Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wrong About Everything
13,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alot of people argue that Thomas was better because he won more, and others argue that AI just never had the supporting cast. But the question of this thread is, if you were a GM with a brand new team, trying to build around one of these two stars, which would it be?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd choose AI. I usually am one of those people that argues that the best player is the best winner, but certain athletic freaks get exceptions to this rule due to circumstances that were beyond their control. In AI's case, it's a dumb GM. Another player who gets exception is another Philadelphian, Wilt Chamberlain. If we take the winners argument, then Russell and Abdul-Jabbar are clearly better. However, when you take into account the other factors, like dominance and such, you get to see a more clear picture with playing freaks like AI and Wilt.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'de pick Iverson. Hands down. It's just so fun to watch a player who is 200% so dedicated to his team. Where do you see a skinny 6 footer who gets beaten up every single game trying to lead his team to victory? Even with a weak supporting cast, Iverson still gives it his all even though it looks impossible for them to win.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
what an awful dilemma to have :biggrin:

AI, if he were playing next to joe dumars, vinne j, dennis rodman, mark aguirre, bill laimbeer...

I have to think that team would be beating the crap out of people in a way similar to the pistons teams that won championships.

But if I only get one to build around... tough question. AI is the smart pick here, posting on a sixer forum, but Isaiah scored close to 20 points in a quarter in the playoffs on a broken foot. I can never see AI doing that (especially if his team doesn't make the playoffs).

·
Wrong About Everything
13,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hirschmanz said:
what an awful dilemma to have :biggrin:

AI, if he were playing next to joe dumars, vinne j, dennis rodman, mark aguirre, bill laimbeer...

I have to think that team would be beating the crap out of people in a way similar to the pistons teams that won championships.

But if I only get one to build around... tough question. AI is the smart pick here, posting on a sixer forum, but Isaiah scored close to 20 points in a quarter in the playoffs on a broken foot. I can never see AI doing that (especially if his team doesn't make the playoffs).
How much did Iverson average against Boston with a broken hand?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.