Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about answering the Q's in bold so that we can get to know each other.

When did you become a Laker fan?
First with Magic, then since Gasol is in the team.
Why did you become a Laker fan?
Magic play was beautifull. When he left I did not follow the lackers anymre. I am a knicks fan. Then Gasol joined the Lakers... and since the Knicks are **** I follow the Knicks and all the teams where spanish players are in the roster (4 teams)
Favorite current Laker?
Guess who?
Least favorite current Laker?
Byron Scott
Least favorite Laker of all-time?
Byron Scott
Favorite all-time Laker?
Magic
Best all-time Laker?
Magic
Least favorite coach of all-time?
N/A
Laker that didn't get enough chances?
N/A
Laker that got too many chances?
Rodman
Best moment as a Laker fan?
When the Lakers won that first game years back in the finals against Jordan.
Least favorite moment as a Laker fan?
Magic retires

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always remember cheering for the Lakers as a kid with my family, but I really didn't start grasping basketball til the 1993 season, 10 years old. Nick Van Exel is what got me hooked to basketball.

I guess I was a Laker fan by default being born and raised in LA, but I didn't start being a die hard til after the Magic era. Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones are some of my best 90s NBA moments.

Favorite current Laker?
Tough to choose, so many too pick from but I'll say Pau Gasol. Best BBall IQ on the team IMO, beautiful post game, can finish with both hands, was the piece that put us over the top, and is a blessing sent from Spain.

Sasha. Has no use on the offensive side of the ball. He's paid to hit a 3 and play D which he doesn't do well. Fouls like crazy but always claims he doesnt.

Kwame Brown. One of the clumsiest players ever in the league, was not taught the game well and never wanted to learn it. I haven't kept up with him in Detroit, but the time he spent here was pathetic.

Favorite all-time Laker?
Nick Van Exel. Nick was just one of the smoothest players I've ever seen. His "swag" wasn't forced and his all around skills on the court were awesome. The way the older heads on this site view Magic, or the way the younger posters view Kobe is the way that I viewed Van Exel growing up. No way does he come close to those 2 all time, but he did things that I've never seen done before and is what got me hooked to bball and the Lakers.

Best all-time Laker?
Magic and Jerry West. Kobe has a chance to move up this list with 4-6 more years of basketball left in his career.

Favorite Laker coach of all-time?
Phil. How often do you ever see Phil lose his cool? There's a reason why he has 11 rings, the man is simply the best at what he does and it's been proven year after year after year.

Del Harris. This guy had a loaded squad and kept on getting swept in the playoffs all the time. I mean seriously those squads he had were loaded!! Never had another NBA head coaching gig after his flop with the Lakers.

Sunderland or Chick? (not which one is/was better, which one would you rather have now and in the future)
LOL @ this question

Caron Butler

Devean George

Game 4 2000 NBA Finals. It clinched the LA long title drought and was Kobe's coming out party to superstar level. He was an all star before that. But the way he came out the end of that game and took over was really amazing to see coming from a young ball player. He showed the Superstar flash that night

I'll say Game 5 of the 2003 Semi Finals against the Spurs. That year should've been ours to 4peat and separate the Kobe/Shaq Dynasty from all others. I remember the Lakers stormed back from being down 0-2 to tie it up 2-2 and were trailing by 17 or something in game 5. They make a miraculous comeback and setup Horry for the game winning 3. He had it right there in his sights and it rimmed out. Then game 6 they absolutely demolished us at home. Seeing Fish/Kobe tear up was just so :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I've been on this site since 2003 under "HallofFamer" just lost the password to that account. So it's more like Welcome Back. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
1998 when I was 11
Liked Kobe Bryant. Was young and exciting
Favorite current Laker?
Kobe

pffft they're all amazing
Mark Madsen
Favorite all-time Laker?
Jerry West or Kobe. Wore number 44 in high score cause of Jerry/Pistol Pete
Best all-time Laker?
Magic Johnson

Phil Jackson
Del Harris.
Sunderland or Chick? (not which one is/was better, which one would you rather have now and in the future)
Chick

Adam Morrison , put him in and watch him dominate
Madsen
Kobe's 1st ring by himself. Suck it haters
When Kobe got in all that trouble =/

·
Get at me
981 Posts
Unofficially, I was born one. Officially, in 1979.
Most of my family were Laker fans. I started watching them at an early age and Chick Hearns made every game exciting.
Favorite current Laker?
Derek Fisher.
Farmar. Thank goodness he just used his ears to fly to New Jersey.
J.R. Rider. In honor of J.R. I'll comment on this too late, after the thread's been closed.
Favorite all-time Laker?
Magic. The first time I met him, he told me that he appreciated the fact that I just wanted a handshake and a few words rather than an autograph. Then he took a picture with my son and gave him an autographed T-shirt.
Best all-time Laker?
Magic. He was Muhummad Ali in a basketball uniform.
Philly J. He walked right past Red Auerbach, AS A LAKER.
Dunleavy
Are you serious. I still don't like Sunderland, and Stu is still hard to listen to for an entire game.
Van Slick
Rider
"Bryant... to Shaq!!!" That play launched a dynasty.
Magic's HIV announcement. Still hurts to think about or see.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
a long long time ago - think short shorts and guys with nick-names like Happy and Stumpy
born and bred, baby
Favorite current Laker?
Pau (although Ron-ron is making a bid on just the crazy factor)
I dont really hate any of them but change the topic to most frustrating and I'd say Lamar
Nick Van Exel maybe - not just for the whole Cancun episode but start there - being a quitter when you're supposed to be the team leader doesnt exactly sit well
Favorite all-time Laker?
Magic
Best all-time Laker?
Magic
Riles - could be Phil but it's too frustrating to watch when the other team is going on a 14-0 run and one of his assistants has to elbow him in the side so he'll wake up - plus his sub patterns are sometimes a little oblique (to put it nicely)- cant argue with his success though
Pfund? I mean wtf?
this isnt a real question - one was the heart of the franchise and the voice I grew up listening to. we in LA have had the great good fortune to have two of the maybe top 5 announcers in all of sports covering our teams for the last 50 years
Magic - he had at least three more prime time years left in him
Kobe against the Jazz in his rookie year, then again all the rest of those wusses had given up
.04 maybe, Horry off Vlade's tip? Baby sky-hook? so many good ones
November 7, 1991

