Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I hard earlier in the year that AI was "quietly" available, if not on the block.

One can see why, given that the Sixers haven't exactly looked like a championship team this year. Of course, they've had injuries to almost everyone too.

Anyway, I think this trade will never happen because I think AI is too hip hop for Reinsdorf and Paxson, and he and Skiles will certainly have to accomodate each other. Practice? We're talking about Practice??!!

But look deeper and I see better stuff. AI may not practice the way Skiles wants, but he damn sure leaves it all on the court when he plays, and that will be greatly appreciated. And AI himself seemed to like, buy in, and grow significantly under Larry Brown. Perhaps Skiles can complete the process.

I think it'd be worth the risk because what I see is that AI made it to the finals with a tough disciplinarian coach (Brown), and basically Eric Snow and an aged Mutombo. With the Bulls, you could maybe pair a still young AI with a younger better Snow (Kirk) and a younger, maybe better Mutombo (Tyson). Put the right pieces in place and this could be an awesome team.

So here's the trade:
Curry, Crawford, ERob, Fizer, Blount
for
Iverson, Jackson, Salmons, Korver, McAskill

The Bulls:
1- Hinrich, Pippen, Brunson, Jay (IR)
2- AI, Gill, Green (IR)
3- Salmons, Korver, Dupree (IR)
4- AD, JYD, McAskill (IR)
5- Chandler, Jackson

If we could pull off a trade like this, we'd be looking good. Hinrich and Salmons could be groomed the primary defenders we need to have AI at the 2. With good help guys like Kirk, AD, JYD, and Chandler, we'd be a good defensive team. With an electric guy like AI, and then guys like Hinrich and Korver to drain open shots, we'd create a lot of space on offense.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
AI is too hip hop, but other than that, why not??

AI was going to be traded for stackhouse and someone else a couple of years ago.

AI can't shoot either, but he does get to the line and slash. That is what I have wanted Jamal to do all along.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Very unrealistic trade. Does it even work within the salary cap? Iverson signed a huge contract in the offseason.

I have a hard time believing the credibility of any report suggesting that Iverson would be traded for anyone except for Duncan, KG, T-Mac or Lebron.

He is the Sixers franchise.

He's my favorite player. So obviously I'd love to see him as a Bull. But that just sounds really unrealistic.

And the fact that you throw in Salmons, Jackson, Korver as throw-ins doesn't make it more believable. Salmons is actually pretty good. Jackson is solid. Korver can knock down the 3 off the bench.

Don't you think Philly could get a better deal for Iverson if they were wanting to trade him?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would love for that trade to happen. I just don't see the Sixers giving up AI.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
oh. And what's this "too hip hop" thing? Hiphop is the predominant american music right now. It's influences are everywhere. It's here to stay.

Iverson is the fiercest competitor in the league since Jordan.

And MJ was "too hiphop" when he came into the league as well. Rocking gold chains in the dunk contest. Long shorts. All of that.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
IMO the sixers don't look that bad without AI. Not great, but it is unfair to say that AI is the Sixers franchise. If they got something descent in exchange for him they would be an OK team.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
Very unrealistic trade. Does it even work within the salary cap? Iverson signed a huge contract in the offseason.

I have a hard time believing the credibility of any report suggesting that Iverson would be traded for anyone except for Duncan, KG, T-Mac or Lebron.

He is the Sixers franchise.

He's my favorite player. So obviously I'd love to see him as a Bull. But that just sounds really unrealistic.

And the fact that you throw in Salmons, Jackson, Korver as throw-ins doesn't make it more believable. Salmons is actually pretty good. Jackson is solid. Korver can knock down the 3 off the bench.

Don't you think Philly could get a better deal for Iverson if they were wanting to trade him?
Which superstar did the Suns get for Marbury?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
the only question on AI is how much longer can he stay at this level? at 5-11 165, i just dont think he has more then a year or 2 at his current level. But i love his game

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mo76</b>!
IMO the sixers don't look that bad without AI. Not great, but it is unfair to say that AI is the Sixers franchise. If they got something descent in exchange for him they would be an OK team.
It is fair to say that Iverson is the Sixers franchise. He has ALONE has made Philly one of the top ticket teams to every arena they go to. They do look bad without him and it can be seen in the time he was out. The sixers would be terrible and no one would come to the games if he was traded. That being said that is a silly rumor and Billy King knows that if that was to happen the city would be turned upside down. Also I agree with you Rlucas I think he can only be a SG for about 2 more years tops and then you will see him become a fulltime PG.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBullz</b>!

Which superstar did the Suns get for Marbury?
McDyess' expiring max contract...

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mo76</b>!
Not sure what Sixers team you've been watching. 3-7 in ten games without him, I believe.

And even if the Sixers got rid of Iverson they still wouldn't have the money to go out and get another star. They've got Kenny Thomas, Eric Snow, Aaron Mckie, all signed to bad fat contracts.

Iverson is one of the most popular players in the league. And in Philly he is like a God. I can't even imagine the Sixers without Iverson.

Of course they did get rid of Barkley eventually. And you saw the result until they lucked into Iverson.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why don't you run it through the trade checker if you think it doesn't work? Just be sure to come back and tell us the results.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh. And what's this "too hip hop" thing? Hiphop is the predominant american music right now. It's influences are everywhere. It's here to stay.

Iverson is the fiercest competitor in the league since Jordan.

And MJ was "too hiphop" when he came into the league as well. Rocking gold chains in the dunk contest. Long shorts. All of that.
:jawdrop:

:laugh:

I'm absolutely speachless at this one dude. I guess it was my fault for being using a bit of a euphemism there (that creativity and imagination will get you every time). OK, let me re-phrase it. In a way that will be absolutely clear:

AI, right or wrong, is a posterchild for everything that scares old people about young people and white people about black people.

MJ was a posterchild for McDonalds, mom, and apple pie.

AI is a dividing line. MJ was a bridge.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!

AI, right or wrong, is a posterchild for everything that scares old people about young people and white people about black people.

MJ was a posterchild for McDonalds, mom, and apple pie.

AI is a dividing line. MJ was a bridge.
I thought that was what you meant. I just hoped against hope that it wasn't.

It's a shame more people can't judge the kid by the size of his heart instead of the amount of tats and cornrows.(And his heart on and off the court has proven to be exceedingly large. His work in the community has always been stellar. And on the court there's no one playing today who wants it more.)

I guess we're still a long ways away from where Dr. King wanted us to be.(his birthday/holiday coming up, by the by).

AI is also the posterchild for the american dream. Rags to riches. Second chances. All that **** that this country is really truly about. It just comes rapped in a package that a lot of people refuse to look past.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
the only question on AI is how much longer can he stay at this level? at 5-11 165, i just dont think he has more then a year or 2 at his current level. But i love his game
Sorry, Iverson is a poor leader. He has a lot of tatoos, a gangster attitude and didn't finish college in 3 years witha 3.9GPA.
Iverson = Worst leader Ever

* note the sarcasm :laugh:

·
Registered
8,604 Posts

It's a shame more people can't judge the kid by the size of his heart instead of the amount of tats and cornrows.(And his heart on and off the court has proven to be exceedingly large. His work in the community has always been stellar. And on the court there's no one playing today who wants it more.)

I guess we're still a long ways away from where Dr. King wanted us to be.(his birthday/holiday coming up, by the by).

AI is also the posterchild for the american dream. Rags to riches. Second chances. All that **** that this country is really truly about. It just comes rapped in a package that a lot of people refuse to look past.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

but do we really think that "The Answer" is the answer for the Bulls. come on, be honest.

no.

and MJ still cheated on his wife. MikeDC that is not as american as apple pie IMO.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

but do we really think that "The Answer" is the answer for the Bulls. come on, be honest.

no.

and MJ still cheated on his wife. MikeDC that is not as american as apple pie IMO.
No I just said I'd like to see my favorite player on my favorite team.

But it wouldn't be the best thing for either party. Iverson is too old and has too much wear on his tires to go through a rebuilding time with the Bulls. The Bulls, minus Crawford and Curry, plus Okafor isn't going to be better in the next 3 years than what Philly currently has .

And I agree that Iverson probably only has 2 years at most, left, playing SG. He's changing his game to compensate for that already. He'll be a fullfledged point guard very soon. He'll be damn good at it too. He was pretty good at it when he came into the league. But I think his understanding and trust in his teammates is much greater now.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I don't so much disagree. That is, I see both sides of it. Yeah, MJ was out getting his freak on, but you also never heard MJ disclaiming the worth of practice.

Personally, I'd absolutely love to get AI for most of the reasons you've said above. He's a fearless basketball player and he has given a lot off the court too.

Yet, it'd be wrong to not admit there are some warts that turn people off, and it's not just everyone else's fault. AI's been associated with violence, gangs, guns, and generally not getting the right way to go about things, even if he's at root a good guy.

There's enough there, at least, to give people legitimate reasons not to want him. Even if you're his biggest fan, you've got to admit that.

That's one of the reasons I think he's so interesting- he is that study in contrasts- a remarkable combination of really good and really bad qualities.

------------------------------------

I don't think, though, that if we got AI, at least in that kind of deal, we'd face a long rebuilding. Like I said, I'd really like to see what AI, Chandler, Kirk, and Salmons could do. Throw in AD and JYD and we've got a bad *** team.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
I'm sorry Mikey, but I just can't see the 6ers dealing AI- Weird.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts