Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

.....The trade talks involving the Trail Blazers are no longer speculation. Owner Paul Allen on Thursday acknowledged rumors that the team is considering a trade are true and current, as evidenced by his 30-minute meeting with team president Steve Patterson and general manager John Nash during the third quarter of the Blazers' 105-96 loss to the Phoenix Suns at the Rose Garden.

After the game, Allen said he is contemplating whether he should pull the trigger on a proposed trade.

"Trade. Not to trade. I don't know," Allen said before walking out of the arena........

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
at least there was a reason for Allen to be there, because I sure felt like a world class chump for wasting two hours of my life on that game.

a big fear for me right now is that whatever happens in this trade, we wind up trading away our only decent PG in McInnis.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!

...a big fear for me right now is that whatever happens in this trade, we wind up trading away our only decent PG in McInnis.
What if, say, Steve Nash came in return? (not that that would happen, though....)

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I guess the closer to the dead line the better the options. I think that if something does happen it has to be Dallas. Orlando isn't crazy enough to trade McGrady and I really don't like the New York deal. Maybe both Dallas and Portland are waiting for today so that Rasheed can fly home with the Mavericks tomorrow?

Something has to give, because Portland is in a nose dive and things don't look so rosey right now.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If we trade Sheed away for crap and send McInnis out without getting a decent point guard, talk about screwed...

I like it though that Allen has the final say, I suppose all owners do, but you know Paul loves the franchise and wants to see it get back to being a contender.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!

then McInnis wouldn't be our only decent point guard....
You had mentioned being fearful of trading McInnis. What if, in doing that, though, we got Nash? Wouldn't that be enough of an upgrade to make trading Jeff a little more palatable?

If Nash were to be included in any deal, Dallas would want a PG included in return. Jeff is the only reasonable solution, IMO.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Orleans is really struggling right now. I wonder if Nash & C. could convince them to part with B. Davis in a trade involving Sheed?

Mashburn sounds pretty good right about now, too! :D He's on the verge of returning.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sheed for Jamison and Tariq-Abdul Whahad. tariq has 28 mill over 4 more years on his contract, and he is injured. So in other words, cap for cap hell. Smart move.:uhoh:

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Sheed for Jamison and Wahad is a TERRIBLE trade. If we do that they better toss in Josh Howard as well. Otherwise we're taking it up the tail pipe. If Nash makes this move I will have lost a lot of confidence in him.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chad Ford doesn't think the Mavs will pull the trigger on a trade for Wallace:

.........(If Sheed didn't re-sign with the Mavs is) one of the reasons the Mavs are reluctant to pull the trigger. If Sheed leaves, they essentially gave up Antawn Jamison (or whoever they'd send to Portland) for nothing. Even if they could get some sort of guarantee by Sheed, I don't see how it makes the Mavs any better. To me, they need a blue collar banger to do some dirty work in the paint. Sheed isn't that guy.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Most any Dallas trade would stink unless we got Nash back

New Orleans is not going to trade Baron Davis IMHO. He IS their team. Damon and Zach for Baron and Jamaal?

Whatever is on the table with Mr. Allen sure seems to be quiet this time. That is more of an indication to me than anything

16 - 21 stinks.....

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I'm against these headcase for headcase trades. I think a trade like Phoenix got for Marbury would be best. But who would do that for us?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I think we're as much on the New York side of that deal as the Phoenix side since we're offering mucho cap room...

I definitely think that we could have picked up Marbury for Sheed if we wanted to - but hey, who needs a point guard? We have Damon!

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
One thing's FOR SURE:

If Nash felt the need to bring Allen into the loop, it must be something he (Nash) likes.

RADAR UP, people!

PBF

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NateBishop3</b>!
Sheed for Jamison and Wahad is a TERRIBLE trade. If we do that they better toss in Josh Howard as well. Otherwise we're taking it up the tail pipe. If Nash makes this move I will have lost a lot of confidence in him.
I agree, Nate. Two things though:

1. That might not be all there is to it. Remember, Nash's claim to fame is large, multi-team deals.

2. If Rasheed really did stage a one-man strike for an extension, Allen/Nash might want him gone bad enough to do this.

PBF

·
Registered
662 Posts
I know i will get flamed for this but here i go.

I think gettin Tariq is the worst part of the trade. Jamison I think would be a pretty good addition, plus how old is he? 25-26? I think adding him would be good because. He comes to play a lot more than Sheed so, teams will have to watch out for him. IF they throw in Howard or a pick i say we do it.

Davis/Stepania/RBB
Zach/Davis/Patterson
Jamison/Patterson/Woods
Anderson/Woods/Person
Mcinnis/Damon

See, if they double team Zach and leave Tawn open, he will go off. IF they double team Twan they we can give it to Zach. Plus Jamison brings more every night then SHeed. I still wouldnt mind keepin Sheed but I g2g.

Peace,
Shorty

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NateBishop3</b>!
Even getting Howard, the deal would stink. It puts the Blazers right back out of the FA running for 2005 and the Blazers still would be a lottery team for the foreseeable future... unless they were able to move Damon and Dale (as expiring contracts) next year for good players, and if the luxury tax is gone as anticipated teams will be less willing to give up quality for expiring deals.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts