Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked how Tony Allen was taking his demotion from the starting lineup, Doc Rivers said, ``Probably not great.''

In fact Allen has been dealing with it as well as any coach could hope. The rookie has taken the disappointment with understanding and resolve.

``It was a privilege that's been taken from me, but I know that it was what I was doing on the court that made me lose that spot,'' Allen said. ``I wasn't doing the little things, and I know that now. Basically all it is is about me bringing it like I was and hopefully I can get back into that position. But I think it was a good move for the team.

``I just think that was a good decision for the team. Delonte (West) missed a few games, but he showed he's been working hard and he wanted to play. He did it in practice and it carried over. He showed Doc in practice and Doc saw he could trust him by what he was doing there. That's just what's up. The bottom line is you've got to win, and we all have to show that we're going to do what it takes.

``When I get back out there I've just got to show them I'm ready to hoop and just go from there.''

Looking at Allen's playing time prognosis, Rivers said, ``When you pick your play up and your intensity up and your focus up, then you will pick your minutes up. That's just the way it should be. But I give him credit. He's been working on it.''
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=77639

·
Registered
472 Posts
Is it just me or are all of our young guys really class acts. Delonte never got down when he missed all those games early in the year and kept himself ready for when he got the chance. Perk has more DNP-CD's than anyone other than Reed but both of those guys accept their roles and when they get the opportunities they go out their and bust their tails. Allen is a real competitor but he's also one of the biggest cheerleaders when he's not in the game. He and Perk are usually the first ones to jump up off the bench the cheer on the guys on the floor instead of sitting on the bench sulking like at least a couple of the vets seem to do all the time. They are competitors and hate not being on the floor, but they want to win first and foremost and don't seem to mind sacrificing their individual games if it helps the team. Rather than crying about not getting the PT they just try harder. I like guys with that atitude and when they have the kind of talent these guys have it gives me a lot of hope for the future of this team.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
BackwoodsBum, I totally agree.

I just love their spirits. Even when they're not in the game, they still cheer for the team. They try to keep everyone motivated, high five them, jump up and down on the bench. It's great to have players like that, especially when they're so young. I mean, how many young players do you see that would do that? In most cases you'll see players complain to the media, the coach, or even sit out games because they feel they have been disrespected. Not with our youngsters.

Their heads are always up high.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thats great news for the team and Allen, you can tell hes really developing as a person and a player :clap:

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Great to hear that he is taking this demotion with class. I think he recognizes that rookies don't have the right to ***** about playing time, which is fantastic. I can't wait to see this guy next season when he realizes how long a NBA season really is and is ready for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts