Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are TWO things wrong with the all-star game. One is that voting is a popularity contest. Some of these players should not even be in the game. Next is the managers of the teams, they pick way too much players of their own team.

<b>AL</b>
Joe Torre needs to STOP picking his own players. Come on. The team already received 3 players via voting. Posada yes, Giambi yes in a way but other 1b played better than he. Sorino? well, ..... Then he picked 3 more reserves. Jeter? He is not having an All-star year. Ventura? come on. He is having a solid season, but come on. and Rivara yes I can take him. But Ventura and Jeter should not even be on the team. I feel only 4 should be on team if the voting stands. Now 5 SS???? That is a very joke. Darrin Erstad could be on the team. Omar Vizquel could be left out, but who will be cleve rep? Thome can, but you have already Sweeney and Koncerco. Koncero of the Sox can be left off and add thome since the Whitesox arleady have anotehr rep in Buhrle. So far I would take out Jeter and add Erstad, take out ventura and add Thome, take our Vizquel and add Johnny Damon. Winn and Fick needs to stay since Tampa and Detroit needs a rep. My question is this. Torre said he does not pick pitchers if they pitched the Sunday beofre. If that is true, then Pedro should not be selected since he wil pitch that Sunday. You also have Paul Byrd of the Royals should be on. Of course why 2 for Royals when they suck. But Byrd is pitching great, and you have to have Sweeney sicne he is the best hitter in the game now playing.

<b>NL</b>
Same story, too many d-backs. Keep Johnson and Schilling. That is no doubt. Kim? no way. I do not know who would take his place, but comeon. Miller at catcher? I rather have DoLoca (SP) of the Dodgers there. Spivey at 2b? hell no. Put in Craig Biggio of the Astros if not Biggio, put someone else in there. Luis gonzalez, well he should be in there, but I think another should make it like Andru Jones of the Braves, but then You will have 3 braves. But you don't have 7 d-backs though. now what about Jeff Bagwell, I think he is having a better season than Sexton. If the Brewers already have Herendez in, I think they should placed Bags in instead.

In other words, I just think the game is a joke. Popularity votes and biased managers just ruin the game. It should be <b>the best players</b> in the game at this time of the year. Now votign of 5 for 30th players is stupid. Just add damon and Bagwell. just said it Thanks

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Braves have the best record in baseball. No way they should have just 2 players going. Andruw deserves to go just on his defensive prowess and offensively he is not bad at all. He is a club leader for HRs and RBIs.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Druw Jones made it to the roster. He beat out Larry Walker and Brian Giles. Very deserving of him. Congratulations to Druw ! i believe fans have done better job this year in picking the right players for the most part.:yes:

·
Registered
494 Posts
kansasalumn, I disagree with some of your points. Kim has already 20 saves this season, one more than his career high. Also, his ERA has decreased a lot this year, and he's also pitching a lot better.

I also have no problem with Junior Spivey at 2B. He's hitting a .328 in only his 2nd season, he's also got a little bit of power and speed. Biggio on the other hand, does not deserve to be an all-star. His batting average has dropped around 50 points from last year, he's also chasing a lot of bad pitches and striking out a lot.

Same with Bagwell. He's hitting 40 points below his career average, and is only on pace for 25 HR's this season, and those are not Bagwell numbers.

Byrd has been struggling lately, but I still wouldn't mind if he was on the team.

I think Jeter deserves to be there, the guy is having another awesome season hitting .307 and on pace for the highest HR and RBI total in 3 seasons.

And I agree, Loduca should be there instead of Damian Miller...
I think Chavez should be there instead of Ventura. Chavez is hitting better than Ventura in EVERY SINGLE category!!!

Letting the managers pick the reserves is just stupid. Let the fans vote for the reserves!!!
:upset:

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by CT10
kansasalumn, I disagree with some of your points. Kim has already 20 saves this season, one more than his career high. Also, his ERA has decreased a lot this year, and he's also pitching a lot better.

I also have no problem with Junior Spivey at 2B. He's hitting a .328 in only his 2nd season, he's also got a little bit of power and speed. Biggio on the other hand, does not deserve to be an all-star. His batting average has dropped around 50 points from last year, he's also chasing a lot of bad pitches and striking out a lot.

Same with Bagwell. He's hitting 40 points below his career average, and is only on pace for 25 HR's this season, and those are not Bagwell numbers.

Byrd has been struggling lately, but I still wouldn't mind if he was on the team.

I think Jeter deserves to be there, the guy is having another awesome season hitting .307 and on pace for the highest HR and RBI total in 3 seasons.

And I agree, Loduca should be there instead of Damian Miller...
I think Chavez should be there instead of Ventura. Chavez is hitting better than Ventura in EVERY SINGLE category!!!

Letting the managers pick the reserves is just stupid. Let the fans vote for the reserves!!!
:upset:
Voting reserves too? no. To pick the reserves should be the commish or someone 3rd party

·
Registered
494 Posts
Originally posted by kansasalumn

Voting reserves too? no. To pick the reserves should be the commish or someone 3rd party
Nah
I don't trust Selig. I heard he's from Milwaukee, therefore, I bet he's gona stack the team full of Brewer players that don't deserve to be there.

And which 3rd party do you mean?

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by CT10

Nah
I don't trust Selig. I heard he's from Milwaukee, therefore, I bet he's gona stack the team full of Brewer players that don't deserve to be there.

And which 3rd party do you mean?
I rather have Selig to pick teams over Joe Torre any day any time. Yes he is from Milwaukee, no I don't think he would stack of Brewers. He is no longer affilated with them. Family is still though.

3rd party like no ide of now though, let met think about it.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Joe Torre is a complete jackass. He pulls this crap ever year and he picks his own guys. Also, what is this rule about not picking a player that has pitched the Sunday before the game? Did he just pull that out of nowhere? They need a better system then letting the coaches pick the teams....

Maybe open up fan balloting for 5-10 players instead of just 1........

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I agree

with Kansasalumn.... the roster stocking is a joke.... for that matter, I think the fans vote should only count for reserves. Players should have 1/3 of the votes for starters, coaches 1/3, media 1/3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts