Jordair Jett, St. Louis
Pierria Henry, Charlotte
Richard Hollis-Jefferson, Temple

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Sean Johnson?
Jerry Jones?

Come on, one of these guys deserves to be on this list. I understand everyone is automatically picking Duquesne last, which is annoying but deserved, but not to have a single player in the top 20 players? Please WH....

Sean Johnson will average 17 to 20 points at the very least. Jerry Jones may do the same, but probably more like 15.

I can't wait for Duquesne to knock off a bunch of A10 teams and finish in the middle of the pack.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
WH loves Temple.

Btw, I wish he was Richard Jefferson, but he's just Rahlir.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got lazy at the last moment and didn't look up his first name, JHG. You are right. Too bad he's not Richard!

DukesDan, Johnson was the first guy off my list. It came down to him and Putney, and while Johnson is more deserving based on past performance, the UMass forward really came on strong last season at both ends of the court and he is a matchup nightmare.

Love your optimism. I simply do not share it. You can lord it all over me at season's end if you are correct.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
Are you kidding me?

What self-respecting UMass fan would not put Chaz Williams as player of the year? Khalif Wyatt? Seriously? The dude is gonna be suspended for a few games and you think he's POY?

You either are not a true UMass fan, or have no knowledge of the game of college basketball. No credibility anymore..

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks z8, I will sleep more soundly tonite after that little plug. I'd be worried if you started saying good things. That would mean something was seriously wrong with me!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I draw up a list of every possible pick, itsy, and Lindsay and Brothers were on it before I did my culling. But lots of very good players in the league. I'd like to see Brothers diversify his game a bit more.

I really love Lindsay, but I don't think he will get a chance on a balanced Richmond team to put up the necessary numbers. The ball will go thru Williams a lot more in the post and Anthony and Brothers will get their shots. Lindsay is too unselfish - but that's a good thing.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Love our backcourt and Ced does a little of everything but agree he tends to get overlooked. I just think Brothers has games where his offense comes so easily that in his senior season, the consistency will also be there. he is very explosive

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Just curious, but where would TJ McConnell have landed on these lists?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
WH, an excellent list as per the norm. I can't remember what year you picked Fernandez to win POY -- was it 2010-2011? Anyway, I think Khalif stands a much better shot than Juan did (though we all expected bigger things from him).

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
WH, looking over that list, I'm forced to wonder how you picked anyone over SJU? 4 SJU guys over 4 teams, 1 Bill over 4 teams, each with an all D team player. No other team with more than 2. Not sure what this is saying, but? I think I might venture a guess but would prefer the author's thought. Pre-season rankings are a crap shoot, of course.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DukesDan, TJ would have been Second Team.

VanNTR, I thought Fernandez would have a huge year as a junior after his scintillating sophomore campaign. But he was never the same.

I suspect Williams will be the official pick for preseason POY, but Wyatt does so many things well and he's the best clutch shooter in the league. Just a pure dagger thrower who kills opponents down the stretch.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WH, looking over that list, I'm forced to wonder how you picked anyone over SJU? 4 SJU guys over 4 teams, 1 Bill over 4 teams, each with an all D team player. No other team with more than 2. Not sure what this is saying, but? I think I might venture a guess but would prefer the author's thought. Pre-season rankings are a crap shoot, of course.
SLU relies on more players and is more balanced, so the numbers get spread out. On a different team, guys like McCall and Jett could be all-league. One of those two might even make the final list at season's end.

I give SLU an edge mainly for their defense, discipline and depth.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I don't know enough about the league to say anything about the picks, but from my observations I think Briante Weber likely cracks the defense team before Darius Theus.

He's a defensive pest with a 45-inch vertical and 6'7 wingspan at 6'3. He led both our team and conference in steals (77) despite only playing 18.7 mpg off the bench as a freshman. He led the country in both steal rate (7.01) and steals per 40 minutes (4.6). He was the first player in college basketball since 2002-2003 to record a steal percentage over 7. He made the CAA All-Defensive team last year over Darius Theus.

I expect him to make the freshman-sophomore jump and be a formidable defensive player. Jay Bilas had this to say about Briante Weber in March:

Best On-Ball Defender in NCAA: Aaron Craft, OSU and Briante Weber, VCU. Craft controls game on D, and Weber gets steals on and off ball.
https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/184127352522014720

VCU's Briante Weber will be National Defensive Player of the Year before he is done. Disruptive defender.
https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/180444171327381504

Needless to say, he's pretty good on defense. I'm really juiced to see him develop and grow in his sophomore season.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
SLU relies on more players and is more balanced, so the numbers get spread out. On a different team, guys like McCall and Jett could be all-league. One of those two might even make the final list at season's end.

I give SLU an edge mainly for their defense, discipline and depth.
Yep. Especially the first two.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DB, I thought Theus should have been all-league defense last year, too. I gave him the edge because of all the minutes he plays. If Weber plays a lot more this season, he could end up on the list. Perhaps both players will.

I watched VCU play its final two CAA tourney games and both NCAA games. I was impressed with how Theus always kept his guy in front of him. Just really smart with his positional defense.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
A lot of us thought that Theus would have made all-defense too, but he didn't. Together with Briante Weber, they formed the most potent duo in the country at grabbing steals (148 between the two, 71 for Theus and 77 for Briante).

Theus is a very fundamentally sound player and had some experience being coached up on how to play position defense and play defense by moving his feet instead of using his hands. Weber is a bundle of energy who is more undisciplined and rough around the edges, but he possesses a quickness and gear that Darius doesn't have. They are both excellent defensive players, but as Jay Bilas noted as the year progressed several times before making those compliments of the highest praise in March, Briante's upside as a defensive player is absolutely off the charts.

Our defense became exponentially better last year in large part because of what Briante Weber and Theus brought with their on-the ball defense. We had Buzz Peterson (Michael Jordan's college roommate at UNC) at UNCW actually admit during post-game that he instructed his players not to bring the ball up the court if #10 (Theus)or #2 (Weber) were guarding them. The Rams forced a school record 20 steals and 28 turnovers that night:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Are you kidding me?

What self-respecting UMass fan would not put Chaz Williams as player of the year? Khalif Wyatt? Seriously? The dude is gonna be suspended for a few games and you think he's POY?

You either are not a true UMass fan, or have no knowledge of the game of college basketball. No credibility anymore..
Guess you missed the news, chief, he's not suspended at all.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Get off of WH's back everyone. Even though he is a Umass fan first, he is by far the most unbiased when it comes to this ranking stuff.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts