a ten-day contract whenever they are about to have a game broadcast on Telemundo.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
BTW is Jim Spanarkel from Jersey City?

·
Registered
269 Posts
LOL, never saw a game on Telemundo.

I thought they were really enjoyable calling the game. Albert sounds much better without Jackson next to him. The organization should just can him because he makes everything, including Marv Albert, sound horrible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts