Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Albert has been named the National League Most Valuable Player. First Cardinals MVP since Willie McGee won it in 1985. Cardinals will hold a press conference at 3:30..

Congratulations Albert..

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Report: Albert Pujols wins 1st NL MVP

Pujols beats out Jones for NL MVP
By GUY CURTRIGHT
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 11/15/05

Andruw Jones led the majors with 51 homers, won his eighth consecutive Gold Glove and led the Braves to a record 14th consecutive division title. That wasn't enough to win the National League Most Valuable Player award, however.

St. Louis first baseman Albert Pujols, who had finished second to San Francisco's Barry Bonds the last four seasons, beat out the Braves center fielder.

Voting was announced Tuesday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

It was a three-player race between Jones, Pujols and Chicago Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee.

[More in URL]

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

1380 - Sources inside MLB says the Cards wont have to cancel a 3:30 press conference set for Albert. Pujols hit .330 with 41 HR's, 117 RBI's, scoring 129 runs. Albert also swiped 16 bases.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Pujols earns first MVP Award
Cardinals slugger held together injury-plagued lineup
By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- Choose your definition of valuable, and Albert Pujols lived up to it in 2005.

Pujols, 25, was a dominant offensive force, ranking among the National League leaders in virtually every hitting category. He complemented his bat with solid and improving defense and success on the basepaths. He came up with big hits at big times. He was the one constant threat in a Cardinals lineup ravaged by injuries. He was the best player on the best team in the league.

And so Pujols now has the one individual award that eluded him for his first four big league seasons. He was named the NL's Most Valuable Player on Tuesday by the Baseball Writers Association of America. Pujols had finished fourth or better in the balloting in each of his first four seasons, placing second twice. Barry Bonds won each of the previous four MVPs in the NL.

Pujols edged out two other strong candidates, Atlanta's Andruw Jones and the Cubs' Derrek Lee. Jones led the Majors with 51 home runs while playing for an Atlanta team that, like the Cardinals, was hit hard by injuries. Lee won the batting title and finished ahead of Pujols in batting average, slugging percentage, home runs and doubles, but toiled for a losing club.

[More in URL]

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

<pre>
Player Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th Pts
Albert Pujols STL 18 14 X X X X X X X X 378
Andruw Jones ATL 13 17 2 X X X X X X X 351
Derrek Lee CHC 1 1 30 X X X X X X X 263
Morgan Ensberg HOU X X X 10 7 7 2 1 1 X 160
Miguel Cabrera FLA X X X 13 4 1 2 3 4 1 146
Carlos Delgado FLA X X X 2 6 2 4 2 1 X 84
Pat Burrell PHI X X X X 4 6 1 X 3 1 65
Chris Carpenter STL X X X 1 3 3 1 2 1 X 52
Brian Giles SDG X X X 1 2 2 2 1 2 4 48
Jimmy Rollins PHI X X X 2 1 X 2 4 1 3 45
Dontrelle Willi FLA X X X X 2 3 2 1 2 X 42
Jason Bay PIT X X X 1 X 1 4 1 5 X 41
Chase Utley PHI X X X X X 2 2 X 1 2 22
Lance Berkman HOU X X X 1 X X 1 1 3 1 21
Bobby Abreu PHI X X X 1 1 1 2 X X X 21
Chad Cordero WAS X X X X X 1 2 X 2 4 21
Trevor Hoffman SDG X X X 1 X X 2 1 X 1 19
Carlos Lee MIL X X X X X 1 1 2 1 2 19
Jeff Kent LAD X X X X 1 1 X 2 X 1 18
David Wright NYM X X X X 1 X 1 2 X 2 18
David Eckstein STL X X X X X 1 2 X X 2 15
Roger Clemens HOU X X X X X X X 2 1 X 8
Roy Oswalt HOU X X X X X X X 1 1 1 6
Ken Griffey Jr. CIN X X X X X X X 1 1 X 5
Andy Pettitte HOU X X X X X X X X 2 1 5
Jim Edmonds STL X X X X X X X 1 X X 3
Cliff Floyd NYM X X X X X X X 1 X X 3
Marcus Giles ATL X X X X X X X 1 X X 3
Adam Dunn CIN X X X X X X X X X 3 3
Scott Eyre SFG X X X X X X X X X 1 1
Brad Lidge HOU X X X X X X X X X 1 1
Jose Reyes NYM X X X X X X X X X 1 1
</pre>

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Heads up - ESPNEWS will be holding Albert's press news conference.. I think it's at 3:30 but may be at 2:30.. Certain it's 3:30 though..

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Pujols was as classy as ever in his interview today as usual.. He said that all he thinks about is getting ready for opening day. His goal was to get back to the WS and help his team win and hopefully get a ring.. That's just how he is. He also give credit to Andruw and Derrek as expected. But more importantly is the way he went about it.. He credited his teammates, guys like Nunez, Luna, Mabry, JRod, and Seabol who were actually n ot getting any credit at all because the 'Cardinals had nobody besides Pujols' stuff. I'm thrilled and we are honored to have a player of this caliber but even better a great person. Baseball should be represented this way. With player's like Albert..

Pujols wins MVP

Pujols, who joined Stan Musial as the only Cardinals to finish in the top five in MVP voting in five straight years, led the team to the best record and baseball (100-62) during the regular season. He also belted a dramatic two-out, three-run homer against Houston Astros closer Brad Lidge in the ninth inning of Game Five of the NL Championship Series. He led the Cardinals to 105 wins and a World Series appearance

"Down at spring training, you don't think about winning the MVP. All you think about is getting ready for Opening Day," Pujols said. "That was my goal, get ready for the 2005 season and hopefully help my team back to the World Series. My goal is to help my team win and hopefully get that ring.

"This is the reward that you get, an MVP. Now I can say that I have an MVP in my trophy case, but I still want to get that ring. That's my goal."

Pujols' accomplishments were particularly impressive considering the Cardinals' injury-depleted lineup. Third baseman Scott Rolen, who finished fourth in the NL MVP voting in 2004, and corner outfielders Larry Walker and Reggie Sanders missed considerable time.

"Without those guys in the locker room, I couldn't have done this," Pujols said. "I know that Reggie, Larry and Scott Rolen went down, but you have to give credit to the bench: Abraham Nunez, Hector Luna, John Mabry and John Rodriquez and Scott Seabol. You have to give credit to those guys, they did a terrific job.

"I want to share this with my teammates, the Cardinals organization - they deserve this as much as me."

[More in URL]

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Albert with AJ :)

MVPujols

Albert with part owner, Fred Hanser reading a letter from Tony. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts

Agent K said:
He deserves this mostly, indeed.
And he has for a while.

And it's definately nice to see Carpenter getting in the top 10 in voting as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts