1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Juan Fernandez

FIRST TEAM

Juan Fernandez – best all-round player in the league.

Kevin Anderson – If reports of improved jumper are true, he’ll repeat as POY.

Lavoy Allen – No low-post player does more for his team.

Damian Saunders – Jack of all trades has highest motor in the A-10.

Chris Wright – League’s most athletically and physically imposing player.

SECOND TEAM

Andrew Nicholson – A First Teamer if he stays out of foul trouble.

Shamari Spears – Inside-out forward will have a dominant senior season.

Delroy James – Most explosive two-way player in the conference.

Aaric Murray- Huge talent can make treys, block shots. Ready to break out.

Chris Johnson – Tour de force scorer and rebounder when he’s on his game.

THIRD TEAM

Tu Holloway – smart, tough, clutch. A better J puts him in the same class as KA and Juan.

Justin Harper – Versatile big forward finally playing like an NBA prospect.

Chris Gaston – Almost impossible to guard one on one with his range of skills.

B.J. Monteiro – Most underrated and underappreciated player in the A-10. Get ready.

Lasan Kromah – Potential NBA prospect with his size, skills and shooting ability.

BONUS: FOURTH TEAM

Chris Braswell – Next-gen A-10 star already rebounds and blocks shots. Scoring comes next.

Terrell Vinson – Another next-gen star in the A-10 with an advanced inside game.

Cody Ellis – Smooth shooter and passer will be even better now that he’s in shape.

Ramone Moore – The most gifted natural scorer in the league this side of Delroy James.

Akeem Richmond – Best pure shooter in the league will really light it up this year.

Anthony Gurley – Strong-bodied scoring guard has been forgotten, but he will be heard.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Lavoy Allen – best all-round defender in the league by a wide margin.

ALL DEFENSIVE TEAM
Lavoy Allen
Damian Saunders
Kevin Anderson
B.J. Monteiro
Dante Jackson

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
High praise for B.J. Monteiro, 3rd team overall and 1st team all D. As a Dukes fan, I was certainly not expecting that, though his game did seem to elevate some without Bolding in the lineup. If it holds, we could be in for a nice season IMO.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree with xu95. Muskies have loads of balance. I probably should have McClean or Jackson on Fourth Team. Both are definitely in the running for official All-Conference consideration at season's end. I also expect a breakout year for Mark Lyons that could make the Xavier backcourt the best in the league. To me, Lyons is the key to Xavier's success.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Problem with McLean is he has the jumpshooting range of Charles Little. Unless he is dunking the ball or scooping in a bank off the elbow, his offense is non-existent. He also cant shoot FTs. Just never been real impressed with him. Can leap out of the gym but thats about it.

I think Dante Jackson is underrated. He goes ape against UD every time and while he runs hot and cold on offense (there is no middle ground), he always seems to choose his best moments in the most important games. Plus he can hit FTs.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Chet, I know you don't follow X that closely but McLean had a fantastic end of the year. From Feb 1 on, McLean averaged 10pt and 9 Rbs. I'll take that this year but I suspect his #'s will go up. He was dealing with the loss of his father right before the season started last year.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
fixed it for you. It's been a long time since Xavier had to do it, hasn't it?
Are you kidding? Go back and look at the league's awards for the last 10 years. You won't find many since West left. Don't you remember Hammer's rant from 3 years ago. X has had to rely on "team" scoring outside of West and Crawford last year. I hope you also remember what happened when West left too.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I love these posts, it means the season is just around the corner. As X fans I know we feel slighted, I think some guys have gotten overlooked. But there are a lot of good players in the league. In the end it's a team game and all about the W's.

I like Splinters Robinson for most improved player.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Chet,

From what I've seen with McClean, He doesn't care who's in his way, he'll get to the basket. Why in the hell would you shoot if you can get to the basket?
Charles Little was the same player. On some nights its an asset, but on others its a liability to be so one-dimensional.

·
Registered
156 Posts
According to Ken Pomeroy's stats, Chris Wright had a very average offensive rating of only 102.

Yes, he's physically imposing and dunks spectacularly, but he's far from a complete player.

Mclean touched the ball much less than Wright. Since offensive rating measures efficiency, he should have a little bit of a higher offensive rating.

Regardless, Mclean has a significantly more impressive offensive rating of 113.

For whatever reasons, Xavier seems to have a lot of players like Mclean who just don't get the attention they deserve (of course, I might be biased).

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
According to Ken Pomeroy's stats, Chris Wright had a very average offensive rating of only 102.

Yes, he's physically imposing and dunks spectacularly, but he's far from a complete player.

Mclean touched the ball much less than Wright. Since offensive rating measures efficiency, he should have a little bit of a higher offensive rating.

Regardless, Mclean has a significantly more impressive offensive rating of 113.

For whatever reasons, Xavier seems to have a lot of players like Mclean who just don't get the attention they deserve (of course, I might be biased).
I'm not sure what offensive efficiency actually entails, just looking at the raw numbers, there's still no way you can say the McLean is as good as Wright. I'm sure that that number included min and PPS somewhere in the equation. Just looking at PPS, Mclean does have an impressive number there but it's also allot better then Jordan Crawfords. Mclean also doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making a three point shot while Wright at least is somewhat of a threat to at least shoot it and make it at a minimal clip.

If you watched any of the NIT run then you will admit you saw CW hit about 3-4 jump shots in each game, all from 12 feet out or further. I can't recall seeing McLean hit but that amount in the entire season. Could Mclean have a breakout year this year? Sure he could, but unless he develops any semblance of a jump shot, he's still a player that doesn't have to be guarded outside of 11-12 feet. If Mclean is called upon to do more offensively this year, that offensive efficiency will go down, it's the nature of the beast when the ball is in your hands more.

As far as the all conf teams go, Tu is a no brainer for one of them...I would think that if X finishes in the Top 2-3 in the league, that that means, as usual, someone stepped up big time for them. That could be Mclean or Frease imo, whether making one of the first three teams or getting the most improved player. Also, for both X and UD, freshmen are somewhat important this year. Both need probably two to step up and be productive...most likely Staten and Spearman for UD and correct me if I'm wrong, Latham and Martin for X.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.