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
a long long time ago - think short shorts and guys with nick-names like Happy and Stumpy
born and bred, baby
Favorite current Laker?
Pau (although Ron-ron is making a bid on just the crazy factor)
I dont really hate any of them but change the topic to most frustrating and I'd say Lamar
Nick Van Exel maybe - not just for the whole Cancun episode but start there - being a quitter when you're supposed to be the team leader doesnt exactly sit well
Favorite all-time Laker?
Magic
Best all-time Laker?
Magic
Riles - could be Phil but it's too frustrating to watch when the other team is going on a 14-0 run and one of his assistants has to elbow him in the side so he'll wake up - plus his sub patterns are sometimes a little oblique (to put it nicely)- cant argue with his success though
Pfund? I mean wtf?
this isnt a real question - one was the heart of the franchise and the voice I grew up listening to. we in LA have had the great good fortune to have two of the maybe top 5 announcers in all of sports covering our teams for the last 50 years
Magic - he had at least three more prime time years left in him
Kobe against the Jazz in his rookie year, then again all the rest of those wusses had given up
.04 maybe, Horry off Vlade's tip? Baby sky-hook? so many good ones
November 7, 1991
What an awesome post...loved every response!

I am 52 myself and have been watching the Lakers even before Happy and Stumpy, lol. First basketball game I ever watched was a title game between Philadelphia and San Francisco and watching Wilt attempt free throws...first game I ever went to was the Lakers against San Francisco in the spring of 1968, pre-Wilt...stars West, Clark, Baylor, Imhoff, etc.

I love to repeat this story: that playoff game was in the Fabulous Forum, capacity 16,505. There were 11,000 in attendance, meaning over 5,000 empty seats.

Yeah, 5,000 empty seats for a Laker playoff game. Hard to imagine, eh?

Welcome to the boards, and keep us old Laker fans company. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've always been a Laker fan, since I was born.

I'm a Southern Californian, and it's in my blood

Favorite current Laker?
I like Kobe, Bynum and Ron Artest a lot.

Luke Walton. What a waste of space and $30 million.

Probably Smush Parker, Kwame Brown or JR Rider

Favorite all-time Laker?
Magic, Eddie Jones or Kobe

Best all-time Laker?
Magic

Phil Jackson no question

Chick for both questions but they're both great

I want to say Caron Butler but he turned into Pau, so it turned out alright. I liked what e-monk said about Magic.

Luke Walton and Devean George

0.4 or Kobe to Shaq in the WCF

When the Kobe-Shaq combo was broken up, or the 2004 NBA Finals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1999 (Followed Bryant trade to Lakers and his draft in 1996 but got latched on in 99'.).
Following Bryant from his draft to his first championship in 2000, we (fellow bballers from school team), thought he was astounding and we wanted to watch him progress over the years.).
Favorite current Laker?
Gotta be #24, former #8 :D
I lost all respect for Fisher after looking at the Heat. C'mon man..... (Silly but I'm nuts so forgive me.).
Rodman. Crazy mofo.
Favorite all-time Laker?
Current Kobe. Cannot compare past tbh.
Best all-time Laker?
Reading up and seeing the past videos and what not, props to Mr. Magic for sure.
I only saw three coaches during my time, and it has to be Phil. Over the years I've come to learn more of the past, and I have to give huge props to West and Riley. Like, damn :)
I don't hate or dislike any of the three coaches. It is what it is.
Cannot really compare the two tbh :[
Caron Butler. It is what it is, no complaints in the end.
Luke Walton, like, give me a break.
Kobe to Artest for three, game seven 2009 Finals. Huge dagger imo.
Loss to Celts in 08.. man.. 08 :(

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Gonna make mine kinda quick.

Oh, in the early 90's.

My Dad was a huge Magic fan, played games all the time so I had no choice.

Favorite current Laker?
Fisher, I love what he represents.

Sasha Vujacic, he's more emotional then my girl. It's gonna burn us one day (Thanks for the free throws though).

Kwame Brown and Elden Campbell. Velcro couldn't save their hands.

Favorite all-time Laker?
Since picking a star is too obvious I'm gonna go with Van Exel because his free throws were classic.

Best all-time Laker?
Kobe, impact Magic, impact on Laker organization Jerry West

Del Harris didn't know how to communicate with star players. Was like watching the local high school coach get bumped to a head coaching job in the NBA.

Kobe to Shaq 2000. Was at a friends house with 7 other players from my highschool basketball team. It was nuts, such a high lvl of joy. We all thought we were gonna lose that game but it was like god put is hand around the rim when a Blazer shot it.

The 2005 season and Brian Cook getting minutes.

Peace.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts